Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irene (East Coasters Please Respond)

Default Re: Hurricane Irene (East Coasters Please Respond)

Skies are grey here in NYC, but nothing ugly yet. Got a brief downpour. I'm from Florida, so I've seen this tons of times, but it's hilarious to watch some of these northerners freak out. Direct quote from an ESPN NY Radio host yesterday: "Nobody on this planet has ever lived through a storm like this one." I nearly crashed my truck laughing.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

People have flipped out pretty good in DE too.

There's been the predictable buy bottled water rush at grocery stores, and then gas stations were running out of gas yesterday
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    There's been the predictable buy bottled water rush at grocery stores, and then gas stations were running out of gas yesterday
    That to me is anything but predictable. When we get a tornado warning or snow storm alert, people in Ohio buy milk, eggs and bread. I've never understood why, but it does leave the beer isle wide open.

The eye should be closing in on Virginia Beach in the next hour. The winds had died down the last half hour, but they are now picking back up. We still have power even though most of the people around us are without it. Sad to hear an 11 yr old boy lost his life in Newport News due to a tree falling on his apartment as him and his mom laid in a bed. She survived.
    Last edited by WhippetGrappler; 08-27-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    That to me is anything but predictable. When we get a tornado warning or snow storm alert, people in Ohio buy milk, eggs and bread. I've never understood why,
    Most people are just freaking out. However, some smart folks are planning on being without power. Hence, no running water. Milk and eggs would spoil. Dry goods that will not spoil are the smart things to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    it does leave the beer isle wide open.
    alcohol sales were suspended today...LOL
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

Quote Originally Posted by WhippetGrappler View Post
    Sad to hear an 11 yr old boy lost his life in Newport News due to a tree falling on his apartment as him and his mom laid in a bed with him. She survived.
    Horrible. So sad.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

alcohol sales were suspended today...LOL
    Horrible. So sad.

Hurricane Irene has made landfall. She has been downgraded to a Cat. 1!!

Suffolk, Va: I awoke at 5am to find her here. Rain and strong winds. Wind has reached in excess of 50 mph so far. We still have power so far. A reported tornado struck the Sandbridge beach area of Virginia Beach. 3 houses have lost their roofs. 2 water rescues so far. First, a man, woman and cat were rescued from a sailboat in the Bay near Norfolk. Second, a car was spotted in the water near Yorktown. No details yet on that rescue.

East Coasters.. How are you???

Dusty, VA, Spider, JensenS and others.....
    Whippet - There have been warnings about this storm for days. Was there any mention of why a man, a woman, and a cat were out in a sailboat in this kind of weather? I am glad they rescued the cat. I am not so sure they did anything for the species by rescuing the humans.
    A second point - on buying eggs before a storm. If you wax the eggs (which seals the shell) they will keep for weeks unrefrigerated. Lacking paraffin, you can oil them (or Crisco) but that doesn't last as long.
    Good luck to all.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

They expect people to get through this without booze? That is terrible!

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.