Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Hodge Trophy: How its earned and who should win

Default Re: Hodge

I think a tech should be held in similar regard to pins in this competition. If it's about domination getting up by 15 is pretty darn dominant.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

I agree, tech's are just as dominant if not more dominant that pins to me. I think Burroughs will end up getting the Hodge this year. I think Taylor is too young and probably loses to Fittery or Hall or Jenkins, and I think Robles loses to McD and as said above Caldwell doesn't have the matches this year to get it.

World Champ

Assuming no losses is a big assumption at Nationals, where anything can and will happen.
    Assuming no losses, my first guess is Robles. He has a very compelling a story, and 22 techs is amazing.
    After that Fittery, Oliver, Taylor, and Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyes2 View Post
    I agree, tech's are just as dominant if not more dominant that pins to me.
    Techs are nice, but you can run a tech up on a guy primarily by being a whole lot better from neutral. Unless it's a flash stick, a pin usually signifies pwnage.

Ive seen plenty of falls where i thought the guy who was stuck cmould conceivably beat the opponent. Yet to see a tech that left me with a similar impression. Kellen russell pinned kennedy this year. Next time they met it was an OT match.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

The namesake of this award wasn't known for tech falling people, he was known for pins.

Like I said though the committee has shown willingness in the past to disregard their criteria, and with no one really racking up the pins this year unlike the past few anything really is possible.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Ive seen plenty of falls where i thought the guy who was stuck cmould conceivably beat the opponent. Yet to see a tech that left me with a similar impression. Kellen russell pinned kennedy this year. Next time they met it was an OT match.
    That's true that pins like this occur but it's not the case for a single one of Fittery, Oliver, Taylor or Burrough's pins, so I'm not sure of the relevancy especially when Russell won't be in consideration for the Hodge. I agree with you that tech-falls can frequently be an even better indication of dominance and I wish that they were emphasized more in the Hodge criteria, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
    Having said that, there are no obvious candidates this year following the Hodge criteria. I don't think that they've quite "disregarded" their criteria in the past, but in a year like this it definitely could go to a wrestler without a lot of pins. That's why Metcalf won the Hodge despite dropping a match because there were no other particularly strong candidates and he was significantly more dominant than anyone else in the toughest weight class.

Quote Originally Posted by bwh27 View Post
    Cael Sanderson did not win the Hodge as a freshman, maybe you're thinking of the OW at NCAAs which he did win all four years. However, senior and returning NCAA champ Stephen Neal was an obvious choice that year with 31 pins to Cael's 10 pins. Should Taylor win 157 in dominating fashion, there's no one even close to as obvious a choice this year especially considering the pins leader is at the same weight and Caldwell won't be in consideration wrestling so few matches. They don't have the pins, but I still think it will be tough not to give the award to Burroughs or Robles should they win since both are seniors who have completely dominated almost every match.
    Thanks for the clarification--I had Cael's OW record confused with the Hodge award. As just about everything else this year--it's wide open. I can't recall a year that had so much parity in individual and team races. You even have 2 weights with 2 former national champions in them. Usually you know who the favorite 1 or 2 candidates are for the Hodge award, before the NCAA's--but not this year.

darrion will get the Hodge this year. Pin % the best, Heart the best, Dominance the best, past crudentials the best.