Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 141

Thread: You stay classy, American Atheists group

  1. #10
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,960

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    IMO the billboard itself is not that classless.
    Speaking out against Christmas is never going to be popular, but I don't see anything objectionable in that bilboard.
    To clarify my position: To have to join a society that denounces religion is pretty pathetic, most atheists just want not to have religion forced on them, but have no desire to actively campaign against others's beliefs.

    But that actual billboard I don't find to be that extreme, especially compared some of the recent attacks such as the Obama/Hitler/Lenin billboard that was in Iowa.

  2. #11
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Actually, we are. Just kidding, but everyone thinks that their beliefs are right and anyone who doesn't share them is wrong. I think that, but I'm realistic enough to recognize that I could be wrong. Actually, my belief is more like the two dimentional discusion - if God does exist, he is beyond our comprehension and nothing at all like the anthropomorphic being that most religions worship.
    On that point Peter Parker, I would agree with...just about. It IS within our comprehension. It really has to do with your willingness to go there. If you address it from a viewpoint more akin to mathematics you might find out that the infinite is just a state of mind.

    Perhaps this is the lifetime for you to just enjoy the physical. But when the body stops functioning, guess what? You won't...and you'll be thinking either, "wow this is cool!" or maybe, "oh shit! now what...?" Just a tip.

  3. #12
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    On that point Peter Parker, I would agree with...just about. It IS within our comprehension. It really has to do with your willingness to go there. If you address it from a viewpoint more akin to mathematics you might find out that the infinite is just a state of mind.

    Perhaps this is the lifetime for you to just enjoy the physical. But when the body stops functioning, guess what? You won't...and you'll be thinking either, "wow this is cool!" or maybe, "oh shit! now what...?" Just a tip.
    I would love to find out I'm wrong about the infinite, but I see no reason or evidence to believe it. It makes much more sense to me that it is a creation of humans who don't want to accept that death is final or that they will never again see their deceased loved ones. In addition, it gives hope to people with miserable lives and gives religion more control over its followers.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  4. #13
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Please. The billboard is posted and intended as a direct and negative attack at a group of people and their beliefs.
    Probably.... but so what? Why is that a problem? I have been consigned to brutal h*ll more times than I can count and I get a chuckle out of it. Why wouldn't a true believer just roll their eyes, stay true to their faith, and move on?
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  5. #14
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Spider...

    Well the Buddhists might say "Perception IS Reality..." So as you believe so the world demonstrates to you that beliefs are correct.

    When you just accept the world @ it's face value then your experiences will just be an extension of your beliefs.

    So if you really want to see if you are wrong or not, I would suggest that you might try operating from the viewpoint one day or for a week or a month that you ARE an immortal soul & see what happens.

    I have found very often that people go through major viewpoint shifts as the result of a crisis. CAR CRASHES I call them. Some people don't "get it" until they go through a CAR CRASH & they have everything in their life destroyed & have to start over. Often those experiences have more to do with the fact that the person needed to let go of shit that they didnt need in their life anymore.

    If you go about "researching" whether you are right or not & really open your mind to the fact that you could be incorrect in your conclusion, then you might find something out. If you go about it with the idea that you already know that your conclusion IS correct & that you are just going to go out & prove it, chances are YOU WILL prove it & not learn a thing.

    Call me crazy...
    Last edited by kr1963; 12-10-2010 at 02:18 PM.

  6. #15
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    Same could be said about your religious choice. Maybe you screwed up and will be burning in Islams h*ll with us atheists and the other 5.5 billion people on the planet who are not Muslims. Oops.
    Scott apparently you know zero about my religious choice.

    I don't know from what dark place you hypothesize that finality but I think you need a break from whatever it is that puts u there.

  7. #16
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    How about a First Amendment protected exchange of ideas and beliefs and nothing more.
    That's fine. I never said it was illegal. That doesn't make it less of a douche/asshole move.

    Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    Probably.... but so what? Why is that a problem? I have been consigned to brutal h*ll more times than I can count and I get a chuckle out of it. Why wouldn't a true believer just roll their eyes, stay true to their faith, and move on?
    Who said it shook my faith? I just said it was rude. You're tilting at windmills here. I never said the billboard should be torn down, I never said atheists should be flogged for putting up the billboard/not believing in God, I simply said it was a douchebag move.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  8. #17
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Wow,when this forum get so sensitive?

    I deleted the offensive posts and won't bother this forum any further (except to get college and international results).

    I apologize.
    Last edited by sgallan; 12-09-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  9. #18
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: You stay classy, American Atheists group

    Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    Wow,when this forum get so sensitive?

    I deleted the offensive posts and won't bother this forum any further (except to get college and international results).

    I apologize.
    What are you talking about? You responded to my post, and I responded to you.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •