Thread: Conditioning & Strength Training In-Season Questions

Electric!! Conditioning & Strength Training In-Season Questions

At my high school we have A and B days. On B days I have weight lifting in the morning (but we must do the teacher's workout). The days alternate everyday, so if it was ABABA one week the next week it's BABAB. I live about 2 miles from the school and since I don't ride the athletics bus home (b/c of a fee) I just walk that two miles home after practice. I also like to practice dance in my free time as well for an hour or two. I dont know if all those details were nessacary but I thought I'd let you all know them.

Now I wrestle after school from 2:45pm-5:15pm every weekday, and 9:00am-10:15am on Saturdays.

I was wondering what extra cardio/strength training I could do (also how heavy i should lift in my weight training class since it's the in-season now) to get myself in condition faster/more.

HIIT?

Body weight weight training?

Grip training?

What? lol

This is a future thanks for all the help and advice you all may give to me.

Default Re: Conditioning & Strength Training In-Season Questions

I prefer HIIT training over traditional conditioning. It simulates a wrestling match more closely than long-distance running because you have sprints and short rest periods. When I do it, I do intervals of either 2 minute sprints and 1 minute rest or 1 minute with 30 seconds rest. You can also do this with a jump rope if you have one.

As for body weight training, I would only do this if you have no access to a gym. Regular weightlifting, especially olympic movements such as power cleans, are ideal. At my school, we usually do 5 X 5 of the four main lifts - bench, squat, deadlift, and clean. We do the minor lifts if we have time.

A good way to train your grip is to buy one of those grippers and use that. Some alternatives are tennis ball squeezes and plate pinches. My favorite for grip is towel hangs (if you have access to a pullup bar). Deadlifts also indirectly work your forearms.