Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 National Wrestling Team Rankings

Default Re: 2009 National Wrestling Team Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Badcat View Post
    eh...this list is about as worthless as the BCS. It's all opinion. Until the best 10 - 12 teams in the country are put in a head to head Dual, it's all hersey
    That is never going to happen with HS teams, unlike college football where it hsould happen.
    There are not any HS sports that have a true national championship.
    In wrestling, because of Fargo and other "national" tournaments" it is reasonable to national rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Badcat View Post
    Not really, by the time you hit 10 or 12...it's a reach anyways.

I agree that Blair should be #1 and St. Graham is #2, followed by Central Dauphin and then Apple.

I can't believe Shady Side Academy isn't even on the list.
    Why would #13 be any more of a reach than #1? As is apparent by these rankings, not everyone (or even close) has the same opinion as to who the #1 team truly is. You can argue all you want about the top 3, top 5, top 10, top 20, etc.. but eventually the #4, #6, #11, or #21 team is going to think they should be one place higher and vying for that national title.

I personally think the results would go:

#1 Blair Academy
    #2 St. Paris
    #2 Apple Valley
    #2 Ctrl Dauphin

Its impossible to guess how these kids would compete against each other unless they have a quad at the end of the year. If you get the top 8-10 teams in there you will likely have more people agreeing with the selection, but the #11 team will still think they had a shot.. and without involving them, they have the right to think so.

Right now you've got AWN's rankings (the best out there) based mostly on individual events that take place at the beginning of the season. While Ironman, Beast, Reno, & The Clash are major factors in the season a team (and individuals even more so) can improve so much in the two months following these tournaments it isn't even funny.

Think about the difference between Caldwell vs. Metcalf at the All-Star Classic and NCAAs... a completely different person seemed to be on the mat for NCSt.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    Why would #13 be any more of a reach than #1? As is apparent by these rankings, not everyone (or even close) has the same opinion as to who the #1 team truly is. You can argue all you want about the top 3, top 5, top 10, top 20, etc.. but eventually the #4, #6, #11, or #21 team is going to think they should be one place higher and vying for that national title.

I personally think the results would go:

#1 Blair Academy
    #2 St. Paris
    #2 Apple Valley
    #2 Ctrl Dauphin

Its impossible to guess how these kids would compete against each other unless they have a quad at the end of the year. If you get the top 8-10 teams in there you will likely have more people agreeing with the selection, but the #11 team will still think they had a shot.. and without involving them, they have the right to think so.

Right now you've got AWN's rankings (the best out there) based mostly on individual events that take place at the beginning of the season. While Ironman, Beast, Reno, & The Clash are major factors in the season a team (and individuals even more so) can improve so much in the two months following these tournaments it isn't even funny.

Think about the difference between Caldwell vs. Metcalf at the All-Star Classic and NCAAs... a completely different person seemed to be on the mat for NCSt.
    There is a reach just based on the #4 team in your list (CD) wrestling Blair. If that were to happen, and Lord Knows that I'd travel to California to see that dual) I think Blair walks away with the win and it's not that close. For a #13 to even Wrestle Blair, let alone CD, is a reach in of itself.

You have to draw a line in the sand somewhere and leave someone wondering "what-if" Look at the Men's Penn State *gulp* basketball team. They got dissed for the tourney, end up in the NIT and are kicking butt. Sure they have a chip on thier shoulders, sure they are wondering what if. But it is what it is.

As for my BCS comment, It's wishful thinking that Wrestling would establish a National Duals in HS. I realize that it will never happen. Don't crush a man's dream though. ha ha.