Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't everyone learn to ride legs?

Default Re: Why doesn't everyone learn to ride legs?

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    I could never leg in. It seemed like my legs were too thick, or maybe my joints just too stiff, but I couldn't get myself bent around like that. However, I got real good at catching leg riders. I would often bait them by raising my hip (with my elbow already in tight) to get them to try. There was a LOT of pleasure in bringing that leg up and stuffing it into their chest.
    Anyone who puts a leg in over a tucked in arm deserves what he gets.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

I usually get mine in by a spiral to crab ride then back over type deal, I've been using that since about 7th grade though so I'm really used to it and know the dangers of exposing my back like that, so I wouldn't really try it in matches right away if you havn't gotten used to it.

when i'm on the left i spiral them onto their hip then slip it in, when i'm on the right i tight waste far ankle to break them down and when they build their base i slip it in, and if nothing else is working i just put my leg next to theirs, and push their leg over mine with my other leg, this works the best if i'm distracting them with like a power half or something

As you keep developing your leg rides you will find that any and all possitions they will slip in ( at least they did for me). I teach my kids two basic ways of putting them in and the first is the spiral ride. As they develope I teach the tilt and the bootom leg goes in as you let your man base-up.

If you have someone who is laying flat take your inside leg and lift his near leg up and figure four to your outside leg. This creates a lot of hip pressure and you can develope turns from there.

I am new to this sport, as a dad and helper at practice and home I was wondering how old or how experienced kids need to be to begin learning how to use legs. It seems like with the older kids the ability to use legs is a great advantage. If anyone has any advice on how old or how to teach legs please let me know.....

Quote Originally Posted by teamdoc View Post
    I am new to this sport, as a dad and helper at practice and home I was wondering how old or how experienced kids need to be to begin learning how to use legs. It seems like with the older kids the ability to use legs is a great advantage. If anyone has any advice on how old or how to teach legs please let me know.....
    They need to be walking pretty good before you start teaching takedowns. Other than that, I think they can start rolling around whenever you want to start them.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

My oldest atarted when he was in second grade. Now he is in them all the time and is a 6th grader. Still needs to learn to ride the hip more, but is developing some great funk with them.

Remember, when they first start using legs they will lose some matches they shouldn't because they get caught, but it will be a great advantage as they get older.

one downside to legs is you can get reversed straight to your back if you don't know what you're doing. i didn't learn legs till my sophomore year, but i'm sure i could've handled them as a freshman. My personal opinion is you can teach them to use them at any age, but encourage them not to use them in a real match until they have the hang of them.

Thank you all for your imput. My son is in second grade and is interested. I will try and find some info or somewhere that teaches legs and get him started in practice and open mats. If there are any words of wisdom or good resources please let me know.