Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cornell heading into the big dance

Default Re: Cornell heading into the big dance

Quote Originally Posted by cpeake7 View Post
    I would like to see Iowa, Oklahoma St. and Minnesota on every top 10 team's schedule. That said, your point about Iowa Central, Coe etc is well taken.
    If ISU and CMU were better this year I'm pretty sure you'd be scale back. The problem is these duals are planned in advance and ISU and CMU haven't been great this year comparatively, typically they are top ten.

Do you really think it's reasonable and/or fair that Iowa, Oklahoma St, and Minnesota wrestle EVERY top 10 team? How do you know what a top 10 team is a year in advance?

Va Tech was up to something ridiculous like 4 at one point this year and has since fallen off the map to 22. So would they be a top 10 team?

Your plan is a bit pie in the sky and not rooted in reality.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    They've wrestled Central Michigan, Lehigh, and Iowa State in duals this year outside of their National Duals competition.

Maybe they should add Iowa Central, Coe, Cornell College, and Southern Illinois Edwardsville to their schedule next year. I'm sure wrestling those teams would do well in helping them attain the "elite!" label.
    I believe Koll tried to put Appalachian State, North Dakota State, Cal State Bakersfield, Cal State Fullerton, and Northern Illinios on their schedule but those teams were committed elsewhere. Darned scheduling conflicts anyway.

LOL for Cornell to have wrestled the tourneys they did (and won or place 2nd at them) and to get the duals they did that's pretty amazing, no way for them to have been able to schedule Minny, Iowa, Okie State, Penn State this year with the way scheduling is.

This argument seems strange to me given the success Cornell has had in past postseasons and the very tough schedule they had early on. Winning the Body Bar, CKI, Scuffle (co-champs) and National Duals seems pretty tough to me. Plus a dual against a Central Michigan team that was supposed to be really good and a Lehigh team that is Top 10 caliber.

One other thing people might not realize is that Ivy league teams are only allowed 13 competition dates, a few less than the NCAA allowance for all other teams. At least 4 of these dates go to cover their 5 mandatory Ivy duals. Then, to get tough competition, they always attend Body Bar, CKI, Scuffle, National Duals. Plus, they are trying to keep or build rivalries with Lehigh and local up and comer Binghamton. That doesn't leave a ton of remaining dates.

Someone mentioned more early season duals but practice starts a week or two later than most schools given Ivy guidelines. As for Penn State, that used to be a good rivalry, especially with Koll being from State College. Koll called multiple times this year and Penn State declined since they would both be at the Scuffle. Too bad, that would have been fun to see.

Don't blame Penn State for your soft schedule GBR!!

In all seriousness I wish there was a release that showed which teams had the toughest schedule.

I'm sure Cornells would be right in the thick of it.

Very true, but they could wrestle one or more one-on-one duals at the beginning of the season in additional to the Scuffle and National duals. Other teams do that. They might even be able to break precedent and wrestle a dual or two after the end of their conference schedule. Cornell has an excellent team this year. I would like to see them become an excellent program. I guess time will tell.
    http://cornellbigred.com/schedule.aspx?path=wrest&

Minnesota, Virginia Tech, Lehigh, Ohio State not exactly a patsy schedule.

Perhaps it could be tougher & they could wrestle more EIWA teams, but that conference has always been more about the individual team rivalries & the conference tourney then anything else. There is no regular season DUAL championship like there is in the B10. Also, the Ivy League has been around a lot longer then just about any conference around.

The hit the toughest individual tournament:CKLV, and arguably the 2nd toughest(it certainly was this year): Scuffle.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    http://cornellbigred.com/schedule.aspx?path=wrest&

Minnesota, Virginia Tech, Lehigh, Ohio State not exactly a patsy schedule.

Perhaps it could be tougher & they could wrestle more EIWA teams, but that conference has always been more about the individual team rivalries & the conference tourney then anything else. There is no regular season DUAL championship like there is in the B10. Also, the Ivy League has been around a lot longer then just about any conference around.
    You can't include Ohio State in that group this year, they are pathetic.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Okay, no you don't. Cornell finished the season wrestling:
    Binghamton
    Columbia
    U. Penn
    Princeton
    Brown and
    Harvard...Please, that is not what I call a hell of a schedule
    In the last month of the regular season OSU wrestled NC State, Northern Colorado and Wyoming. Depending on how you feel about Boise State as a dual team they could be on the list too.