Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Greatest wrestler of all time from your state?

Default Re: Greatest wrestler of all time from your state?

NJ, I have to stick with Damion Hahn. Its a tough race, but his high school career was so darn dominant that being a 4x all american, and winning only 2 NCAA titles was actually a disappointment to many.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Do they just not have a lot of HS programs in VT, NH and Maine? I would think that someone else would break out of there and at least make a splash in DI like Hamlin. That is assuming that there are HS programs in nearly every school. And honestly, a girl is the best from Maine? I've never heard of her and she may be an Olympian, but if they have girls wrestling in Maine there should be some guys who come out of there too. Unless hockey is so big there that no guys really wrestle. I am a bit confused and disappointed at the list for those states.
    Well in Northern New England (VT, NH ME) there are just not that many people so there are not that many wrestlers. Maybe ? to 1/3 of the schools have wrestling teams. Hockey is more popular and most High Schools have a hockey team. All three of the state university has competitive DI hockey teams with Maine winning a few titles and I think UNH being runnerup a few times.

I coached a little bit in Vermont and there not that many schools and almost none of them have a full lineup. Everyone qualifies for States and while most of the finalists are quality wrestlers, there is a big drop off after 3/4 place in most weight classes. There is only one decent school, Mt. St. Anthony, which has won the last 25 state titles. They travel to other states for competition and can hold their own against good teams from well regarded states. Usually they have at least 10 guys in the state finals.

New Hampshire is steadily improving and is regularly sending the top wrestlers to DI schools. There have been a handful of AA's but no one has really broken through the real top tier, though I suspect someone will soon.

I am not as familiar with Maine, but they are generally regarded as the worst state in New England. Deanna Rix has won nationals a few times and was high on the national ladder right after HS. As far as male wrestlers the only one I know with significant accomplishments is Tom Layte who won DIII national and was named OW while wrestling for Augsburg. He is now the coach at MIT.

Thanks ODH, I did not know that. I knew hockey was big there, but I kinda figured that would lead to wrestling too since they are both physical.

Poll from Yappi.com

View Poll Results: Best Ohio Wrestler in HS and COLLEGE!! Alan Fried 24 29.27% Lee Kemp 16 19.51% Jim Jordan 9 10.98% J Jaggers 9 10.98% Dustin Schlatter 8 9.76% Other (List Below) 5 6.10% Tommy Rowlands 4 4.88% Tom Milkovich 3 3.66% Lance Palmer 2 2.44% Jeff Jordan 1 1.22% Joe Heskett 1 1.22% Pat Milkovich 0 0% Ken Ramsey 0 0% Ryan Lang 0 0% Kevin Randleman 0 0% Marcus Mollica 0 0% Dan St. John 0 0%
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

I remember watching Fried when I was in jr high. He was a stud. Never saw Jim or Jeff Jordan wrestle but I think one was 150-1 and the other was 158-1. Jim was a 2x NCAA champ and beat John Smith to win one of them. But with the overall body of work, I have to go with Kemp b/c he was not only champ in HS and NCAA but also internationally. I also suspect that D. Taylor will be moving up that list pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by gobigred View Post
    Wow, KR I couldn't disagree with this post more. Your knowledge in these areas, like many things outside of Penn state wrestling, is clearly limited. I will say no more on this topic clearly unrelated to wrestling unless you want to do via PM. But, wow!
    Send me a PM if you would like. It is an area I have been professionally involved with for at least 16 years.

Quote Originally Posted by leglace View Post
    NJ, I have to stick with Damion Hahn. Its a tough race, but his high school career was so darn dominant that being a 4x all american, and winning only 2 NCAA titles was actually a disappointment to many.
    Mocco has to have the equal un HS, slightly better in college and then better international. Nobody likes thinking as heavies as the best ever becasue their techniques aren't as impressive, but it hard to argue with results

NCAA Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    I thought that Dave Shultz would have gotten the nod for California.
    Dave Schultz, Eric Guerrero, Steve Abas - take your pick.

Any chance of sending this one back to the wrestling forums? It seems to have been put into the political forum in haste.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal