Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best Never to win NCAA's 2000-2011 (Full List Posted)

Default Re: Best Never to win NCAA's 2000-2011 (Full List Posted)

If you look at 149 this year and think it was strong, more power to you. Maybe it will be more of the same this year but I think most people on here would agree that 149 was one of the weaker weights. I don't think Frank wins the title next year even if Dake moves up.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Why would russell move up? Hes not that big and basically said weights not an issue
    I don't know if I can believe that. Of Thorn, Marion, Alton - none looked to be bigger, in fact all of them appeared to be at a weight disadvantage. Sure - maybe he's got the "best gyro" in the business, etc. - but Russell also looked like a guy that was expert at weight cutting and was doing a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rstrong View Post
    I don't know if I can believe that. Of Thorn, Marion, Alton - none looked to be bigger, in fact all of them appeared to be at a weight disadvantage. Sure - maybe he's got the "best gyro" in the business, etc. - but Russell also looked like a guy that was expert at weight cutting and was doing a lot of it.
    Marion and Thorn looked to be at a weight disadvantage against Russell?! I imagine you're in a very small minority with that perspective. He's not a big 141 pounder, he seems pretty perfect for the weight just like he did three years ago (seemingly has the exact same build as then). With the exception of Burroughs, I wouldn't be surprised if Russell had the easiest cut of all the NCAA champs - which is to say not easy but not something that will make him want to bump up next season.

Quote Originally Posted by rstrong View Post
    Marion and Thorn were never really very big 141's either, that being said I never really noticed a size advantage either way in their matches with Russell.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

[QUOTE=Herkey#1;398465The very fact that Mason was having a great season, after the season he had at Minnesota, should indicate a depleted weight class. [/QUOTE]

Or he is more comfortable at Rutgers and it showed in his wrestling...

Maybe it's a combination of the two.

I didnt see him wrestle at all this year, but I did two years ago and he looked a lot like Iowa's 157lber two years ago.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I didnt see him wrestle at all this year
    It probably would have been for the best if you ended your post after writing this.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    It probably would have been for the best if you ended your post after writing this.
    If I would've ended it there, I wouldnt have gotten my roundabout jab in on Minnesota or a former wrestler of theirs.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Mayor of Bringsburg homerdindon's Avatar

I'd move Tyrone above Percival. I don't think you can put too much weight into the better record thing, considering that Percival wrestled at Ohio and therefore doesn't exactly wrestle the biggest meatgrinder of a schedule pre-NCAAs. Great list though. On a side note, of the top 5, I had the pleasure of wrestling 3 of them (Trenge when I was younger, Snyder, and Lewis twice in college). Fun times lol
    "Now class, I'd like for you to transition from downward dog....straight to FULL BRING!!!"