Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheists signs blocked in NY

Default Re: Atheists signs blocked in NY

Don't think I didn't notice that you uncapitalized those words kr.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    B/c most of the atheists have an agenda to BE RIGHT & MAKE EVERYONE ELSE WRONG & make sure they KNOW THIS b/c they have the proof...
    Where does your presumption that most Atheists have an agenda come from??
    I am an atheist and do not have any agenda. I cannot recall ever meeting someone who is aggressively atheist although I have met many aggressive Christians.
    Personally, I feel that any Atheists who feel a need to join atheists groups and rent billboards to harass religious people are 1st class A-holes.

ODH I agree with you but there has been a movement over the last decade to organize atheists in the same manner that religious people gather. I believe that Atheist groups are essentially religious groups and I have met plenty of aggressive atheists over time, not at my door or beating people but simply aggressive in their beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I am an atheist and do not have any agenda. I cannot recall ever meeting someone who is aggressively atheist although I have met many aggressive Christians.
    Personally, I feel that any Atheists who feel a need to join atheists groups and rent billboards to harass religious people are 1st class A-holes.
    Come on. You may be a normal citizen who just happens to be atheist, but a lot aren't. The people who freak out whenever they see a cross on public land or the Ten Commandments in a public school.......If it doesn't affect them, then why do they freak out? Why can't public schools say the Pledge of Allegiance without some atheist freaking out? Why are atheist the only ones who are allowed to be offended? What if I'm offended by the atheist speaking on public ground? Why can't I sue them?

I agree with you that atheists who do that stuff are a-holes.

I am all for the seperation of Church and State and agree, in general, that outiright religous symbols like crosses and nativity scenes do not belong on public land, but really can't get too fired up about it to raise a stink.

However, to cite a few examples that do bother me are the Judge in Alambama a few years ago who had the Ten Commandments monument in his courthouse and people quoting scripture to argue against same sex marriage.

Listening to Rick Santorum campaign speeches makes me really uncomfortable (although secretly I wish he would win the nomination because I think that guarentees Obama a second term)

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    ODH I agree with you but there has been a movement over the last decade to organize atheists in the same manner that religious people gather. I believe that Atheist groups are essentially religious groups and I have met plenty of aggressive atheists over time, not at my door or beating people but simply aggressive in their beliefs.
    I have heard about these groups in news reports but have never met or knew of someone who was personally involved. I don't know what attitudes towards religion are in your part of the country, but maybe becasue people be more reserved about their relgious beliefs in New England, the atheists are less vocal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Then you would not be MOST then would you? It is not a presumption. It is EXPERIENCE.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Don't think I didn't notice that you uncapitalized those words kr.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Come on. You may be a normal citizen who just happens to be atheist, but a lot aren't. The people who freak out whenever they see a cross on public land or the Ten Commandments in a public school.......If it doesn't affect them, then why do they freak out? Why can't public schools say the Pledge of Allegiance without some atheist freaking out? Why are atheist the only ones who are allowed to be offended? What if I'm offended by the atheist speaking on public ground? Why can't I sue them?

I agree with you that atheists who do that stuff are a-holes.
    Well I'm one of those people who is offended by a cross on public land or "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance or "in God we trust" on money, etc. etc. I'm not a militant atheist and am not a member of any atheist groups, and I am dead against anyone (Christian, Atheist or whatever) trying to force his beliefs on anyone else, but I believe that it is totally improper for a government which represents all the people to include any reference to a specific religious belief in any of its official documents or buildings.

I am not anti-religion or anti-free speech. I am against religion in government. I have no problem with Santa Claus greeting people with "Merry Christmas" in Walmart or nativity scenes on people's front lawns. These are private people expressing their beliefs. They don't represent me. The government does. If this makes me an a-hole in some people's minds, then maybe their minds need to open up a little bit.

No offense meant, Quinn, but I do think I'm right about this and I don't think that you can group people like ODH and myself who simply want government to be religiously neutral with militant atheists who cringe at the word "God" like the Wicked Witch in a rainstorm.
    Last edited by Spider; 03-08-2012 at 10:02 AM.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.