Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Seperate but unequal=growing chasm between rich and poor in America

Default Re: Seperate but unequal=growing chasm between rich and poor in America

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Let me say this, I know that entitlements are the largest driver of the deficit so there you go. That is an indisputable fact. Fact two if you tax corporations and the wealthy at 100% not only would they run our of money very fast and you would have killed the cash cow, but hey would also move out of the nation at a faster rate or intentionally make less money, meaning they also produced less goods and hired less people. Fact three all most all of the industrial nations in the world are lowering their corporate tax rates attracting new jobs from the US. Even in Germany they are lowering corporate taxes. The easy way to look at taxes is to raise them on corporations and assume that their will be no fallout from it, that's one of those ideas that looks good on paper.

The biggest fact of all is that if we do not cut spending in a serious way and tackle the deficit it does not matter what tax structure we have or what kind of job loss we have because we can not sustain the growth of the deficit. Obama has grown the deficit in under four years larger that Bush did in eight not good.

Does welfacre count as an entitlement?
    The $74 billion that Ban quoted for social welfare is not a major driver of the deficit.
    I thought entitlements were Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I disagree with with this oversimplification. Corporations can only pass certain costs onto the consumer other ones they have to absorb and if they want to stay profitable they have to make their whole business more efficient. That is the beauty of a market driven economy.

For instance, Ford cannot charge more for the cars just because the corporate taxes are higher in the US than they are in Germany or Japan. They can only charge what the consumer will pay.
    Right and if they cant raise the cost of the item then they have to cut the cost to produce the product, which means less employees or reducing pay and benefits to the employees.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    Sure there is! Through the electronic system ansd through case workers.

I can assure you that when the laws were changed in 1997, it made it virtually impossible to abuse the system today. If, for no other reason, the system requires that you either work or go to school to collect welfare today. No more sitting and home and getting a check. Hasn't been that way since 1997.

Now, tell me the monitoring system that we have for corporate welfare cheats.
    Are you really trying to say that since "laws were changed" it is (and I love this word) "virtually" impossible to to abuse the system? Excuse me while I wipe the laughter spittle off my computer. Have you ever heard of identity theft? There are laws against it. There are people who "make sure you're telling the truth" yet it is the biggest growing crime in America. I suppose you trust that everyone getting a welfare check or an SS check is exactly who they say they are. And I also suppose you think that someone is making sure of that. I really can't go on with this thread if you are blind enough to think that every single person getting government aide is getting it because they deserve it.

You seem like a nice guy who means well, but come on man. You are naive. ODH, I meant to respond to your stuff, too. But this seems to be getting us no where. I have learned from my other posts that I tend to get as "ugly" or "mean" as others if I try to ramrod my thoughts into them. Great debate, though!! I love that kind of stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Right and if they cant raise the cost of the item then they have to cut the cost to produce the product, which means less employees or reducing pay and benefits to the employees.
    You are missing a basic driving of the market economy. Many times business can't cut pay or rasie the price, so they either have to live with reduced profits or find ways to cut costs elsewhere. There are plenty ways to make a business more efficient and therefore more profitable.
    The corollary to your argument is that if we reduce business taxes we should all either see the cost of stuff we buy go down or everyone get pay rasies. That is not going to happen.