Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duvel

Default Re: Duvel

No it's an Oregon Beer (still NW) look in the Salem OR area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Do you have a link to the site?
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    No it's an Oregon Beer (still NW) look in the Salem OR area.
    Cool. They section it all off with NW, SW, MW, SE.......It should be in that section. I will give it a shot. Thanks

Seven Brides makes several nice beers - I have had a very nice pale ale and an excellent brown ale from them while visiting Portland.
    I have enjoyed a glass or twelve of Dortmunder Union, Pilsner Urquell, and Gosser - excellent. But I like my beers a bit chewier than your lists - except, of course for Flop's Guinness.
    Some suggestions:
    Imported
    Unibroue Trois Pistoles - A really different dark beer - something between a porter and a stout, with the added complexity of using Belgian yeast. Dark mahogany with a fruit nose.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout - A medium bodied, dark beer; smooth, creamy, and not too dry, ; very well-balanced. The aroma has always bothered me a bit, to me smelling a little burnt. I guess that's the "roasted" cocoa beans.

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast - Really hard to find, but worth the search. The only stout I would admit that competes with my own brew as a favorite. This oatmeal stout blends coffee and chocolate.

Belhaven Scottish Ale Not as dark or rich as the stouts, but a beautiful clean looking dark brown beer with a gorgeous head. Very complex flavors, nicely balanced between the rich malts and a hoppy finish.

Some domestics you might want to try:

Marin Brewing San Quentin Breakout Stout - This beer is absolutely black, rich, and smokey. It has a head that stands firm until the last bit is drained from the glass. Very complex, very smooth on the tongue.

Shipyard Signature Imperial Porter - Very complex, very creamy, with neither malt nor hops predominating. I taste caramel at first, with the hops more in the after-taste.

He'Brew Messiah Bold - Again, a very complex beer, but not as heavy as the stout or porter - this is a beautiful nut brown ale. Very nicely balanced, with the hops nicely balancing the rich malt. And Kosher!

Unfortunately, I cannot offer you the best of the lot - Two Dog Brewing's Barking Dog Stout - A chocolate stout but with 1 gallon (out of 5) of the water replaced by a gallon of strong French Roast coffee. Double-pitched with White Labs Irish Ale yeast, Fuggle hops, and yeast boost to increase the alcohol a bit. As Ben Franklin said - Proof that God loves us! For those of you unfamiliar with Two Dog Brewing, it is located in my kitchen, with production limited to 5 gallons at a time. The last bottles of Barking Dog were consumed during 4th of July celebrations.
    I do have plans for another batch, but plan to try something a bit different. I want to start the beer with Cascade and Fuggle hops, and then re-hop mid-fermentation and at the finish with Pacific Jade. I am looking for a dark stout, but with the aroma and bitterness of an IPA.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

In June a few friends and I decided to do a little summer stout tasting. The fallen soldiers. A lot worse ways to spend a day.

StoutTasting6-11.jpg picture by fsvan - Photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    But I like my beers a bit chewier than your lists - except, of course for Flop's Guinness.
    After reading through your list I'm pretty certain we could belly up to the bar with the same glasses of beer. I'm going to have to look into a few of your recommendations. BevMo tends to carry some semi-obscure stuff, so I'll start there.

Thanks M! This is really turning out to be very informative. Let the lists keep coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    Do you have a link to the site?
    If you were asking me about Jungle Jim's, here is the site.

Jungle Jim's International Market

It would be much easier for me to give you a wine list rather than a beer list, because I usually drink wine unless I'm having sushi, Thai food, mexican food, pizza, and some BBQ's. I also can't stand beer that tastes fruity or needs to have fruit added to it. So, my experience is within a bit of a narrow range, but here are a few favorites.

Guinness (#1, nothing else is close)
    Stella Artois (just had a keg of it at our fantasty football draft last Friday, good beer if you plan on drinking 9 or 12)
    Fat Tire
    Kona Longboard
    Blue Moon
    Alaskan Amber
    Sierra Nevada - I like this if I'm only drinking one or two. It's such a hearty beer that makes it difficult for me to drink more than a couple.
    Guiness is definitely an acquired taste. I can only described a pint of LIQUID PUMPERNICKEL. I can usually only handle one pint. I have Scowcer friends (Folk from Liverpool) who swallow 10 pints in an evening as standard fare. I can't even imagine.

I like Fat Tire.

Blue Moon is a Belgian White that is the sort of Ale you DO add lemon to. I don't know why Americans insist on orange.