Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pennington vs. Favre

Default Re: Pennington vs. Favre

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    The Jets were 4-12 last year. If they made the playoffs, (they didn't, I'm being sarcastic) it would be an incredible feat.
    I agree they made some great additions on defense which really improved the team. I know there are some people who give Favre credit for the great play of Jenkins, Law, Pace and the other defensive players but I prefer to actually give credit to the defense.

Unfortunately the improved defense could not overcome the struggles of Favre at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    I agree they made some great additions on defense which really improved the team. I know there are some people who give Favre credit for the great play of Jenkins, Law, Pace and the other defensive players but I prefer to actually give credit to the defense.

Unfortunately the improved defense could not overcome the struggles of Favre at the end of the season.
    That would insinuate that the Jets defense was the reason they were winning. The Jets defense and offense were both ranked 16th in the league this year. So the defense hasn't exactly been stifling.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

That would insinuate that the Jets defense was the reason they were winning. The Jets defense and offense were both ranked 16th in the league this year. So the defense hasn't exactly been stifling.
    It was not stifling but improved from a terrible 26th to a decent 16th which obviously played a big part in their improved record. I agree if the defense was stifling, perhaps like the eagles defense, they would have been able to overcome Favres defincies.

Jets offense was also 26th last year, improved to a decent 16th. Thank god for the upgrade at QB, which took an untalented bunch of luses and managed to raise them up a level or two. But, great as Favre is, he isn't God.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

Jets offense was also 26th last year, improved to a decent 16th. Thank god for the upgrade at QB, which took an untalented bunch of luses and managed to raise them up a level or two. But, great as Favre is, he isn't God.
    Unfortunately the savior of the Dolphins organization was hurt last year and missed half the season forcing the Jets to go at it with a lousy back up. Once they added able body, albeit mistake prone qb they were able to improve. The addition of one of the best lineman in the league in Alan Faneca also helped.

In 2007, in 9 games, Pennington had 10 TD's and 9 INT's. He needed a change of scenery. This year would have been more of the same for Pennington in NY. He benefitted, and so did the Jets.

In 2007, in 9 games, Pennington had 10 TD's and 9 INT's. He needed a change of scenery. This year would have been more of the same for Pennington in NY. He benefitted, and so did the Jets.
    Whoa those are Favre like numbers there makes sense that Pennington was badly hurt.

Ask Mangino how that change of scenery for the Jets worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    Whoa those are Favre like numbers there makes sense that Pennington was badly hurt.

Ask Mangino how that change of scenery for the Jets worked out.
    He'd probably tell me that the team improved from 4-12 to 9-7, which some would call a dramatic improvement. I do find the argument that Favre deserves all of the blame but none of the credit HILARIOUS, though. It would also be wise to point out that Mr. Mangini's terrible playcalling may have hindered his own offense. But I digress. Bottom line, things worked out this way, but there is no evidence to suggest it would have worked out if Pennington stayed with the jets. He landed in a perfect situation for him.

BTW, in the 4 years before 2007:

2006: 17 TD's, 16 INT's
    2005: 2 TD's, 3 INT's (only 3 games)
    2004: 16 TD's, 9 INT's
    2003: 13 TD's, 12 INT's
    2002: 22 TD's, 16 INT's

2002 was the last year Pennington was a dynamic performer.

Brett Favre's stats for your perusal:

2007: 28 TD's, 15 INT's
    2006: 18 TD's, 18 INT's
    2005: 20 TD's, 29 INT's (His worst performance in his career ever)
    2004: 30 TD's, 17 INT's
    2003: 32 TD's, 20 INT's
    2002: 27 TD's, 16 INT's

Pennington has only ever thrown 20 TD's once in his career. Favre was a much more dynamic performer, and did I mention he played every game, at a much older age, while has played only two entire 16 game seasons in his career. I'll take my chance with Brett favre, not knowing the future results, every time. Pennington is a nice QB that can make you a midlevel team, but he can't take a team and win the game for you. Brett Favre can. Would I have lost this year on my bet? Yes, but I play to win a Super Bowl, not to make the playoffs. Pennington can get you to the playoffs, but Brett favre can win you a Super Bowl.

Brett Favre's stats for your perusal:

2007: 28 TD's, 15 INT's
    2006: 18 TD's, 18 INT's
    2005: 20 TD's, 29 INT's (His worst performance in his career ever)
    2004: 30 TD's, 17 INT's
    2003: 32 TD's, 20 INT's
    2002: 27 TD's, 16 INT's
    Hmm thanks for the stats Zapp, I never realized Favre threw so many interceptions. 29 in one year is insane I cant remember the analysts ever speaking of that though, must of gotten caught up in the talk of his love for the game and how he is always trying to make plays.

Anyway Favre has won one super bowl lets not act like he is Joe Montana cotinually getting the job done. Trent Dilfer won a super bowl too.

Favre is a true warrior the toughest qb to ever play the game and he had a great career but I have seen him cost his team as many games in the playoffs as he won.