Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Workout/ Tournament Log

Default My Workout/ Tournament Log

So, an introduction. I have been wrestling for 8 years now. I fell in love with wrestling my first year and the fire still burns in me to this day. I won my district tournament my senior year and went to state where I put on a lackluster performance. I decided that I wouldn't feel sorry for myself but instead use my loss as motivation to continue on and improve my art. My thoughts led me to dabble in mma. I quickly realized that a lot of the top fighters wrestled in college. After some soul searching i figured my best course of action would be to focus on my efforts on wrestling, get on a college team and as lofty of a goal it may be, place in the NCAA tournament. After speaking with a few former college wrestlers, I figured the best way to succeed in my new goal would be to spend a year getting better (aka getting the crap kicked out of me by my coaches) and then a year wrestling for a junior college before starting my division run. So, I figured I would have to improve my athleticism and get as much wrestling in as possible. I will be posting my workouts and tournament results. I encourage people to post anything they feel will be helpful for me and thank you for your commentary.

Default Re: My Workout/ Tournament Log

As my first post I'll put up a flyer for the tournament I'm planning on entering and the workout plan for the next two weeks.
    http://wswa.washingtonwrestlingrepor...le-3-20-11.pdf

That should be fun considering I've only ever wrestled Folk-style before.

This workout program is pretty much the starting strength program by Mark Ripptoe. I added some Wrestling applicable movements and cardio for non- lifting days. I decided to superset some of the workouts to work my endurance some more as that seems to be my biggest issue. I also added calve raises as my vanity lift cause the ladies love big strong calf muscles.

Week One:

Mon:

Squats: 3 x 5 - Bench Press: 3 x 5
    Deadlift: 1 x 5
    Weighted Dips: 3 x 5-8 - Cable Row 3x8
    Weighted Decline bench Sit-ups: 3 x 12 - Weighted Hyper-extensions: 3 x 12
    Shrugs 2 x 12

Tues:
    Run and Swim

Wed:

Power Clean: 3 x 5 - Weighted Pull-ups: 3 x 8
    Glute Ham Raise 3 x 8 - Calf Raises 3 x 8

Thurs:
    Run and Swim

Fri:
    Shrugs 2 x 12

Sat & Sun:
    Lie in Bed

Week Two:

Mon:

Tues:
    Run and Swim

Wed:

Shrugs 2 x 12

Thurs:
    Run and Swim

Fri:

Sat & Sun:
    Lie in Bed

I'll post my weight for the core lifts so I can track my improvement on those.

Allright, first workout day and i gotta say it feels like i put some good work in. Here are the stats

Squat @ 245lbs
    Bench @ 160lbs
    Dealift @ 225lbs

Nothing too big. I think i'll be bumping each up 5lbs by friday. Squat Maybe 10lbs.
    Oh yea and,
    Chocolate Milk @ 18oz

Second day, I was lifting with a nasty stomach ache the whole time but i managed to tough it out.

Squat @ 250lbs
    Bench @ 160lbs
    Cleans @ 145lbs

Also did some weighted pull-ups. I struggled with the last rep on Monday's Squat but today i busted through without issues. Finished with some chocolate milk that i had to force down.

I had to rush through my workout a little because i got to the gym late. Got my core lifts in though.

Squat @ 255lbs
    Bench @ 165lbs
    Dealift @ 245lbs

Steady improvement.

idk if you think so yourself, but i dont think yu have enough shoulder work in your log. i would add some barbell shoulder presses on the power clean days instead of benching everyworkout.

That's a good point, guess i overlooked it. I'll add some into my lifts this week. Thanks for the suggestion friend.

Alright, hit the gym with a vengeance today.

Squat @ 255lbs
    Shoulder Press @ 140lbs
    Clean @ 150lbs

Decided not to move up with squat for the sake of keeping good form. Took some good advice and did shoulder press with 70lbs dumbbells. Finish with chocolate milk as always. Tomorrow I'll be stepping back on the mats and rolling with some coaches as well as working with some kids at the club.

Less intense day today because I'm doing API's "Filthy Fifty" circuit tomorrow. I'll post my results for that. Anyway.

Squat @ N/A
    Bench @ 165lbs
    Deadlift @ N/A

Friday will be fun though. Here's the link for the "Filthy Fifty" workout: