Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth Wrestling

Default Re: Youth Wrestling

Mavrick - somehow you got several posts in without me noticing! It sounds like you are having a lot of fun with your wrestling, and being quite successful, too. Good for you! I like the fact that you are really working at perfecting a few moves (the cradle and the double-leg) while you are busy learning new stuff. I think it is really important to have certain moves that you get so good at that you just know you can hit them. I call them "watch for" moves, because the other coaches are going to tell their wrestlers "watch for his double leg" or "watch for his cradle".
    I'm glad your sister is enjoying her wrestling, too. I got back into wrestling because my daughters took up the sport. So women's wrestling is important to me. The guys my daughter wrestled got teased a lot too. Eventually people began to realize that she was a pretty good wrestler and that it was going to be an all-out battle for the guy to beat her. Most of the teasing stopped then. Its hard for the guys - if you lose, then "Oh, you got beat by a girl". If you win, its "So what, you beat a girl". But it is hard for the girl, too. The women who wrestle need to be treated with the same respect you would give any opponent - they work hard to get into the circle, just like the guys do!
    I really like what your dad said about the crying and the getting angry. I am going to pass that on to my wrestlers. I'll take care of the anger and excess emotion - they can work on the getting better.
    If your dad gets a chance I would love to see some more videos of you wrestling - it sounds like you are just getting better and better.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
    My Dad noticed that last year when I lost I cried but this year when I lost I got angry. He said neither of those are good for me and I should let him do the crying and the getting angry and I should concentrate on the good and just get more determined.
    I agree with M Richardson (I usually agree with him because he's a smart guy and I'd be foolish not to) - your dad gave you some very good advice about how to use a loss in a constructive way.

I wish you the best of luck in wrestling, and you and your family a Happy New Year.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Thank you Mr. Richardson and Spider. I like you both. So far I've been to 6 tournaments and got first place twice and 2nd place four times. I need more work on escaping and reversals. My Dad says I need more exercise so I don't get too tired. I keep putting my face in the mat and hanging onto the leg when I shoot but I can cut the corner form there so it gets me points but I'm fighting hard from a bad position each time. I like your "watch for" name. I want my "watch for" techniques to be the double leg and the cradle but I score mostly with high crotch and pin mostly with half nelson. My Dad says practicing the double leg makes all other leg attacks better. I think that is true.

I know I'm getting better because last year my friend Quinn from South Saint Paul could beat me most of the time but this year I'm able to beat him most of the time. We wrestled against each other for the first time in a tournament and I won. He is the best sport and maybe the nicest wrestler I know. My Dad said we could have a play date later so he and his family can come over to our home to visit and we can play together. My friend Jared from South Saint Paul invited me to his birthday party but we couldn't go because we already made plans that day. I got a card and present for him anyway and I'll give them to him at practice.

I like my friends from wrestling very much, even more than my friends at school but I like my friends at school very much too. At North Saint Paul they are not that good. Many of the kids just wrestle in socks because they have no wrestling shoes. My sister and I win almost always when we wrestle there. They are all very nice to us too. Two girls wrestle there and they are good friends with my sister. North Saint Paul asked my Dad to help them coach because they need more coaches. Yesterday and Monday my Dad coached for us. He had my sister and I demonstrate moves and drills because we know them already. The kids at North Saint Paul started calling me ninja after I scored 7 takedowns in a row off their best and biggest wrestlers during a king of the ring game. Even the coaches call me that now. My Dad says with a name like Maverick I don't need any nicknames though.

Here is a video my Dad made of me.
    I am 10 years old. My Dad helps me make these posts. Please share your youth wrestling stories with me.

I like your "watch for" name.
    We call those moves "go to" moves because when you really need points, they are the moves you go to.

I like my friends from wrestling very much, even more than my friends at school but I like my friends at school very much too.
    I'm old enough to be your grandfather, and still some of my best friends are people I met through wrestling. I'm sure that if you stick with the sport, and it seems that you will, you will find this to be true for you.

I just watched your video - nice job!
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Hello Spider, thank you for talking with me on here. I've heard of go to moves before. I think my go to moves are the high crotch and the half Nelson. I usually use the crackdown finish for the high crotch.

Yesterday Augsburg Wrestling Academy hosted a team tournament at Augsburg college. North Saint Paul, South Saint Paul and Tartan had a triangular there. I wrestle on all those teams but North Saint Paul had the fewest people so I represented North Saint Paul to help them. I had a lot of fun but I got hurt in my second match when my friend's knee hit me under the eye on my cheek bone. It hurt a lot but I tried not to cry during the match because my Dad said I should try my best not to cry on the mat unless I really need to because that is honoring the sport and having good sportsmanship. It swelled up a lot and I felt really week and tired.

I lost the match and when I got off the mat I couldn't help it and I started crying. My Dad said it was okay to cry because he knew it must have hurt really bad and he said I was very brave to have kept wrestling and wait until I got off the mat before I started crying. It hurt really bad and after the match it swelled up even more. My Dad was nice to me and put ice on it for me. I wanted to go home but he had to stay because he had to run the tournament and my mom couldn't come pick me up because she was hosting a baby shower for her sister.

I kept ice on it and the swelling went down after a while. Then I was really tired and hungry and I really wanted something to eat. My Dad had my sister and I pack lunch for ourselves so I ate our lunch. We packed some things for my Dad but I was so hungry I ate his food too. My sister said she would give her food to my Dad but he said that it was okay and my sister should eat it for herself.

I didn't wrestle after my 2nd match because I got hurt but my sister wrestled 4 matches. She lost the first but she had her opponent in a cradle and on his back and both his shoulder blades on the mat for about 20 seconds but the referee said one of his shoulders wasn't down so he didn't slap the mat. She won all her other matches. She is becoming famous now. People yell "Don't let her put you in a cradle" when she walks onto the mat. Hey! That's one of Mr. Richardson's "Watch for" moves! They're really saying "Watch out for her cradle"! Haha, that's funny.

