Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Jacob Schlottke

Default Re: RIP Jacob Schlottke

very insightful and interesting guy very sad news RIP

I don't know whether to stand in awe or fear at the significance of a passing moment. One moment we're breathing in a common air. The next, some of stop while the rest of us take another breath.

I don't expect the death of a person I've only met over the internet to affect me much. People I've met several times and, sad as it is, it doesn't cause me much thought. Alas, here I sit, affected.

I've always found Schlottke to be an incredibly interesting guy. Here's a guy who was a bonafide stud in high school. Beat Ben Askren numerous times and took Zach Esposito to the brink of defeat on a national stage. Good enough to earn a full scholarship to Arizona State, and then he ends up not competing collegiately. We hear that about a typical wrestler and just assume that they drink too much their first year, can't keep their grades up and just kind of wash out. And maybe some of that is true about Schlottke, I really have no idea.

But that's certainly not the end of his story. He starts an internet marketing company and ends up named one of the top 25 entrepreneurs in the nation under the age of 25. The guy moves to Hawaii and various other locations, seemingly at his leisure (at least that's how it looks from the outside). He offers to host and develop TheWrestlingTalk for JensenS and ends up turning it in to one of the biggest and most trafficked wrestling sites on the web, as well as the place where so many of us enjoy discussions. Then I find out that this successful businessman and great wrestler is deathly ill at a terribly young age. Maybe that's part of the reason he's been in my head all day.

Maybe it's just that I really enjoyed talking with him on here, and that he was kind to me.

I don't know where he was spiritually, but I hope he's with the Lord and know he and his family are in my prayers.

Miss you Schlottke.
    Last edited by Gold; 08-12-2011 at 04:53 PM.

2-time Minnesota wrestling champ, 27, from Apple Valley dies from cancer - TwinCities.com

Former Apple Valley High School wrestling standout Jacob Schlottke, 27, died Thursday evening at his home in Albuquerque, N.M., after spending the last 1-1/2 years suffering from cancer.

Schlottke, a 2002 graduate, was a five-time state tournament entrant and a two-time state champion. He still holds the Minnesota state record for takedowns in a season with 446 his senior year.

He earned a wrestling scholarship to Arizona State University, but suffered a career-ending knee injury.

"It is a tremendous loss, not just for the Apple Valley High School community, but for all of wrestling in the state of Minnesota,'' Apple Valley activities director Pete Buesgens said of Schlottke's death. "He was a phenomenal talent and a great kid.''

Schlottke also gained fame as a website entrepreneur.

In high school, he had a side business, designing websites. That carried him into his post-athletic career. He was president of Pinnacle Internet Marketing in Albuquerque, and in 2006, Business Week magazine selected him one of the Top 25 Entrepreneurs Under 25.

"Jacob was a kid that was fun to be around,'' Apple Valley assistant wrestling coach Bill Demaray said. "He was easy going and lighthearted. On the side, he worked on those techy things. That was his hobby. He had high goals and aspirations and worked really hard to accomplish things.''

I didn't know Schlottke very well at all, because I'm pretty new to the forum, but since I've been following and discussing things on this site there are a few names I remember because they either seem to know WAY more than me and I'm impressed, or because they seem to be a guy like me, a junky to the core and a guy I'd really like to meet. He was both. It's sad when anyone passes, but a member of the wrestling community who has obviously done so much for the sport as a competitor and then here with this media outlet for fans to communicate and follow wrestling, it strikes even harder. Rest in Peace. You will be missed.

Wow...what a shock. I didn't even know he was sick. I only knew him through the forum, but he was always helpful, wise, and obviously an active and instrumental part in the success of this forum. RIP Jacob.
    Am I cool now?

I am absolutely heartbroken right now. Schlottke was an angel and worked his ass off on this site and in making the women feel welcome. R.I.P.

Just found out and what a blow to whole wrestling community. Jacob was the best. R.I.P Jacob.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011

Like many of us, I only knew Brother Shlottke through this site, but I always found him to be a pleasent, helpful and fairminded man, whose kindness and intellegence came across cyberspace as clearly as if he were sitting right next to you. Rest in peace Brother Jacob, and may your spirit be greeted and embraced at the gates of heaven by all of the others of our brotherhood who are congregating in the matroom in the sky.

Bummed to hear this sad news. See you on the other side Jacob.
    Tony Rotundo, Sports Photographer
    WrestlersAreWarriors.com | Facebook: Tony C. Rotundo