Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: RIP Jacob Schlottke

Default Re: RIP Jacob Schlottke

I've had a very difficult time since I heard of my friend Jacob Schlottke's passing. As alumni of the Apple Valley Wrestling program we always shared a bond, albeit a decade or two apart of our times in the wrestling room up above the gym in Apple Valley. Don't be confused, one of us was a humble legend in that room, the other a legend in his own mind. I'll leave it all to you, our friends, to know who was who.

I knew that Jacob had been sick. At one point he talked about buying some property in Florida. We discussed different options but selfishly I was hoping that he would choose to live somewhere between Tampa and Orlando which I seem to find myself traveling between constantly. When he became ill, those plans were kind of put on hold as I heard from him a little bit less. I found him on at odd times of the evening. As a night owl myself, I was comforted to see him on at times and we'd talk about life, business, my boys, his family and his beautiful wife. Rarely did we discuss wrestling in great detail. All of you know here enough to know that I have always been a bit limited in my "research" so much of what I have in the form of opinions or knowledge come from these websites, my time in the sport and from what I can read in my limited time. Jacob never seemed to mind hearing the inane babble but he really seemed passionate about his family, his friends, his business and what it was like to be a parent.

I found out about his passing, shockingly, from the article in the Minneapolis paper. I texted Shane ( JensenS)within moments and my heart just dropped in my chest and a lump formed in my throat when I received the confirmation. Jacob and I had spoken less than 2 months prior. He never let on at that time that the treatments had not pushed the cancer back.

In hindsight I see just how absolutely selfless of a person he was in this past year. In choosing to keep his battle private, he was keeping us all talking about the things that he loved to talk about most. The sport, our friends and family, the website etc. He once told me that he had respect for me being a parent of three boys, one with special needs and a business man and a husband/brother/son. I am here to tell you Jacob that it is I that am humbled to have been your friend and that I am in awe of your bravery and courage.

I will miss you.

Your friend,

C.J. Turner
    Last edited by goferphan; 10-03-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

That was solid Brother Gofer.

Agreed. I enjoyed reading your post, it was very insightful and well written. It really summed up who Jacob was--a humble, caring, selfless person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

As I said near the beginning of this thread, I only knew Jacob through this website and only on a very superficial level. It's nice to be able to read stories and recollections from those of you, like goferphan, who were closer to him, although the more I read, the more tragic the loss becomes.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    I've had a very difficult time since I heard of my friend Jacob Schlottke's passing. As alumni of the Apple Valley Wrestling program we always shared a bond, albeit a decade or two apart of our times in the wrestling room up above the gym in Apple Valley. Don't be confused, one of us was a humble legend in that room, the other a legend in his own mind. I'll leave it all to you, our friends, to know who was who.

I knew that Jacob had been sick. At one point he talked about buying some property in Florida. We discussed different options but selfishly I was hoping that he would choose to live somewhere between Tampa and Orlando which I seem to find myself traveling between constantly. When he became ill, those plans were kind of put on hold as I heard from him a little bit less. I found him on at odd times of the evening. As a night owl myself, I was comforted to see him on at times and we'd talk about life, business, my boys, his family and his beautiful wife. Rarely did we discuss wrestling in great detail. All of you know here enough to know that I have always been a bit limited in my "research" so much of what I have in the form of opinions or knowledge come from these websites, my time in the sport and from what I can read in my limited time. Jacob never seemed to mind hearing the inane babble but he really seemed passionate about his family, his friends, his business and what it was like to be a parent.

I found out about his passing, shockingly, from the article in the Minneapolis paper. I texted Shane ( JensenS)within moments and my heart just dropped out of my chest and a lump formed in my throat when I received the confirmation. Jacob and I had spoken less than 2 months prior. He never let on at that time that the treatments had not pushed the cancer back.

In hindsight I see just how absolutely selfless of a person he was in this past year. In choosing to keep his battle private, he was keeping us all talking about the things that he loved to talk about most. The sport, our friends and family, the website etc. He once told me that he had respect for me being a parent of three boys, one with special needs and a business man and a husband/brother/son. I am here to tell you Jacob that it is I that am humbled to have been your friend and that I am in awe of your bravery and courage.

I will miss you.

Your friend,

C.J. Turner

I think everyone here echo's your statements. It was truly amazing how many people turned out to memorial service. Jacob's parents don't exactly live in a major city and yet a lot of people made very long trips to pay their respects.

It was important to him that he not be the focus or......anything. Well, he didn't mind it so much on the mat, but he earned that. Off the mat, I doubt many would know that he wrestled. I doubt he would brag that he was one of the best wrestlers in the history of Minnesota, and truly one of the best high school wrestlers of the last 15-20 years. Now...as family I'm a bit biased, but I thought he should have had that take down vs Espizito in the finals of high school nationals, and his record vs Askren speaks for itself. And obviously both are considered two of the great high schoolers of recent memory.

But off the mat, he was just such a humble guy as you've described.

My greatest regret is that I didn't make the time in the last couple years to see him as often as I'd liked.

Sometimes it takes something like this to slap you in the face and realize that life is not to be taken for granted, and to try and connect or in some cases re-connect with those people that enrich your life. Simply put, Jacob made people around him better, and even weeks after his death it doesn't seem as though it's real.
    "The true and present danger to America is conservatism!" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    As I said near the beginning of this thread, I only knew Jacob through this website and only on a very superficial level. It's nice to be able to read stories and recollections from those of you, like goferphan, who were closer to him, although the more I read, the more tragic the loss becomes.

Trust me, it wasn't superficial. Jake made a lot of connections on line that were every bit as meaningful to him as any other.
    "The true and present danger to America is conservatism!" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger84 View Post
    Trust me, it wasn't superficial. Jake made a lot of connections on line that were every bit as meaningful to him as any other.
    Thanks, Ranger. That's nice to hear.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Thinking of Jacob Schlottke on this eve of Thanksgiving and wishing them peace and comfort.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Thinking of you today brother Jacob. Miss you buddy.