Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Burroughs will be our only Freestyle Olympic Gold

Default Re: Burroughs will be our only Freestyle Olympic Gold

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    This could be a dumb question, but what are Metcalf's chances? The last tournament I watched him in he looked really good. Does he at least have a medal shot?
    I think metcalf won't win but if he is on he could have a really good chance the 12 months he has become much more agressive in leg attacks and has really looked a completely new threat Akzent posted that the russians were very impressed with him this past month when the US team did a camp in russia but then he went and lost at the yarygin, at the test event he blew through the draw and blasted hasanov who most thought was the favourate for the 2011 worlds, i think the iranian style with taghavi will give him problems though a guy with better leg attacks and excellent leg defense.

With burroughs last year he beat everybody every top guy who i thought to put up against him he beat blanco, goudarzi, geduev, tsargush and aliyev he beat them all under adversity so would it be suprising if he went all the way again this year? I don't think it'd be that suprising but i'm interested to see how those guys have adapted to losing those matches and prepared for a future encounter with him.
    I think at 60kg cejudo should get training and less touring, otherwise bunch should go, otherwise a medal is no way going to happen, i think thats the us' weakest weight.
    120 dlagnev is good but i don't see him medalling unless he has a barnburner of a tournament.
    96 varner is doing great but in a stacked division him medalling is difficult to call, but he medalled at worlds so who knows.
    55- send escobedo, if they send anyone else they have no chance of a medal.

I don't see anyone but Burroughs with a solid chance. You can bet Burroughs competition will be prepared better than at Worlds.

After him it is possible Varner might take third but I doubt he will place higher - unless his draw is the proverbial weak one.

Dlagnev will be lucky to place at all.

Anyone else is a pipe dream even if they show a lot of improvement.

Cael will most likely stay home as his attempt this year got him the publicity he wanted to help recruiting for Penn State and he knows he is good but "not there" for the Gold. He can't spend the time in preparation needed to get ready for World competition. US competitors - no problem. But that isn't good enough and I don't think he'll want to go and not place top 3 so recruits don't think he has 'lost it' and go elsewhere.

It is possible, tho doubtful, that we could have one more Bronze in the group if someone gets really hot at the right time.

I am amazed at how quickly americans have abandoned JB and the rest of their wrestlers. Tsargush was at the top of his game at Worlds and JB beat him convincingly. Tsargush was lucky to take him to the 3rd round. He was so broken after the match he barely beat Ukraine and lost to a south american.

As for the rest of Team USA, look at USA's results in 2010 and compare them to 2011. They've done an incredible job of ramping up their national team. Where did Cejudo rank internationally heading into the Olympics? Was he even a name? I think the USA is in a very good position at this point and if their progress in the last year is any indication, they will do very well in this Olympics.

Why am I the one defending the american team? I thought everyone on this forum bled red, white and blue.

Metcalf has a shot for sure. Right now he's winning some and losing some against the top wrestlers. If he catches fire at the right time I don't see why he couldn't win. Taghavi, the defending champ, recently lost to another Iranian in their league. Definitely beatable.

Judo and GbDaz, I remember that throw Goudrazi got, that was a 50/50 call and and it went in Burrough's favor. Perhaps I need to rewatch the match but I remember Burroughs scoring almost at will the rest of the match. Burroughs is just so hard to game plan for, even if you know his style. He's so fast you don't want to give him space, but he's so strong it's hard to control the ties against him.

I stick by my opinion. JB is a slight favorite over Tsargush (maybe 55/45) and a big favorite over Goudrazi. In time we'll see if I'm right or not.

Many of you are also completely discounting the fact that JB was a relative freestyle novice. Having only trained Free from March on. He will be well versed come London.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

As to training for burroughs will be easier now that they have seen him doesnt make sense to me... They know what he can do now but how do you train against something that only he can do in the world with his quickness and strength. I agree with vais he was only new to the game and won gold imagine a year of training only freestyle will do!

I'm glad we're more optimistic. Looking back, how many people looked at the way Cael wrestled and said "he only has ankle picks". People like burroughs, smith and cael are the hardest type of wrestler to beat, because they extremely good at their go to attack. How would a russian prepare to beat someone like Burroughs? I'm not saying he is a sure thing, but I think the rest of the world has their work cut out for them to beat him.

Regarding the other weights, each is so highly contested in USA that who knows if Metcalf, Varner, Cael or Bunch will even make the team? They're favorites but each weight is pretty deep.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Many of you are also completely discounting the fact that JB was a relative freestyle novice. Having only trained Free from March on. He will be well versed come London.
    Exactly. Though I can't imagine either one of them even considering John Smith a favorite to win the World title cerca '89-91. That's not to say I consider Burroughs anywhere remotely approaching a lock, but to say with certainty that he's a level below both of them after winning the world title his first time wrestling freestyle in years is biased, there's no other way to put it. If either one of them have some compelling reason to believe that Burroughs has no room for improvement then I'd love to hear it, until they provide some sort of substantive rationale they're both being biased against Americans. To be fair, we're biased in favor of Americans all the time too, so I'm not trying to put them down, just calling it how I see it. If the Russian coach tells the media that Burroughs was the best technician at the 2011 Worlds (or at least the best performance, don't remember his exact words) then you're just in denial at this point to doubt his abilities, especially relative to Goudarzi who is excellent but has failed to win the World title for three years now.