Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Win Win" movie

Default Re: "Win Win" movie

Paul Giamatti was on Conan last night promoting the film.

My opinion:

Win Win is a vehicle for newbies in LALA-Land trying to prove to the studio heads that
    1)they can direct a few A list B list actors &
    2)to give the a screenwriter his modest shot &
    3)to show that they can produce a mildly dramatic semi-interesting story in hopes of parlaying it into a bigger deal (budget & payday) = fairly generic stepping stone movie.

That being said I liked it & I enjoyed it.

The movie is the story of Mike (Paul Giamatti) a schleppy lawyer, (& part time wrestling coach) who doesn't want to become a shark, doing what he has to help his family survive. Along the way he makes a questionable career decision that leads him to America's latest version of dysfunctionality.

Former NJ 119 lb State champ Alex Shaffer is understated as the grappling prodigy Kyle with abandonment issues & the Marshall-Mathers-on-acid dye job. (Also it's ironic in the movie that Kyle is actually a 103 lb freshman Ohio State champ. My favorite line is when Kyle proclaims "I don't want to go to Ohio!")

BEWARE that WIN WIN is NOT a wrestling movie but a film with wrestling as nice back drop. The wrestling moves & scenes are nearly pathetic if not for their comic relief. Kyle pins a kid with a standing Petersen & says later he doesn't have a move but he calls it literally "Do whatever the fuck you need to do to get out" move. But for most wrestling fans just the fact that they have wrestling on the screen will make them happy.

One of the best scenes is the team celebrating a first time wrestler & total fish, not getting tech-falled, to preserve a team victory. It's bit more Bad News Bears then Vision Quest as seen further when Jeff Tabor's Vigman, (an Jewish accountant who has never wrestled) is trying to teach novice high school kids how to do a crossface. Wrestlers will find it funny. Funny as in like watching white people in lederhosen trying to break dance in the hood. Ain't happening.

Alex Ryan is good as Giamatti's Bon Jovi lovin former Jersey girl wife, Jackie. Bobby Cannavale is funny as Giamatti's friend Terry, going through divorce living vicariously thru Alex. Former Sly Stone/Rocky brother in law Burt Young has the most difficult acting job as he has the least to work with but does a great job as the demented (literally) Grandpa Leo. Melanie Lynskey is does a good job as Alex's pathetic drug rehab mom, Cindy. You don't like her.

Incidentally, in the intro credits I noticed that some of the 2nd unit externals had SUFFOLK COUNTY, (Long Island) road signs in them. I was like, "I thought this was a Jersey movie." Well it was (is). In the end credits I saw FILMED IN ROCKVILLE CENTRE & SUFFOLK COUNTY. Ah...Joirsee movie filmed in LUN-GA Eye-Lyn! If you can't appreciate irony well it's sorta like making a Film about the Yankees in Shea Stadium....

Go & enjoy!

Shot on Lon Long Island because New York has a 30% tax credit / rebate which helped finance the production. New Jersey has no tax credit program in place at this time.

I know. The NY State Film Commission does a great job for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    My opinion . . . Go & enjoy!
    Thanks for a very nice review. I haven't seen it yet, but definitely plan to. The Jeffrey Tambor scene sounds more like Edward Herrmann in "Takedown" (if you haven't seen it, try to find it - the 1979 movie, not the newer one by the same name).
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Thanks for a very nice review. I haven't seen it yet, but definitely plan to. The Jeffrey Tambor scene sounds more like Edward Herrmann in "Takedown" (if you haven't seen it, try to find it - the 1979 movie, not the newer one by the same name).
    Thanks Spider! I will check it out.

It's set in nearby (to me) New Providence, NJ, and there are only four theaters in the state that are playing the movie - none in Union County where New Providence is located. I don't get it. Got a nice multiplex a couple of minutes from NP in Mountainside - wouldn't you try to place it there to get better numbers?

Fox added another 126 screens this past weekend and the film performed very well. They may be looking at taking the film to a wide release (500 + screens).

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5><TBODY><TR bgColor=#f4f4ff><TD align=middle>14</TD><TD align=middle>20</TD><TD>Win Win</TD><TD>FoxS</TD><TD align=right>$1,138,864</TD><TD align=right>+145.2%</TD><TD align=right>149</TD><TD align=right>+126</TD><TD align=right>$7,643</TD><TD align=right>$1,947,944</TD><TD align=right>-</TD><TD align=middle>3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

It beat the three films listed below for the weekned gross!

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD align=middle>17</TD><TD align=middle>12</TD><TD>Hall Pass</TD><TD>WB (NL)</TD><TD align=right>$755,155</TD><TD align=right>-55.7%</TD><TD align=right>703</TD><TD align=right>-501</TD><TD align=right>$1,074</TD><TD align=right>$43,754,971</TD><TD align=right>$36</TD><TD align=middle>6</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f4f4ff><TD align=middle>18</TD><TD align=middle>14</TD><TD>Just Go With It</TD><TD>Sony</TD><TD align=right>$632,813</TD><TD align=right>-58.1%</TD><TD align=right>597</TD><TD align=right>-519</TD><TD align=right>$1,060</TD><TD align=right>$101,425,320</TD><TD align=right>$80</TD><TD align=middle>8</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD align=middle>19</TD><TD align=middle>15</TD><TD>Gnomeo and Juliet</TD><TD>BV</TD><TD align=right>$429,732</TD><TD align=right>-71.5%</TD><TD align=right>735</TD><TD align=right>-629</TD><TD align=right>$585</TD><TD align=right>$96,866,076</TD><TD align=right>-</TD><TD align=middle>8</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Well thats nice but those other 3 have been in release for the last 6-8 weeks & most movies gross falls after the first 3 weekends. But is good to see that Steve Gilula is giving the film a chance to get a wider distribution & viewership.