Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pulver not so evil anymore

Default Re: Pulver not so evil anymore

Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan View Post
    I was glad that Chael won but disappointed in his performance. Filho pretty much gave him that fight, barely engaging on the feet and trying every opportunity to just flop on his back and steal a submission. I don't understand why Chael was throwing pitty-pat punches the whole fight like he was practically shadow-boxing and stood over him for so long tapping him on the butt with his foot. He clearly won the fight but in large part because Filho did nothing more than show up.
    I have no problem with Sonnen strategy. He was clearly winning aginst a fighter that was regarded by many as the 2nd middle weight in the world.
    He was too aggressive last time and he got caught and wasn't going to make that mistake again.

I am of the opinion that fighter should worry about winning first and putting on a show 2nd. Filho was not even trying to win.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I have no problem with Sonnen strategy. He was clearly winning aginst a fighter that was regarded by many as the 2nd middle weight in the world.
    He was too aggressive last time and he got caught and wasn't going to make that mistake again.

I am of the opinion that fighter should worry about winning first and putting on a show 2nd. Filho was not even trying to win.
    What was his strategy in the first round? If there was one way Filho was going to win it was if Sonnen purposely came down on top of him and thats exactly what sonnen was doing. Thats how he got armbarred again and it looked like he wanted it to happen again.

I agree with you on winning first, putting on a show 2nd. My problem with Chael's "strategy" is that he wasn't even punching. It's one thing to fight more controlled; it's another to throw a "punch" that you're starting to pull back before it even hits the guy - and that was virtually every punch he threw. You also don't stand over a guy who is laying on the mat and tap him on the behind for like 2 minutes - again, he wasn't even kicking with any authority at all. If you're not going to engage from that position, then back up and make the guy stand. The ref should've even made Chael back up and bring Filho to his feet. Filho did nothing and deserved to lose, but Chael only won because he did 'next to nothing' (ie, only a slightly discernable amount more than Filho's nothing). It was a horrible fight. Sonnen looked to be feeling him out and pacing himself for a 5-round fight - but it was only 3 rounds.

Shea Stadium
    1964 - 2008

http://www.theopenmat.com/

Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    What was his strategy in the first round? If there was one way Filho was going to win it was if Sonnen purposely came down on top of him and thats exactly what sonnen was doing. Thats how he got armbarred again and it looked like he wanted it to happen again.
    My take is that he adjusted his strategy after the first and chose not to give Filho a chance on the mat. From what i have seen Sonnen has a good GnP and if he wanted a big win or if Filho was actually fighting he would have needed to do some damage on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan View Post
    I agree with you on winning first, putting on a show 2nd. My problem with Chael's "strategy" is that he wasn't even punching. It's one thing to fight more controlled; it's another to throw a "punch" that you're starting to pull back before it even hits the guy - and that was virtually every punch he threw. You also don't stand over a guy who is laying on the mat and tap him on the behind for like 2 minutes - again, he wasn't even kicking with any authority at all. If you're not going to engage from that position, then back up and make the guy stand. The ref should've even made Chael back up and bring Filho to his feet. Filho did nothing and deserved to lose, but Chael only won because he did 'next to nothing' (ie, only a slightly discernable amount more than Filho's nothing). It was a horrible fight. Sonnen looked to be feeling him out and pacing himself for a 5-round fight - but it was only 3 rounds.
    Part of the reason may be that Filho never engaged and Chael never lost his wariness of Filho based on what happen in the last fight.
    When you are going full speed against somebody else who is attacking you full speed, you stop thinking and go on auto-pilot. Sonnen almost looked like he was waiting for the fight to start.