Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2229303132

Thread: 2011 Big Ten Wrestling Tournament - Championships Brackets, Results, Pre-Seed Posted

Default Re: 2011 Big Ten Wrestling Tournament - Championships Brackets, Results, Pre-Seed Posted

Now that was funny Vais!

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Congrats to the lions. In spite of mental weakness, terrible coaching, and alcoholism you were able to win the big 10s.

Default Re: 2011 Big Ten Wrestling Tournament - Championships Brackets, Results, Pre-Seed Posted

I need to disagree with this...Iowa started the year with a returning national champion, and a returning national finalist in their lineup. I believe Iowa has had three #1 ranked recruiting classes in the last four years. So, I am not buying the poor Iowa, had an empty cupboard. Or the "I never heard of any of these guys, until Tom Brands got them." argument. It is baseless.

Other than Jannsen, Luke Lofthouse, and Rasing every guy in Iowa's line up was a high (top 3-5 at their weights as seniors) level recruit, so you have a good point there.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    And Dallago. Revenged all his B10 conference losses.
    KR--All his Big 10 losses except Gambrall

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    KR--All his Big 10 losses except Gambrall
    True I knew that. Didn't word it right. I meant that in QF SF & Finals he was revenging earlier losses.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Other than Jannsen, Luke Lofthouse, and Rasing every guy in Iowa's line up was a high (top 3-5 at their weights as seniors) level recruit, so you have a good point there.
    McDonough was ranked 7th All-Class (although 4th among seniors). Marion was ranked 8th. These are good recruits, but not super recruits.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    McDonough was ranked 7th All-Class (although 4th among seniors). Marion was ranked 8th. These are good recruits, but not super recruits.
    Oh, you mean the defending NCAA champion and NCAA runner-up...I am sure they came up to speed quickly. My point was that the people who say that Brands deserved the coach of the year more than Sanderson are understating what Iowa had in the room this year.

Iowa had a returning champion, a returning runner-up, and a bunch of high-ranked recruits (since they have had the #1 recruiting class 3 of the last 4 years). Penn State had two returning AA's (one from 2010 and one from 2009), and added a runner-up mid-season; along with a bunch of high-ranked recruits. They compare pretty equally, and it turned out that way.

If you saw McD get absolutely pimp-smacked by Oliver their senior year you probably wouldn't have envisioned him as a frosh Natty Champ. I give Brands huge props for turning him into the beast he is.