Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TSA Screening

Default Re: TSA Screening

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    I'm 99.99% sure that ban was being sarcastic about making sacrifices for TWOT.
    I must admit I've been a bit entertained by the sudden advocacy and conversion to civil liberties on AM radio this past week!
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    So why, IYO, is one okay and not the other?
    There is a legal precident for searches without probable cause at airports (Border Search Exception).
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I don't know enough about the law to guess as to why one is ok (for now, at least) and the other is not. I'm simply reporting what is.
    Illegal search and seizure IS against the law. But we have slowy been allowing it, for so-called safety, for quite some time now. My favorite example is DUI checkpoints. By definition, they are illegal. But since we put some crying women in front of congress, they okayed it "for safety". Now it's in our airports, rock concerts, football games, ect.....

I'm just saying, if we can ignore our Constitution, why can't we also ignore whatever profiling laws are out there? If we really are doing this for safety reasons, then let's go all the way and use everything we can. I understand that you don't like profiling, but for the good of all others, why not? (sarcasm alert)

It's a very, very difficult situation and all sides have a good point. But I think we should consider everyone's reasoning before we hastily make a decision to look at people naked or feel them up. And if you were just being sarcastic, like Flop said, then I'm sorry I didn't catch that. But, either way, someone was going to make that point.

And if you were just being sarcastic, like Flop said, then I'm sorry I didn't catch that. But, either way, someone was going to make that point.
    I wouldn't call it sarcastic; I prefer sardonic.

For one, profiling is illegal, so not really an option in a free country, such as ours.
    Do you really believe they don't profile at the airport?

Just because they don't say "Hey, pull that guy out of the line, he's wearing a turban" doesn't mean they don't profile. Stick a million common muslim names on a watch list and tell me the 99% that do nothing wrong but have the same name aren't being profiled.. its obviously an option since we do exactly that.
    Last edited by Schlottke; 11-18-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    Do you really believe they don't profile at the airport?

Just because they don't say "Hey, pull that guy out of the line, he's wearing a turban" doesn't mean they don't profile. Stick a million common muslim names on a watch list and tell me the 99% that do nothing wrong but have the same name aren't being profiled.. its obviously an option since we do exactly that.
    I know for a fact that we profile at airports, just as we do on the streets.

In either case it is still illegal, and short sighted in a free country as ours.

And even though they say the screener can't see who is going through at the time, what is stopping them from having a system where the person watching them on the outside signals the person watching the screen and then they record it and it's on the website. To think that can't happen is naive and I'm pretty sure it already has, based on news reports.
    I'd say that's a pretty risky thing to do with very little benefit to be gained. Still, any system has its flaws and can be used counterproductively, but it is probably worth the risk and invasion of privacy for the extra security it provides. I'd rather be groped and photographed than blown up (the ultimate invasion of privacy and violation of my rights).
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

I know for a fact that we profile at airports, just as we do on the streets.

In either case it is still illegal, and short sighted in a free country as ours.
    They'll stop doing it when it stops working.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I'd say that's a pretty risky thing to do with very little benefit to be gained. Still, any system has its flaws and can be used counterproductively, but it is probably worth the risk and invasion of privacy for the extra security it provides. I'd rather be groped and photographed than blown up (the ultimate invasion of privacy and violation of my rights).
    Come on out here to California. I'm pretty sure I can get you groped and photographed in West Hollywood - without getting blown. . . up.

I have problems sacrificing liberty for security. I see our country headed that direction more and more, and it may be an inevitable by-product of the times which-in we live, but I don't like it.
    I don't know enough about the technology of the scanner to know how sensitive it is - will it pick up a nylon knife? X-rays don't. And unless they do an actual strip search, they might as well not bother for all the good pat-downs do. Especially after you have done 8 or 10 of them and have 20 more lined up. We do them all day long, and we catch the obvious. Somebody with a little training and real desire isn't going to be caught by a pat down - groping or not.
    By the way - how good a pat down do you have to do to find a cell phone AND charger unit that have been kiestered? It happens! If a guy can carry a cell phone there, how about a "baby Browning" or other pocket pistol. One trip to the restroom and he is armed.
    Last edited by M Richardson; 11-18-2010 at 03:58 PM.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.