Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 212829303132 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Big Ten Wrestling Tournament - Championships Brackets, Results, Pre-Seed Posted

Default Re: 2011 Big Ten Wrestling Tournament - Championships Brackets, Results, Pre-Seed Posted

Quote Originally Posted by Laych07 View Post
    Glad to see "that staller Wade" was the difference at the end for PSU.
    Apland gets bonused at an incredible rate. The planet pinned him.

I'll qualify my statement by saying he stalls on his feet.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Default Re: 2011 Big Ten Wrestling Tournament - Championships Brackets, Results, Pre-Seed Posted

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Wade just lost again in the consi semi's.

Although this one might be able to be excused given the fact that he was wrestling an Immortal opponent.
    The immortal ones reign over the consolation semis.

Iowa was unreal in the Wrestle Backs: 3,4,dnp,3,3,5. Most avenged prior losses as well. Those kind of performances will pay off more at NCAA's. It'll be very interesting to see what the brackets look like.

Congrats to the lions. In spite of mental weakness, terrible coaching, and alcoholism you were able to win the big 10s.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyes2 View Post
    You have to say it's pretty impressive to see:

2011 Big Ten Team Champions: PSU
    2011 Coach of the Year: Cael Sanderson PSU
    2011 Wrestler of the Year: David Taylor PSU
    2011 Big Ten Tournament Outstanding Wrestler: Quentin Wright PSU

Now for my argument, Brands took a bunch of Freshman and unproven guys, other than McD and Marion (who didn't look like was going to be coming back) and made them Big Ten and National Championship contenders guys like Ramos and St. John. I think he should have gotten some serious consideration for Coach of the Year even though they didn't win the Big Ten. Just my opinion probably get blasted for it but Taylor and Ruth and Long give Cael a lot more to work with from beginning to end, so in my eyes he doesn't have to "coach" them as much as Brands did some of his guys. Also I think Russell should have gotten OW, I mean he won a STACKED weight. Sure Wright wrestled a great tourney but it wasn't near as tough of a weight to win as 141. But Taylor getting Wrestler of the Year is hard to argue when he's undefeated and he's won 30 something matches by bonus.
    As a PSU fan I'm delighted to see Cael get the Coach of the Year award (especially in light of all the bashing that he's gotten). But I agree with you, Brands did a phenomenal job this year with mostly young unproven wrestlers. My hat is off to the great season that Iowa has had and with both teams being very young they should be in for some great competition in years to come (along with other young teams--Minn and Wisc have some great young guys in the stables too).

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Wright had a great tournament, but it's not as if he was an unknown that shocked everyone. I'd award Wright the "Most Surprising Wrestler this Tournament" if that award existed, but I'd give Russell the OW.
    I'm afraid I have to agree with you. I was delighted to see how Quentin did at the Big 10's and beating Rutt and Steinhaus were great wins over great wrestlers. But 141 was so loaded that whoever came out on top of that class deserves the WOY award in my book. I'd give Quentin the Most Valuable Wrestler (meaning to his team) award if they had one.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    The most surprising thing about Wright is how he has underperformed this year not that he won B10s... I am more surpirsed by Raising winning. Good to see Q back.
    Russell or maybe McDonough deserved MOW.
    A good case could be made for Brands as coach of the year, but people were probably afraid to present him with an award after a loss.
    ODH--You make an excellent point in the last line of your post!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stplace View Post
    Recruiting is part of winning not part of coaching. In college the better you recruit the more you win in all sports. If you look up coaching in the dictionary there is nothing about recruiting. Being a great coach and a great recruiter are two totally different things. Both of these things are necessary for being a great winner.
    I think you're confusing semantics here. A large part of a coach's job is recruiting and a coach's main objective is to win. Obviously there isn't a "Winner of the Year" award, so logically coaches are rewarded for their ability to win and their ability to coach. But when you get into who did the most with more or less talent it becomes increasingly subjective. My point was not to say that Cael won the award because he recruited well, but that it doesn't make sense to give Brands the award over Cael because you deem his recruits to be less stellar. The reality is that they both got blue chip recruits that they considered to be the best kids for their program.

Again, if the Coach of the Year award controlled for success and level of talent/recruiting to 100% evaluate one's ability to get the most out of their athletes then smaller programs like Borrelli's CMU would win it many of those years, not only the major programs that are winning NCAA team trophies. Being a great coach requires all of the above, so it makes sense that they award it to the coach who won Big Ten's so that it's not subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by bwh27 View Post
    I think you're confusing semantics here. A large part of a coach's job is recruiting and a coach's main objective is to win. Obviously there isn't a "Winner of the Year" award, so logically coaches are rewarded for their ability to win and their ability to coach. But when you get into who did the most with more or less talent it becomes increasingly subjective. My point was not to say that Cael won the award because he recruited well, but that it doesn't make sense to give Brands the award over Cael because you deem his recruits to be less stellar. The reality is that they both got blue chip recruits that they considered to be the best kids for their program.

Again, if the Coach of the Year award controlled for success and level of talent/recruiting to 100% evaluate one's ability to get the most out of their athletes then smaller programs like Borrelli's CMU would win it many of those years, not only the major programs that are winning NCAA team trophies. Being a great coach requires all of the above, so it makes sense that they award it to the coach who won Big Ten's so that it's not subjective.
    I agree with you. I was just stating that for a coach to be successful he must be good at both coaching and recruiting. Coaching someone in and of its self has nothing to do with recruiting but is still a necessity. That being said beating Iowa by one point at big tens does not prove that they are superior in either of those things. PSU deservedly won the big ten title but winning by one point doesn't make Cael a clear cut winner of that award. I have no problem with him winning the award but I think the job Brands has done from the start of the season to now is superior to what Cael has done.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    I'm afraid I have to agree with you. I was delighted to see how Quentin did at the Big 10's and beating Rutt and Steinhaus were great wins over great wrestlers. But 141 was so loaded that whoever came out on top of that class deserves the WOY award in my book. I'd give Quentin the Most Valuable Wrestler (meaning to his team) award if they had one.
    And Dallago. Revenged all his B10 conference losses.