Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Campolattano will (officially) wrestle for Ohio State

Redshirt

Default Re: Andrew Campolattano will (officially) wrestle for Ohio State

Camp will be a monster at tOSU.

"and they aren't done yet" Jimmy Lawson????

You really have to wonder how Tom Ryan is going to handle all of these guys redshirts.

So a guy who decided hed rather wrestle in college than play football has committment issues?
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Too early to say it's an issue, but a warning sign. Kinda like walking in on your 5-year-old son playing with Barbies with his older sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Fourth, he looks to me to be a tweener. Right now he's around 205ish according to Jersey folk, but he's going to need significantly more muscle mass than what I've seen to compete at 197, which could push him out of the 197 range and into the small heavyweight range, which is a tough proposition.
    A high schooler needs significantly more muscle mass to compete with the best college 197 pounders? What a shock!! I think that's an exaggeration anyway, Camp is far from lacking in the strength department for someone who could have made the cut to 189 this season. Sure, he weighed 205, but he didn't cut down there, that was without worrying about his weight at all. It's kind of like Kurt Backes competing at 215 his senior year at Blair which was for lineup purposes, but I'm sure he was also glad not to worry about weight at all for a season - he ended up at 184 for the next few years. Your other concerns make some sense to me, but this one does not. Why is it necessarily a tough proposition for him to wrestle as a small heavyweight anyway? Kerry McCoy was at 189 his senior year and developed into a heavyweight. Rosholt, Zabriskie, etc were 215's their senior year of HS and in Zabriskie's case he weighed about 225 tops when he won the NCAA title. Camp most definitely projects as a 197 pounder, but there have been so many successful small heavyweights recently that your 'tweener argument doesn't make sense for someone who clearly can afford to fill out should they want him to.

Quote Originally Posted by Laych07 View Post
    You really have to wonder how Tom Ryan is going to handle all of these guys redshirts.
    Tom Ryan has already shown he knows how to handle and develop big time recruits.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    So a guy who decided hed rather wrestle in college than play football has committment issues?
    No, the issue is that he didn't choose wrestling initially. Makes it seem like maybe it was a second choice, since he was unlikely to start for Rutgers or any D-1 program. He was like the 190th ranked linebacker in the country or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by bwh27 View Post
    A high schooler needs significantly more muscle mass to compete with the best college 197 pounders? What a shock!! I think that's an exaggeration anyway, Camp is far from lacking in the strength department for someone who could have made the cut to 189 this season. Sure, he weighed 205, but he didn't cut down there, that was without worrying about his weight at all. It's kind of like Kurt Backes competing at 215 his senior year at Blair which was for lineup purposes, but I'm sure he was also glad not to worry about weight at all for a season - he ended up at 184 for the next few years. Your other concerns make some sense to me, but this one does not. Why is it necessarily a tough proposition for him to wrestle as a small heavyweight anyway? Kerry McCoy was at 189 his senior year and developed into a heavyweight. Rosholt, Zabriskie, etc were 215's their senior year of HS and in Zabriskie's case he weighed about 225 tops when he won the NCAA title. Camp most definitely projects as a 197 pounder, but there have been so many successful small heavyweights recently that your 'tweener argument doesn't make sense for someone who clearly can afford to fill out should they want him to.
    Well, my main concern is that the 215 class tends to not bring the college success of other weights, mostly in my opinion because there is no real correlating college weight.

2009-2010 Top Ten 215
    1. Spencer Myers (Selinsgrove, PA)
    2. Trevor Rupp (Pocatello, ID)
    3. Kyle Cowan (Cascia Hall, OK)
    4. Scott Schiller (West Fargo, ND)
    5. Alex Polizzi (Beloit Memorial, WI)
    6. Nick McDiarmid (Hartland, MI)
    7. Matt Dwyer (Hononegah, IL)
    8. Cameron Croy (Brentwood, TN)
    9. Kyle Colling (Pioneer, NY)
    10. Diego Bravo (Sunnyside, AZ)

2008-2009 Top 10 215
    1. Tony Nelson (Cambridge-Isanti, MN)
    2. Glen Carson (Manahawkin Southern, NJ)
    3. Orlando Scales (Cincinnati Elder, OH)
    4. Nick Pica (Concord, CA)
    5. Joey McMullan (Wyoming Seminary, PA)
    6. Stryker Lane (Norwood, CO)
    7. Brandon Palik (Saucon Valley, PA)
    8. Znick Ferrell (Sand Springs, OK)
    9. Ernest James (Longwood, NY)
    10. Jon Weber (Christiansburg, VA)

2007-2008 Top Ten 215
    1. Cody Gardner (Christiansburg, VA)
    2. Deron Winn (Liberty, MO)
    3. Jared Platt (Blair Academy, NJ)
    4. Kellen Harris (Sharon, PA)
    5. Skip Crooks (Green River, WY)
    6. Ryan Flores (Buchanan, CA)
    7. Patrick Mahan (Owatonna, MN)
    8. Justin Wieller (Northampton, PA)
    9. Christian Brantley (Chicago Mt. Carmel, IL)
    10. Joe Fagiano (St. Patrick, IL)

2006-2007 Top Ten 215
    1. Jack Corcoran (St. Joseph, NJ)
    2. Scott Bayer (Howells, NE)
    3. D.J. Russo (Lenape Valley, NJ)
    4. Joe Nord (Waconia/Meyer Lutheran, MN)
    5. Carl Hines (Bristow, OK)
    6. Jake Smith (Bennington, NE)
    7. Cody Clark (Crater, OR)
    8. Emeka Abanifi (Kell, GA)
    9. Cameron Browne (Plattsmouth, NE)
    10. Joey Lindamood (Parkersburg, WV)

2005-2006 Top Ten 215
    1. Jared Rosholt (Ponca City, OK)
    2. DeShawn Barrett (Patterson, MD)
    3. Brent Jones (Robinson, VA)
    4. Jason Marshall (St. Paris Graham, OH)
    5. Jacob Marrs (Clay Center, KS)
    6. Colton Nichols (Poway, CA)
    7. Nate Sipes (Curwensville, PA)
    8. Dan Goetter (Pennridge, PA)
    9. Steve Larson (Apple Valley, MN)
    10. David Zabriskie (High Point, NJ)

Going off memory, that's 4 AA's in 50 wrestlers. As a comparison, 189 produced 13 different AA's. And that's just the individual wrestlers. If I counted total number of AA finishes, it would be 8 for 215, and it would be 27 total AA finishes for 189. Three NCAA championships for 189, 1 for 215.
    Last edited by Zapp Brannigan; 04-25-2011 at 10:23 PM.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Not sure the relevancy of comparing 215 and 189 when Campolattano is still capable of making the cut down to 189. Note my Kurt Backes example of someone who competed at 215 in high school but ended up wrestling at 184 his first three years (approximately) before going up to 197. No one is going to argue that 215 isn't a relatively weak weight class, but why does that matter in the particular case of Andrew Campollatano's potential as a college wrestler? He's proven himself plenty down at 189 and you're not going to find a single college coach who doesn't recognize his tremendous skills. You bring up a legitimate point that he may not have the commitment to really excel in college, of course that's possible for almost any top recruit, but to question his physical abilities just doesn't make sense to me.

Any bets on how many injuries the new Buckeye class sustains over the next 4 years?

FYI, Campolattano wrestled at 189 his freshman, sophomore, and junior years of high school. Not exactly likely to suddenly have a growth spurt that is going to turn him into Cole Konrad.