Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Predict 2012 GOP Presidential Nominee

Default Re: Predict 2012 GOP Presidential Nominee

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    TW... If you look at the races he's talking about he is spot on.. The tea party people worked great in some spots, but it obviously backfired in some more democrat-rich areas.
    Okay... lets look at the biggest of those races where a relative political novice takes on the Democratic Senate Majority Leader in a very unionized state. Why was this race EVER close? If the GOP had nominated some other candidate would the result have been different? Would the Tea Party have stayed home? We dont know.

But to assert that the GOP would have done better if they had run a more "centerist" campaign is like saying football team that just passed for 600 yards and won 70-4 could have done better if they had just run the ball half the time instead of only 10 or 12 plays.

Jensen wants to throw out the playbook because we didnt score on every play.

Did Ronald Reagan take the center? Did Newt Gingrich take the GOP to the center in 1994? Did the GOP turn to the center this time???

Frankly its when the GOP turns to the center that they get beat. Bush Sr. did it with the tax hikes, Bush Jr. and the GOP Congress turned to the center with the Drug Benefit Bill, the GOP joined with Democrats in any number of big spending pork barrel projects. Where did it get them? Minority status.

Now tell me again how the GOP wins by looking like Democrats.

UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

The point is, they shouldn't have given up the two safeties. Good play calling would have prevented them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tight-Waist View Post
    Okay... lets look at the biggest of those races where a relative political novice takes on the Democratic Senate Majority Leader in a very unionized state. Why was this race EVER close? If the GOP had nominated some other candidate would the result have been different? Would the Tea Party have stayed home? We dont know.

But to assert that the GOP would have done better if they had run a more "centerist" campaign is like saying football team that just passed for 600 yards and won 70-4 could have done better if they had just run the ball half the time instead of only 10 or 12 plays.

Jensen wants to throw out the playbook because we didnt score on every play.

I don't know, and for that reason, I think the President is likely a two-termer. Before Obama won, he was a prominent national figure, and I personally thought he would be the Dem nominee from the get go. I never bought into Hillary, even though many expected her to win the primary. The only Repub maintaining a high national profile, and therefore familiarizing herself with the American public, is Palin, and let's be honest, there is no way she's winning an election. Obama is one of the best prepared speakers we've seen a,d one of the better campaigners in recent times. Not only that, but people tend to vote for the incumbent anyway. I think Obama gets a second term. I don't think Obama has done a great job, but I also don't think he's as bad as Carter was, and that comparison gets thrown at him a lot.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    McCain was more towards the center and he is a big reason why republicans didn't go to the polls on 2008. I think they need a strong conservative, not a moderate. I don't know who that should be, yet, but I will definitely keep reading this thread and look up the people who are suggested.
    Sarah Palin sunk the GOP candidate in 2008. I said it the second McCain made the selection it was the blunder that destroyed his chances. In fact, I have heard a lot of people say he selected her because he did not want to win.

I wish I knew how to take one quote from a post and reply to it and then one from another, but I have no clue how. It took Spider several pm's to get me to figure out how to just cut off one post. If anyone can show me how to take out one sentence, then reply, then go to another post and do the same, please PM me.

Now, to Zapp, you said that Obama was one of the best prepared speakers. I disagree. If he was that prepared, he wouldn't need the famous teleprompter at every event, he wouldn't make gaffes like "enemies", "spread the wealth" and so on. He tends to do that when he is away from what was written. He is a powerful speaker, I'll give you that. But since he is no longer on the campaign trail, he needs to be a bit more "presidential" and less of a campaigner. Bill Clinton, who I didn't vote for, was an EXCELLENT speaker. He had a smooth tongue and could make the best of any situation. Without a doubt, in my mind, he was the most prepared and best speaker since Reagan. And he was probably better than Reagan on the fly.

As far as him being a prominent national figure before he campaigned for president, I have to ask what you mean. A first term senator that made a speech at the DNC does not make someone a prominent national figure. He did nothing but make a speech before he ran. I had at least heard of Hillary. She was a prominent figure. Obama was not, so I don't understand that statement.

I think his second term will depend on his second two years. If he comprimises with the republicans, then he probably will win. If he just keeps blaming them and not comprimising, he loses. It is all on him now, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Now, to Zapp, you said that Obama was one of the best prepared speakers. I disagree. If he was that prepared, he wouldn't need the famous teleprompter at every event, he wouldn't make gaffes like "enemies", "spread the wealth" and so on. He tends to do that when he is away from what was written. He is a powerful speaker, I'll give you that. But since he is no longer on the campaign trail, he needs to be a bit more "presidential" and less of a campaigner. Bill Clinton, who I didn't vote for, was an EXCELLENT speaker. He had a smooth tongue and could make the best of any situation. Without a doubt, in my mind, he was the most prepared and best speaker since Reagan. And he was probably better than Reagan on the fly.
    By prepared speaker, I meant that when Obama had a speech prepared, he was awesome. Powerful and captivating. Not that he was always prepared to speak, ass obviously he struggled away from the teleprompter.
    As far as him being a prominent national figure before he campaigned for president, I have to ask what you mean. A first term senator that made a speech at the DNC does not make someone a prominent national figure. He did nothing but make a speech before he ran. I had at least heard of Hillary. She was a prominent figure. Obama was not, so I don't understand that statement.
    I knew who he was and had heard about his speech, and I didn't watch the Democratic convention at all. He received a ton of coverage and was talked abotu as a possible candidate in the future, and the future of the Democratic party. So really, I don't know what you're talking about. I never said he was MORE prominent than Hillary, just that he had national recognition and a national profile.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...