Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 172425262728 LastLast

Thread: 2008 NWCA All Star Classic Predictions/Discussion (Full Line Ups Posted)

Default Re: 2008 NWCA All Star Classic Predictions/Discussion (Full Line Ups Posted)

Rosholt wins 8-4 to close us out for the night...

Default Re: 2008 NWCA All Star Classic Predictions/Discussion (Full Line Ups Posted)

Some of these scores/info might be a little off. But I've been up for 36 hours, so give me a break. Anyway, this is the gist of what went down.

A few observations:

125: Falck dec Nicholson 6-2. Falck controlled the match, but Nicholson showed some heart at the end. He never really threatened Falck at all though, if I recall.

133E: Baker dec. Humphrey 4-1(ish). This was a great match, I thought. There wasn't a ton of scoring, but they did go after each other and they were moving around. Would have liked to see more offense from Humphrey. Baker kept the pressure coming the whole time though. Hump came very close to getting a few takedowns in the first. He looked quick, but not aggressive. It ended up being decided in the final seconds. I wish Humphrey had won, but Baker was the aggressor, and he deserved the win he got.

133: Kennedy dec. Ness. Wow. Kennedy is for real. He is now my favorite to be at the top of the podium at the season's end. He had no trouble taking Ness down in the 1st period (he did it 2 or 3 times), and Ness was ineffective on top. I credit Kennedy for this.

141: I don't really remember much other than the fact that Jaggers was the least close to winning out of the 3 Buckeyes. Pretty ironic. As a Bucks fan, I'm kind of bummed, but Jaggers hasn't ever been that consistent at the beginning of the year...

149: Metcalf TFall Caldwell. Metcalf got his revenge, to say the least. He started the match by slapping Caldwell, and Caldwell slapped back--so that set an exciting tone early on. The match was definitely entertaining.

157: Leen pin Sanderson. The score was close (until Leen got the crazy awkward pin), but Leen controlled the whole time and kept the pressure. I was impressed with his aggression--I had only really seen him wrestle in the Finals last year, and I didn't have him pegged as an aggressive guy..

165E: Fay dec Sponseller 13-9. The first period ended up deciding this match. Fay took down Sponseller about 20 seconds in and rode him out the whole first period. Colt was resilient in his attempts to escape, and came close several times, but Fay is quite a scrapper. I like his style a lot. Anyways, Spons was trying to escape at the end of the first (he came pretty close, too) and ended up on his back. So the first period ended 5-1 with Fay having 2:40 of riding time. The second period was pretty even and I don't really remember much. The third period was awesome, though. Sponseller had 3 or 4 TDs in about 30 seconds--no joke. But, Fay got one, too, and won 13-9. So, if Colt had escaped instead of turned to his back at the end of the first, it would have gone to OT. Shoulda coulda woulda. In any event, it was an exciting match.

165: Marable dec. Lewnes 3-2(ish). Marable got an early TD and won a low-scoring match. That doesn't mean there wasn't action--they went at it from neutral, but Lewnes was ineffective against Marable's defense. I don't even think he got in on a shot until the last 5 seconds of the match, and wasn't able to finish then.

174: Luke dec. Borschel 4-2(ish). I was really glad to see Luke win this one. I would say he was the aggressor as well and controlled the match. He got in pretty deep on several shots, and I don't remember Borschel doing much.

184: Keddy dec. Caputo, 3-2. I was thoroughly impressed with Phil Keddy. He was incredibly aggressive out there. It's a true credit to Caputo that he didn't let Keddy score more, because Keddy was a freaking hammer the whole time. Definitely one of the most aggressive wrestlers tonight. However, Caputo almost pulled off a trip at the end of a match, but I think it was out of bounds. That would have given him the match, and that would have been a real shame for Keddy.

197: Varner maj. Hudson. Where did this Jake Varner come from??? He worked tilts, took shots, had a reversal, and completely dominated the match. I don't know if anyone will give Varner a run for his money this year--but I would love for it to happen.

