Thread: Bottom man sits on heels and stalls what to do?

Thumbs Up! Bottom man sits on heels and stalls what to do?

So, I wrestle 189 but there is not anyone that i wont pin in like 30 seconds (not bragging their just new) But the 171 used to be a 89 the year prior who I beat by 9 points the first year. I wrestled him tonight easily winning 6-1 but I struggled on top, ALL HE DID was sit all his weight on his heels and base out. I couldnt break him down all his weight was on his heels. He just sat there and waited for some lucky headlock to come out. He would stall and sit there until he saw my head pop out for a second then headlock me. I got away with it twice then he actually someone pulled it off, he was getting nearfall then i started bleeding which ended the match. What do I do if he sits all his weight on his heels and just bases over and over? I need to break him down so I can work my turns but he just stalls.

Default Re: Bottom man sits on heels and stalls what to do?

As a big guy, I'd use a spiral ride, with the claw to create space. If that isn't working, place your same side knee next to his, chop his arm and pull him with a tight waist over your knee. You just have to make sure to get your hips out from under his and square them to the mat as soon as you feel him crossing your knee. Otherwise, you risk having him high leg over you and get the reversal with possible back points. The third option on the mat, and not one I'd recomend to 90% of big men who aren't already decent leg riders, is to learn to crab ride and pull him back into the crab. One other breakdown I've used, but one I wouldn't recommend as a first option is as follows: If you're on his left side, grab is right foot or ankle (or at least block it) with your right hand, at the same time reach under his stomach and block his right knee with your left hand. You'll end up with your left shoulder in his ribs and you'll be perpendicular to the way he's facing. Now just drive your legs to drive him off of his base and onto his right hip.

Of course another option is to just kick him out and take him down and break him down off of the takedown. That's usually what I did against guys like that. Eventually, you'll be able to transition to something to turn him with right off of a takedown. That's especially true in practice, when there's no ref to call stalling. Neither of you is getting any better, by sitting there, so you might as well work on your takedowns. Practice is about getting better, not about winning, so put yourself in positions you wouldn't during a match, or try stuff you haven't perfected.

I'd advise.

Quote Originally Posted by therick View Post
    place your same side knee next to his, chop his arm and pull him with a tight waist over your knee. You just have to make sure to get your hips out from under his and square them to the mat as soon as you feel him crossing your knee.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by therick View Post
    One other breakdown I've used, but one I wouldn't recommend as a first option is as follows: If you're on his left side, grab is right foot or ankle (or at least block it) with your right hand, at the same time reach under his stomach and block his right knee with your left hand. You'll end up with your left shoulder in his ribs and you'll be perpendicular to the way he's facing. Now just drive your legs to drive him off of his base and onto his right hip.
    Or this.

One other breakdown I've used, but one I wouldn't recommend as a first option is as follows: If you're on his left side, grab is right foot or ankle (or at least block it) with your right hand, at the same time reach under his stomach and block his right knee with your left hand. You'll end up with your left shoulder in his ribs and you'll be perpendicular to the way he's facing. Now just drive your legs to drive him off of his base and onto his right hip.
    We have found this a very effective breakdown for guys that just "iron frog".

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    What is iron frog?
    "Every artist was first an amateur."
    "You miss 100% of shots you don't take."

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    Iron frog...haha. Nice!

Squat back on your heels, lock up your arms. You look like one of those iron frogs they sell as a garden decoration.
    By the way, if you use the far ankle, far knee to break a guy down, reach for the half as he starts to go down. About 95% of the time it will be there - but you have to anticipate and reach for it before he has time to recover.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling_Prodigy View Post
    What is iron frog?
    What the kid is describing in the first post. What else would it be?