Thread: Advice on starting a program from scratch.

Default Advice on starting a program from scratch.

We may be moving to a new area of the state. My wife grew up there and I have family and friends there as well. However there is no wresting program (none, no HS team, no Jr hi team, no club, no kids program, NOTHING). There have been HS (and I believe kids) programs in the community before but they always die off after a couple of years. Normally a dad that wrestled and wants his kid to wrestle as well starts a program, runs it and then when his kid graduates he keeps it going for a year or two but soon loses interest w/o his son there.

So my questions to you all. If you were going to try to start a program what would you do? Where would you start? What are the keys to have in place before you begin or when you begin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Default Re: Advice on starting a program from scratch.

I've got several ideas of my own but I want other people's opinions before I share my own ideas.
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Well, my first question would be: What happened to the wrestling mats that the others used? If you don't have to buy them, I would then ask where the others used to train. If it's a barn by a private owner, you are looking at an up hill battle. If it is the school, then you are looking at liabilities and permission slips, blah, blah blah.

What you might want to do is try and find a judo or jui jitsu gym and ask them if they would mind hosting a wrestling team. Obviously there will be a cost but the mats and space are already there and it's a good way for them to get wrestlers into their Art. You would probably have to volunteer to teach it or know someone who will. But if you are that passionate about it, I'll bet you will.

The real obstacle will be how you get these HS kids entered into a HS tournament if their HS doesn't support the program.......Maybe that is what you were asking in the first place and I rambled. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Well, my first question would be: What happened to the wrestling mats that the others used? If you don't have to buy them, I would then ask where the others used to train. If it's a barn by a private owner, you are looking at an up hill battle. If it is the school, then you are looking at liabilities and permission slips, blah, blah blah.
    There used to be a HS team and they trained in the school. I think that the school administration would be supportive of a program again. I would plan on volunteering until someone decided they wanted to pay me. I've volunteered before and to be honest I don't think that there's a public school in the state that could afford to pay me enough to coach a sport/team that I wouldn't be willing to coach for free. I believe that the school still has the mats, if not I know of at least one person who would be willing to donate enough money to buy some decent used mats.

What you might want to do is try and find a judo or jui jitsu gym and ask them if they would mind hosting a wrestling team. Obviously there will be a cost but the mats and space are already there and it's a good way for them to get wrestlers into their Art. You would probably have to volunteer to teach it or know someone who will. But if you are that passionate about it, I'll bet you will.
    A little more information about the area it is VERY rural, as in the population of the entire county is 1,700, the largest town has a population of 380, it's an hours drive to get to a real grocery store, and close to 90 min for a Walmart. So working with another school, group or organization is almost impossible. There isn't another HS within an hour.
    I am very passionate about getting a team going there. I have zero desire to live in an area where wrestling doesn't exist.

The real obstacle will be how you get these HS kids entered into a HS tournament if their HS doesn't support the program.......Maybe that is what you were asking in the first place and I rambled. My bad.
    My real goal is to get an official HS sanctioned team in the school. There are plenty of club wrestling opportunities to take them to especially for kids and jr hi teams.

My real question I guess is if you could start a program from scratch what would you do? How would you structure things? What is important to start doing from the beginning and what can wait? Would you start a HS team first? Kids? All at once?
    Last edited by Snackem; 08-23-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Because I can't spell store.

Snack,
    Is there a local gym any where nearby ? If not-gaining access to a building will be your primary concern-see if you can find someone with a gymnastics background and see if they might be willing to share some of the start up expenses(offer to enroll your wrestlers in a 6 month program if you must-YOU need the mats and the building)
    My first wrestling team met in an abandoned classroom-we had to clear out the desks every day but WTH ? saved time on calistenics -we started with a candy drive and made enough money to buy a mat(used form another school district),
    These are minute details tho-
    ARE you prepared for the ungodly amount of work and effort to start this ? If so-nothing will stop you.
    PM me for info about finding space and mats and any problems you encounter...
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

No there's not really a local gym anywhere. The school is VERY willing to let people use their facilities though. There are also a couple of community buildings that would work (several are old schools that have since closed). I believe that the school also has their old mats, if not I've heard from a couple of people willing to donate enough money to buy a used mat or two.

Do you think that I should try to start all three programs (HS, Jr Hi, and Kids) at the same time or do you think it would be better to start a HS program and work down? Or possibly go the other way, get a good kids/Jr Hi program and then start the HS program with those same kids as they advance to HS?

Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    Do you think that I should try to start all three programs (HS, Jr Hi, and Kids) at the same time or do you think it would be better to start a HS program and work down? Or possibly go the other way, get a good kids/Jr Hi program and then start the HS program with those same kids as they advance to HS?
    That's a good question. You could look at it either way. If you start a kids program first and work your way up, the HS team might be pretty competitive when they reach that age. Or, you could start the HS program first and then see if any of those kids want to help start a youth program. I think that decision can only be answered by you and whoever is helping you. If you like teaching HS kids more, go with that. If you like teaching kids more, go with that. I do think starting everything at once may be a bit overwhelming, though. Hold on, let me clarify, it would be overwhelming for ME.

Keep us posted on the progress, I am interested on how it all turns out.

Snack,
    You have a building and mats ? What are you waiting for ? I'd start with a 6-8th grade program and a summer program for ALL grades-FIND some people you trust to work with you and just hit the ground running-you WILL make mistakes-but you would make them with or without any advise-learn as you go.
    ps.-get the parents involved as much as you can..
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Payton I'm only waiting to hear if my wife gets the job or not. She's about 90% sure it will be hers. I'm mainly seeking advice so that when we get there I can hit the ground running. I know that we probably won't be able to get a program going this year (HS that is) but I do plan on running a USA/NUWAY club.

If anyone else has any advice or opinions then let me know. If we get there I'll probably start a blog and a thread to keep everyone updated.