Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will another wrestler EVER have been more vilified than...

Default Re: Will another wrestler EVER have been more vilified than...

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    This isn't how seeding wrestling tournaments works, and it never has been...

Nor is this...

I just went to the NCAA wrestling site and watched the video about seeding. They base it off:

1.) Head to head
    2.) Qualifying event placement
    3.) Quality wins
    4.) Result against common opponents
    5.) Winning percentage
    6.) RPI --not sure what this consists of
    7.) Coaches rankings
    8.) Number of matches contested at the weight class

That being said, if you do wrestle a top rated guy, it does have some affect on seeding based on #3. Which imo should be given more/less significance based on the level of competition at the weight class. some weight classes you have a few that are at a higher level. This year at 125 the top three are MC D, Robles and Precin, and they distance themselves quite a bit from the rest of the competition. I hope someone at that weight class does prove me wrong, and we do see some good matches that challenge these three guys before they meet each other. Mc D has lost to who in his collegiate carrier Angel Escobedo (national champ 2008) and Brandon Precin (3rd 2009) and was the national champ last year at this weight class. They guy who finished 7th in the same bracket got a higher seed? Based on only the criteria listed by the NCAA seeding committee, yes Robles gets the 1 seed and Mc D gets the two or three seed. I can't believe past years results in the NCAA's doesn't factor into seeding. In the end I really don't care because I believe Mc D will beat anyone who steps out before him. Just would have liked to see Robles have to go though Precin before getting to Mc D.

I don't see a villain factor at all. Robles is an inspiration and deserves a ton of respect. That being said, I'm not rooting for him (and I'm not a hawkeye fan.) I want to see some good wrestling, and may the better wrestler that day win -- because whoever does will have earned it. Hate really shouldn't be part of it this matchup. (The fans on the other hand...)

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    When McD(presumably) faces Robles in the finals.

Think of all the factors in play:
    No team is more hated than Iowa.
    Iowa will probably need a McD win to help Iowa win the title.
    Everyone LOVES Robles(two straight years of standing ovations) and will want him to win all the more.

How hostile/loud will the crowd be against Iowa if McD wins, and conversely how nuts will people be if Robles wins?
    I seriously don't see where you are getting this from. Sure a lot of people want Robles to win, and sure a lot of people hate Iowa fans, but I honestly can't think of any reason anyone would actively vilify McD. He doesn't have any kind of reputation that I know of being a bad guy. A lot of people will be rooting for Robles to win. But, with the possible exception of people with team title asperations on the line (which isn't personal to McD), I can't think of any reason why people would be rooting for McD to lose.

A lot of people find Robles inspiring and want him to win, but that doesn't mean they have anything at all against McD.

After all this, it would be funny if neither McD nor Robles make the finals.

Nicholson/Precin will really get da fans hyyyyped.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

It would be something but with all due respect to Mr. Nicholson I don't think he will beat Robles, Precin beating McD is much more likely but I'm not going to be the Hawk fan that picks it!

Can't imagine both McD and Robles not making the finals, but last year year Escobedo v. TNick lokoed like even more of a guarentee.

Quote Originally Posted by iowahawkfan View Post
    Found this on another wrestling site, couldn't of said it better myself: I make no argument that Robles is great. He's outstanding and has been dominant, but just like in college football, who you wrestle has to matter. At least make him face one of the best guys before the finals because he hasn't had to face any of them throughout the season. It's the right thing to do in my opinion and what's fair to the competitors. To me, this is a ploy by the NCAA to get Robles in the finals and generate PR for the sport.
    The whole key to earning the top seed is an easier road to the finals in theory. Thats why there is a regular season. I don't think you could have asked Robles to do any more than wrestle who his schedule put in front of him and dominate them. Had Iowa showed up at some of the more prestigious events over the course of the year, this meeting could have happened that way as well.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    The whole key to earning the top seed is an easier road to the finals in theory. Thats why there is a regular season. I don't think you could have asked Robles to do any more than wrestle who his schedule put in front of him and dominate them. Had Iowa showed up at some of the more prestigious events over the course of the year, this meeting could have happened that way as well.
    The whole key of seeding is not to rank the wrestlers, or predict their NCAA placement but to earn them a spot in the bracket based on regular season performance. That's it. That's why the (unseeded) #13 wrestler could end up wrestling the #1 seed in the first round.

Of course in this situation, you'd have to 'guess' that McDonough wins again because he won last year. But Robles won the #1 spot because he had the best regular season. Hard to argue with that one.