Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best wrestler from the state of Virginia?

Default Re: Best wrestler from the state of Virginia?

Billy Martin should fit in there someplace as well. From the famous Granby wrestling family. 2x AA and Runner up to Pat Milkovich.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Mayor of Bringsburg homerdindon's Avatar

I guess I didn't really watch him directly before and after his injury, they didn't have much on TV back then and living in Arizona, the only times I'd see him was at NCAAs. I was looking up some stuff on him, look at his weight rankings his senior year. Not a bad group of guys, lol

1. Patrick Bond (Great Bridge, VA)
    2. Jake Varner (Bakersfield, CA)
    3. Mike Pucillo (Walsh Jesuit, OH)
    4. Max Askren (Arrowhead, WI)
    5. Hudson Taylor (Blair Academy, NJ)
    "Now class, I'd like for you to transition from downward dog....straight to FULL BRING!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by homerdindon View Post
    I guess I didn't really watch him directly before and after his injury, they didn't have much on TV back then and living in Arizona, the only times I'd see him was at NCAAs. I was looking up some stuff on him, look at his weight rankings his senior year. Not a bad group of guys, lol

1. Patrick Bond (Great Bridge, VA)
    2. Jake Varner (Bakersfield, CA)
    3. Mike Pucillo (Walsh Jesuit, OH)
    4. Max Askren (Arrowhead, WI)
    5. Hudson Taylor (Blair Academy, NJ)
    I digress.

Recruiting rankings obviously arent everything but theres 12 aa finishes and 4 National titles in that BOTTOM 4.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdindon View Post
    Not sure how Stith or Byron Tucker haven't been mentioned yet. And I'm a Bond fan and have known him and his family for a long time, but I think saying that he would have been an NCAA champ if he didn't get injured is a bit optimistic to say the least. Since when it Mark Branch from Virginia? Mike Akers and Victor Jackson are better than some of the people who have been mentioned as well.
    I am from the Central Region area, and i was just pointing out some of the tough guys from there (I know that list has beach guys as well). I meant Charlie Branch (Mark was a typo). There has been great wrestlers that came out of Virginia and for what reason they do not excel on the next level is beyond me, but I will give my opinion. I graduated in 2005 and I lost in state finals to Adam Pittman from Great Bridge, that year it was a dual of 10 GB wrestlers vs. the rest of the state. I believe that some of the GB wrestlers are just burnt out by the next level, they had already been through 4 if not more years of multiply work outs a day, year round (GB was ran like a college program in my eyes). In regards to the others, VA is not tough as a whole and when a wrestler can win a state title by just working out for a few months and then they get to college and all of a sudden you have to work out year round just to stay in the room VA wrestlers just do not want to put in hard work. Things are starting to change now that GB is not around, the state has more parity. The major swing in recent national success is the fact that there are more clubs. Being from the Central Region I did not have a club to go to during middle school or high school and my parents could not afford to drive me to NOVA or the Beach for practice, all I was able to do was go to a few open mats and roll around with the one or two others that showed up, and all we did was continue to work on our current bad habits.