Thread: I need help getting noticed

Default I need help getting noticed

Im a junior rising to be a senior. In three years of wrestling i've never been to state. I want to wrestle in college. What would be some good tournaments to get noticed at?

Default Re: I need help getting noticed

tournaments dont get you noticed results do. from there its your coaches that will get the buzz about you to the college coaches.

Results do get the attention of Coaches but so does your attitude and toughness. I know many kids who never won a state title or runner -up but still got looks from D-II, D-III and NAIA JC schools. They got looks and partial scholarships because of their toughness and the coaches thought they could transition into a college wrestler. If you dont get the looks you can always attempt a walk on. Get your technique down and get tough and you might end up wrestling in college, probably not D-1 but somewhere. Along with this you will need to at least place at state.

My brother is a perfect example, he had knee surgery as a junior and then placed 4th as a senior, but because he was in every match and wrestled tough Embry-Riddle offered him a partial I believe a tier 2 scholarship based on what they thought he could do in college.
    Last edited by UGLY; 01-14-2010 at 04:56 AM.

Are you looking for a scholarship ? Or just a place to wrestle ? I know you can walk on nearly any campus -in fact -most schools have a form you can fill out on their web page -a lot of kids have to walk on and prove themselves -if your grades and SAT's are in order you can fill out a form and a ot of coaches would welcome you -if you get there and can't cut it -they are out nothing and you took your best shot .
    If you are 12-15 Realistically you are facing an uphill battle and should find a large state school with a wrestling club or intramural program or a small school just starting ;
    I was a walk on and the academics and the demand of Big 10 wrestling were WAY too much for me -So I wrestled intramural -Good luck .

There are some tournaments that you can hit that will help however- Jr. Regionals (West regional used to be held at same time/place as Sr. Open) Jr. Nationals in Fargo, University Nationals (accepts HS seniors I think). All of these tourneys have lots of college coaches in attendance or competing. Also, if you are still a Jr. go to a camp or several camps at colleges you want to attend. It is a good chance to do what Brother Ugly suggests - show your attitude (focused and hard worker who will always go the extra mile) technique, teachability and toughness. It is a great place for coaches to get to know you over the course of a couple of weeks. Best of luck Brother