285: Rosholt dec. Massey. My first impression was that Rosholt was a beast. He was very physical in the beginning and seem to be tossing Massey around. However, Massey definitely bounced back and showed he belonged there. I wish I could say more, but I left about half way through.

Overall, it was well worth the money and there were some great matches.

Thanks Gold, good stuff.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

I'm sure I'll have much more to say in a week and a half, but my thoughts...

125: Falck just seemed like he was just a little better. Nicholson put himself in a position to possibly steal it but Falck did a nice job securing his TD and getting riding time back.

133A: Seemed like a very even match, but Baker put Humphrey on his back.

133B: Kennedy came out like a man on fire and did a really nice job controlling the early part of the match, then Ness did a nice job trying to come back on him during the second half.

141: More or less see "133A". Very impressed with the way Gallick came back off the tough loss to Tanelli, however like Gold says Jaggs tends to be inconsistent early in the year too.

149: Metcalf is exemplary at going straight from a takedown to a tilt, and thats what helped put him up big early on. The compact nature of his shots also makes his stuff really tough to counter, I thought Schlatter might have been able to capitalize off it last year but he couldn't and Caldwell couldn't here either.

157: They didn't talk about this match a ton, and I didn't really pay attention even when they did. Regardless Leen has shown early on that he's still a phenomenal scrambler and that seems to be what got him the fall in what was a close match.

165A: Fun match to listen to, and I imagine was even more fun to watch. Fay himself admitted afterward in an interview with TDR that Sponseller got him tired. Fay did a good job getting the early TD to negate the eventual momentum that Sponseller would build up with the crowd behind him, and he's well known for putting guys on their backs and having that win matches for him.

165B: Not really surprising to me. Marable got an early TD, and Lewnes couldn't match it. Sounded like both guys went after it here despite the low score.

174: Steve Luke has always been a great handfighter and when he lets his shots go (which are phenomenal) he is tough to beat. Was rooting for Borschel, but a good win for Luke.

184: Didn't really sound like an interesting match, the announcers didn't talk much about it and even when they did I wasn't listening that closely. Sounds like most Keddy matches against good guys that he wins. He gets a TD, he gets out, and then he beats the other guy up on the feet.

197: This result absolutely shocked me, I predicted Varner to win but I assumed it would be like his match against Herbst. I'll be really interested to see the tape on this one, but I imagine you can consider this Jake Varner's message to the 197 pound class.

285: Rosholt's offense has really come together over the second half of last season up to now. Sounded like he really just took it to Massey.

Very pleased with Jake Varner going out there and proving my point, when I argued he'd spank Taylor this year. I don't think it points to anything other than he's been getting better and better, every single year since he was in high school. As a freshmen, took some lumps but got better and better, before finishing 2nd. As a sophomore, dominated the country, including olympic hopeful Jake Herbert, before losing by the skin of his teeth in the finals of the national tournament. This year he looks ready to put a beat down on everyone int he country and win his first national title. Next year he will only get better. I hope ot read more posts about how boring he is. Between here and that other site, I've had much amusement at his critics expense.
    Lets go Brent!

[quote-JensenS]149: Metcalf is exemplary at going straight from a takedown to a tilt, and thats what helped put him up big early on. The compact nature of his shots also makes his stuff really tough to counter, I thought Schlatter might have been able to capitalize off it last year but he couldn't and Caldwell couldn't here either.
    [/quote]

I knew you'd find a way to get a Schlatter reference in tonight.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Wow, I tanked last night! Local guys Baker, Lewnes, and Taylor all lost, and of course Caldwell is an ACC guy that I was rooting for. I guess I'm consistant with my football pool picks....

I will throw something out there about Hudson. Last year he was teched in our dual with Davis. They met again in the NCAA quarters and Hudson was in position to win. Don't bank on Varner yet....
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Baker won
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

Boy did Ohio State's wrestlers suck last night! All three looked terrible! Brent Metcalf is a lethal weapon sent here to destroy us all and Jake Varner is pretty damn impressive as well