Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Predict 2012 GOP Presidential Nominee

Default Re: Predict 2012 GOP Presidential Nominee

I'm starting to have serious doubts that Obama will be the dem.

I haven't even started thinking about the GOP candidate. If they revert back to their old ways then the D's will wash them out in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    If they want to put up a serious challenge they need someone from the center, which is getting more rare for the Republicans. Same problerm Dems had for years and still do to an extant. To win the primaries you have to win over the die-hards, which makes you less attractive for the general election.
    McCain was more towards the center and he is a big reason why republicans didn't go to the polls on 2008. I think they need a strong conservative, not a moderate. I don't know who that should be, yet, but I will definitely keep reading this thread and look up the people who are suggested.

You pick 3 or 4 out of how many??? Shall I start naming those that dont fit your profile and declared themselves strong conservatives? If the GOP had taken a "centerist" view of this election Nancy Pelosi would still be Speaker and Obama would declaring victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tight-Waist View Post
    You pick 3 or 4 out of how many???
    Given how last night went down those three or four wound up being pretty important in the grand scheme of things. I assume (maybe I'm wrong) that the Republicans wanted to retake the Senate. In nominating Ken Buck, Sharon Angle, and Christine O'Donnell they wound up failing at that assumed goal.

Shall I start naming those that dont fit your profile and declared themselves strong conservatives?
    If you want to expend energy on it, have at it. I couldn't care less.

If the GOP had taken a "centerist" view of this election Nancy Pelosi would still be Speaker and Obama would declaring victory.
    Had they even paid lip service to the center in the areas where that plays better rather than JUST focusing on riling up their base then they'd be celebrating an even greater victory.

Because they didnt win EVERY close race they had a flawed strategy huh?

Face it Jensen, the GOP won BIG because they weren't centrists. If they had been, millions of their voters would have stayed home, just like they did with McCain. And we would have gotten the same results.

Let me be the first to predict Hillary Clinton will be the Democrat nominee in 2012.
    Let me be the first to predict that you will be wrong. Most likely the economy will have turned around by then and Obama will once again be a formidible candidate. As long as Obama wants it, the nomination will be his.
    Clinton is enough of a party loyalist that she will not take on the incubent and if she did she will get very little support.

TW... If you look at the races he's talking about he is spot on.. The tea party people worked great in some spots, but it obviously backfired in some more democrat-rich areas.

Who ARE the moderate Democrats still left in the party? Seriously. Many were defeated last night and the ones that werent were mostly strong liberals from very liberal districts. Considering the outcomes last night it seems to me that its the Democrats who need to look to the center... not the GOP.

It certainly wasnt the center that spoke last night.
    The party that takes the center will win a national election. The best way for the Republicans to screw up their victory is to take a hard right turn.
    If you are a die-hard conservative, you will not see the people I judge as moderate Democrats as moderates.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Let me be the first to predict that you will be wrong. Most likely the economy will have turned around by then and Obama will once again be a formidible candidate. As long as Obama wants it, the nomination will be his.
    Clinton is enough of a party loyalist that she will not take on the incubent and if she did she will get very little support.
    While I don't think there is even a remote chance of any other democrat taking the nomination I don't think the economy is going to be all that much better in 12-18 months (when the race will start heating up.) Even with the economy still in shambles he's a formidable opponent for whoever the GOP goes with. (Paul Ryan, Bobby Jindal, Tim Pawlenty)