Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth Wrestling

Default Re: Youth Wrestling

maverick - I got back into wrestling (after a 35 year break) because my daughter got involved. It really makes me happy to see your sister enjoying the sport - and doing so well.
    Part of wrestling is injuries. Hopefully, all of your's will be things like black eyes. (I was always, secretly, a little proud of things like that. They made me feel kind of tough!) Sometimes the injuries are a bit worse. Stay in good physical condition. Stretch carefully and thoroughly before matches. Make sure your technique is good. That will keep you away from the really bad injuries. Meanwhile, show off the black eyes and the bruises. Whimps don't get them! (Some of my worst bruises were put on me by my daughter - and she loved it!)

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Thanks Mr. Richardson, my Dad got back involved in wrestling because of me and my sister. He says it's a good way to share experiences and create positive memories with us. I think I finished the season with a 39 and 11 record. I went 2 for 2 at USA State. My sister won 2nd place at USA girls state. Now we are learning a Russian two on one tie series at Augsburg Wrestling Academy. I hope I can go to wrestling camp this summer. I want to go to Augsburg Wrestling Camp. Jason Ness will be coaching this year. He won a National Championship for the Gophers. I like Augsburg better than the Gophers but I like the Gophers too. Gophers look like chipmunks but I don't think they talk funny like the chipmunks. I want to go to the Askren Brothers Wrestling camp but it is far away and I'm too little to stay overnight there. Ben Askren looks like Jordan Holm but his muscles are not that big. Jordan Holm does Greco Roman wrestling and we see him at Augsburg sometimes. Ben Askren wrestles funny. He is upside down a lot. I laugh when I watch his matches. I want to wrestle like that too. My little brothers are wrestling now. One just turned 6 years old and the other is still one year old but he likes to wrestle with us when we practice at home.

Here is another video my Dad made of me wrestling this year.
    I am 10 years old. My Dad helps me make these posts. Please share your youth wrestling stories with me.

I always look forward to your posts - and your Dad's great vidios. Your wrestling, and that of your sister, is really remarkable. I don't think I won 39 matches in my entire wrestling career! (Again, the wrestling star in our family was my daughter. She went 39-1 against women in high school, 42-20 against guys. And she beat the holy carp out of me while giving away almost 100 pounds!)
    If it is O.K. with you I am going to steal a couple of your vidios to show to my middle school and high school wrestlers next year. I would like to show them what they COULD do with a little more dedication and work.
    By the way, the guy that did the Chipmunks was a friend of my family, and a really nice guy. David Saville, actually Ross Bagdasarian, and his family raised grapes in the Coachella Valley in California. So did my wife's family. Go to Witch Doctor -David Seville and the chipmunks (WITH INFO).wmv - YouTube to hear his first big hit.

Thanks Mr. Richardson. I thought you wanted to steal my videos but my Dad said that meant you wanted to show it to people. I think that would be nice. I'm sorry Roxanne is no longer with you and that Cyrano is gone too. My Dad said at least they were able to experience love on Earth during their time with you. My old wrestling Coach, Ned Shuck said if Heaven requires a dog in it to be perfect then there will be dogs in Heaven. Maybe you can see them in Heaven. When I get to Heaven I want to wrestle. My Dad said wrestling is sanctioned by God because Jacob wrestled with the Angel of the Lord. in Genesis 32. That used to be on the Augsburg Wrestling Academy website. Maybe we can wrestle with the Angel of the Lord when we get to Heaven too. Just be sure to keep your legs back or he'll touch you on the leg. My Dad keeps saying we wrestle with ourselves all the time so wrestling on the mat helps us better wrestle with our own weaknesses. Today my mom was complaining about how messy the house was so I tried to help by loading the dishwasher for her but she kept saying I was doing it wrong because I was using too much water to rinse the dishes. Then she told me to stop because I was annoying her too much. My Dad says we don't dare try to clean up when she is home because then we will get in worse trouble. My Dad knows the witch doctor song and has been to California were the grapes grow. There was a movie filmed there called the grapes of wrath. Thank you for replying to my thread. I look forward to reading your posts very much. That's why I post on here.
    I am 10 years old. My Dad helps me make these posts. Please share your youth wrestling stories with me.