I had to wrestle a 5th grader for my first match but I won in overtime. My Dad said that was his favorite match of the whole year. I watched the video and I need to dig my toes into the mat and drive when I'm on top. I was putting my knees down on the mat a lot. That has been a problem for me last year too. I still need more practice. I'm glad I can watch the video to see how I'm doing.

Maverick

Maverick North Saint Paul Vs Tartan 1-15-12 - YouTube

Maverick's first shiner (black eye). - YouTube
    Last edited by Mavrick; 01-16-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Fix spacing and video links
    I am 10 years old. My Dad helps me make these posts. Please share your youth wrestling stories with me.

My eye is getting better now but I'm out of shape because I haven't been doing my exercises at home as much as I used to. My sister went to the North Saint Paul tournament and got second place. She pinned her second opponent with a cradle. She uses the cradle a lot. During our preseason training at Augsburg Wrestling Academy in Minneapolis we went over the Augsburg cradle every Tuesday for 30 minutes. There are many finishes to it but she mostly uses only 2 finishes. North Saint Paul's wrestling season is over so my Dad asked her if she would like to wrestle at Simley with me but she said she doesn't want to because when she wrestled there the boys acted weird when they wrestled her. She doesn't get angry when she loses like I do. My Dad says that's why she is getting better faster than me, because it's all fun to her and not work. She wants to practice more because she has more fun at it. I think wrestling is fun too but I still want to win. It's not as much fun for me if I don't win.

Ngao Shoua's first cross face cradle to a pin in a youth wrestling tournament - YouTube

I didn't wrestle at North Saint Paul because I wrestled a team tournament for South Saint Paul that day. My Dad wasn't there because he had to go with my sister to North Saint Paul. I thought I won 4 matches and lost 1 but my Dad said the coach told him I was either 3 and 2 or 2 and 3. I hope one of the other parents recorded me so my Dad can see it. My last match went into triple overtime and I won because I got the escape. That was the second match I've wrestled that went into overtime and the second match I've won in overtime.

Maverick and Ngao Shoua Eagan youth wrestling open tournament. 1-14-12 - YouTube

Last night was the first night for Simley's travelling team. Keith Gliva was coaching that last night. He's an All American wrestler from Augsburg College. My Dad Says the real reason Simley High School wrestlers are so good is because they were all youth wrestlers for Keith Gliva. Coach Gliva saw me do a High Crotch on my partner and said I did good. He asked the other coaches who I was and they told him and coach Gliva watched me wrestle a little more. I was still hurting from my eye and my back and tired because I was a little out of shape. At the end of practice Coach Gliva said nice things to me but I was tired and not smiling. My Dad told me I should smile more so people will want to talk to me more. He told me getting a compliment from coach Gliva should be treated better so I must be sure to smile and say thank you from now on. I was tired and hurt though. I had a head ache too. I'll try to smile more next time.

Also at the end of practice one of the best wrestlers patted me on the back and said I did a good job. He is older and bigger than me and a very good wrestler. I saw him do a back flip to get out of a single leg takedown once. He never said anything to me before. At the beginning of the season at Simley no one wanted to wrestle with me because I didn't know anyone. At the beginning of practice I couldn't find a partner so I had to wrestle with a little boy that wouldn't pay attention. Then the coaches made a kid that used to complain whenever he had to wrestle with me be my partner but he didn't complain this time. I could always beat him but this time it was even easier to beat him in practice. My Dad said I'm slowly earning respect in that practice room. I'm happy they are being more nice to me now.

Maverick

My sister and I went to the South Saint Paul youth wrestling tournament and some of our teammates from Simley were there. We represented South Saint Paul because it was their home tournament. One of the mothers of one of the kids from Simley that my sister usually practices with got mad because we represented South Saint Paul instead of Simley. She was one of the moms whose kid gave my sister a little hard time when they wrestled in practice. She didn't say anything to my Dad but when my Mom took us to practice at Simley again my mom said she was talking and complaining about us because we represented South Saint Paul at the South Saint Paul tournament and we go to Simley and learn Simley moves. My sister said the other kids gave her an extra hard time in practice that day. The coach told us we have to choose between South Saint Paul or Simley because we can't wrestle for both. My sister and I want to wrestle at South Saint Paul because they are nicer and my Mom wants us to wrestle at South Saint Paul because she doesn't want to be around that lady. My Dad says it is his fault and not Simley's fault because he misunderstood their policy. He said he apologized for any problems and they were very nice to him. I like the coaches at Simley but not everyone there is as nice as others. I'll miss wrestling at Simley even though they are not always that nice.
    Last edited by Mavrick; 02-08-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Sounds like you are more grown up than some of the adults you are having to deal with. That happens sometimes. Your dad is a gracious gentleman for responding the way he did.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Thanks Mr. Richardson. I've placed 1st in my last 3 tournaments. I think my record this is so far is 26 and 6. I lost 3 times to my friend from Woodbury. That makes me mad. Today we went to Woodbury to see one of my friends in High School wrestle at Regional. I saw a lot of High School kids I've met since I started wrestling. I didn't know I knew so many people. Tomorrow we're going to Augsburg College to watch the NCAA Div III great lakes regional. I hope I get to go the the Augsburg College wrestling camp this summer. I was too young last year. My Dad has a youtube channel with me on it called maverickwrestling. My sister is doing well in wrestling this year.She says she's having a lot of fun. Here are some videos of her

Last edited by Mavrick; 02-25-2012 at 02:08 AM.