Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for the next Cael

Default Looking for the next Cael

With the defeat of David Taylor at the NCAAs and Destin McCauley's defeat at the Dapper Dan, I got to thinking: is there another wrestler on the horizon who can possibly dominate in college like Cael Sanderson did? I wanted to think that Logan Stieber could be that guy, but he's had a tough freshman year what with the knee and all. And, besides, even though Matt McDonough got taken by Anthony Robles, I still find Stieber beating McDonough a little hard to believe. If Taylor goes up to 165 pounds next year, then his sophomore year won't be a picnic for him. So who, then? Kyle Dake? Good but not Cael good. How about Morgan McIntosh? Could he be killer-diller? Who else? Any ideas who I should expend my hero-worship credits on?

Default Re: Looking for the next Cael

Morgon McIntosh with a whole red shirt year training with Cael Sanderson and Jake Varner. It Could Happen.

Think about it Cael Sanderson has an amazing Offense where he could work on his Defense
    Then Jake Varner with Incredible Defense to work on his offense

I'm just sayin

Looking for the next Cael is like looking for the next Ruth, Jordan, or Gable. There may never be another Cael that goes undefeated and wins 4 titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Well, Stieber, McIntosh and McCauley are much better suited for freestyle than folkstyle whereas Dake, McDonough and Taylor are the opposite. Cael was such a complete wrestler that despite being better suited for folkstyle, he still had incredible success in freestyle.

It's unlikely that we'll get another Cael for many years. Chance Marsteller and Mark Hall look like they could be the next Cary Kolat though...

If Jordan Oliver keeps improving like he has been then he could be the next John Smith who had two of the most dominant final years at NCAAs that we've seen. It would not shock me if he made a world team while still in college too, though surpassing the likes of Kudukhov any time soon is hard to fathom.

I don't think anyone outside of the McCauley or McIntosh family is under the impression these kids were "going to be the next Cael."
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    I don't think anyone outside of the McCauley or McIntosh family is under the impression these kids were "going to be the next Cael."
    My immediate thought about this topic as well.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Not seeing anyone. Appreciate these kids for what they're able to do and don't judge them against Cael. Just not fair.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Not seeing anyone. Appreciate these kids for what they're able to do and don't judge them against Cael. Just not fair.

It reminds me that human nature, being what it is (!), lends itself to often mention Gable, & never mention Baumgartner... hmmm?

I liked the mention of Mark Hall. He sounds promising - I mean isn't he a seventh grader? But, okay. There won't be another Cael in the near future, or Dan Gable or Baumgartner...so who WILL be the next big star of college wrestling? Jordon Oliver was really impressive this year. Andrew Alton has a ton of potential. David Taylor has a ton of potential. I'm still waiting to see if anything becomes of Ryak Finch (isn't he at Iowa State?).