Maverick - I suspect that when you are in High School you will read the book "The Grapes of Wrath" - hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I did.
    I don't know if dogs go to heaven or not, and I don't really want to get involved in a theological discussion, but I can't imagine any place that is suppose to be perfect that doesn't have animals. I have been around a lot of animals in my life - some were companions: dogs, cats, horses, rats, raccoons, fish, crabs, etc. Some were future food: cows, sheep, goats, chickens, pheasants, Guinea hens, etc. Some I liked (dogs, cats,rats, fish) some I really looked forward to their demise (chickens, cows, Guinea hens). I am ambivalent toward horses. I recognize their usefulness - but have never been around one that I didn't think was planning to hurt me.
    You need to ask your mother to teach you how to load the dishwasher. It will take you a few attempts to get it right (did you do a single leg take-down absolutely perfectly the first time?) but then you will understand what is going on - and it will allow you to be a BIG help. The time that she spends teaching you to do dishes is like the time you spend with your dad wrestling. Don't think of it as just time learning a task. It is a time to learn about your parents and for them to learn about you! I call that "quality time".
    My wife and I are thinking about adopting a couple of new greyhounds this summer. When we get closer, I will put pictures and descriptions up and ask what you think.
    Last edited by M Richardson; 04-21-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Hi Mr. Richardson! This summer I've been practicing loading the dishwasher and my Mom doesn't complain so I must be getting better. My Mom had a baby girl this summer so we have a new sister. We're all helping take care of the baby and take care of my Mom this summer.

One of my jobs is to take out the garbage. I take the garbage out of the kitchen and put it in the garbage bin outside the house. On Mondays I get to wheel the outside garbage to the end of the driveway so the garbage truck can get it. Then I take the empty garbage bin back to the house. Sometimes my sister and 6 year old brother help because it's fun to push the garbage bin because it has wheels.

This summer my sister and I went to Augsburg College wrestling camp. My sister hurt her arm and shoulder and it took a month to get better but she still had a lot of fun at camp. I won 2nd place at the individual tournament and I won an Auggie Award. They told me the Auggie Award was for hard work and a good attitude.
    I also went to J. Robinson Youth Wrestling camp this summer. There weren't as many people at the youth wrestling camp but some of my partners were very good wrestlers and it was a lot of fun.

Twice a week for June and July we went to North High School in North Saint Paul and practiced wrestling. My cousin Brandon Lee came sometimes. He is 5 years old and won 3rd place at USA wrestling state and 1st place at MYWA State and 1st place at freestyle. He is really fast and a good wrestler. He has to wrestle kids bigger than him because the ones his size and age aren't good enough to wrestle him.

I learned to ride a bike this summer too. We moved to a new house that wasn't on a busy road so we can ride bikes. My Dad said we learned to ride bikes late but it's better late than never. My Mom never learned to ride a bike when she was little.

My Dad said he wanted to get in better shape so he started running at the track at the local High Schools. We went with him so we could be with him and play outside. We started running just 2 laps around the track at first and now we can run 3 miles no problem. Even my 6 year old brother runs 3 miles with us. My Dad won't let him run more because he said he's never heard of a 6 year old running that far so he's going to ask a doctor first. I've ran 5 miles with my Dad but it gets too boring to run for so long. My Dad can't keep up with my sister and I so I think that's why he really doesn't let us run so far.

My sister and I practice wrestling at home too. This summer we started learning tilts. We call them the Perry tilts because we learned them from Mark Perry's DVD about the claw series. We also started learning how to do different kinds of cradles.

Augsburg Wrestling Academy's Fall season starts on Sept 16. I love wrestling. This year there will be team tournaments at AWA so everyone signed up will get to wrestle in a tournament 8 times at Augsburg College. This means I'll get different partners every week because the teams come from other clubs to practice with the Academy wrestlers and then at the end of practice we run the team tournament. I'll get to make a lot of new friends this year. I had a great summer but this wrestling season may be even better!
    Maverick

Yesterday I ran 6 miles! That's the farthest I've ran so far. That's a good record for the summer. I can't wait for wrestling season!

Quote Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
    Yesterday I ran 6 miles! That's the farthest I've ran so far. That's a good record for the summer. I can't wait for wrestling season!
    Wow! That's impressive. You must be pretty mentally tough. Whenever I run, I think of a reason to stop. You will go far with that type of mental toughness.

Hi Quinn14, My friend from South Saint Paul is named Quinn too. He's a good wrestler. Thank you for saying nice things to me. My Dad says I should always thank people when they say something nice to me because then two people will be happy. I'll bet you can run really far. How far can you run? Yesterday was my first day of school this year. I told my class I ran 6 miles on Sunday. Some said they didn't believe me and some said it was impossible but some said they did believe me. It's true. My Dad was running with me on the track the whole time and so was my sister. She can run 6 miles too. When I grow up I want to be an engineer. They can invent things like robots and machines and help with electricity.