Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will another wrestler EVER have been more vilified than...

Default Re: Will another wrestler EVER have been more vilified than...

You don't think Mcd winning a title will have much bearing on them winning?

I dont know if you've seen the seeds/projections but it's going to be real close in spite of what you think.(hope)
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

I'm picturing a fairly similar scene to when Zack Esposito wrestled Phillip Simpson from Army. When pretty much the whole arena was cheering for Simpson

Steve Mocco after transferring to Oklahoma State.
    Brent Metcalf after transferring to Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    Brent Metcalf after transferring to Iowa.
    People didn't really turn on Metcalf until his 09 final against Caldwell, before that everyone LOVED him...

Espo against Simpson is a pretty good example of what the atmosphere would likely be like should we get a Robles v. McDonough final.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by iowahawkfan View Post
    they definitely set the stage for it to happen. Still cant believe the returning national champ got a 2 seed. even though Robels is undefeated. Mc D's only loss comes to the #3 guy in the nation, that he has beaten twice since.
    I'm not sure I understand this logic. There are many examples of defending national champs not getting the top seed the next year. Didn't Jaggers from Ohio St, the year after winning nationals, get a #6 seed? Of course, he did win it again!

I must say not only are Iowas fans hated, but Iowas program is hated for their dominance. It's the same reason I hated the Patriots for so long they dominated the NFL so if you aren't one of their fans it's easy to hate them. Although I don't think people will boo or hate McD, I do think the majority of the arena will be cheering for Robles (Penn State, Cornell, Okie State, Iowa State, ASU). I also think it's junk that McD didn't get the #1 seed. Unless he's lost 2, 3, 4 or more matches to DIFFERENT, UNRANKED or LOW RANKED (like Dake) opponents then he to me is still the champ and thus is #1. I really don't understand how they gave Robles #1 as undefeated, but Nicholos the #4, then Russell got the #1 then Taylor got the #3, but then again I really don't have an educated guess as to how they seed it due to my lack of knowledge of the RPI, so all I can say is it doesn't make sense to me, until someone who knows explains it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this logic. There are many examples of defending national champs not getting the top seed the next year. Didn't Jaggers from Ohio St, the year after winning nationals, get a #6 seed? Of course, he did win it again!
    Jaggers is a great example of a guy who didn't have a great year YET BECAUSE of his National championship got a 3 seed. Not a 6.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Espo v Simpson is the best example. Espo was a likeable guy as is McD. He said afterwards that he felt like he was wrestling against the whole country.
    I dont' know why some of you are so obsessed wiht the seeds. They are in large part subjective, and if your guy is really the best guy, he gets to the finals no matter where he is seeded. A seed is no guarentee of placement.
    I saw several squawkeyes wearing teeshirts last week say: "It's ok, we hate all of you too".

I think that this use of the word 'hate' as well as the way it is being used in this and other threads is completely misplaced.
    Anyone that 'hates' someone because of sports has a screw loose.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    Yeah, Hendricks is upset you'd even THINK that. Sanders stomping Robles and Thorns antics probably rank right up there too.
    Maybe I'm just forgetting, but what Thorn antics are you referring to?