Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playing the edge

Default Re: Playing the edge

Quote Originally Posted by ua540ftr View Post
    In Freestyle and College they have the 1pt pushout rule. Do you think that it could be amended to include if the wrestler intentionaly goes out of bounds while playing the edge?

Do you think the pushout rule and amendment should be incorporated in High School rules?
    This could help to keep it agressive and be a deterant to playing the edge.
    FYI, the pushout is just an international rule, it does not exist in college.
    From what I have seen, some type of out of bounds penalty should be implemented in college.

I stand corrected!! For some reason I thought the pushout rule had been implemented last year! I think we need to take it one step further and implement this in both High school and College.

Olympic Champ

First I brought it up, but I don't teach it. Why? Because I am a freestyler first type guy and it is counter to freestyle. But, it is very effective.

Second, you guys talk about people running instantly to the edge. If that is what a coach teaches then that isn't a very good coach, and should be a pretty easy call for an official to make. You teach it to let the action go to the edge, even have your wrestler look like they are trying to circle in, but actually sort of stay sideways to the edge, and then let the counter action take TD attempts out of bounds.

Third, what I mentioned in #2 seems to be very come in the highest levels of collegiate. So apparently even though us purests hate it, it is nonethless very common because those coaches want to win, and especially if you have a wrestler not quite as good as another wrestler, it is the smart strategy.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

You are correct I did see it from a post you had made and I thought it would be a good discussion topic. In the earlier thread your suggestion was good according to the situation proposed. This thread was for discussion only!!

If it's only about winning, a coach can teach whatever he wants. If it's about learning to compete honestly and aggressively, a coach has no business teaching kids to play the edge.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by therick View Post
    However, working the edge is within the rules and I can't blame someone for using it their advantage if they are allowed to get away with it.

Actually, it's not "within the rules" we simply don't have enough officials with the stones to call it as it's stated in the rule book.

5.10.3 Neutral Position. Each wrestler must make an honest attempt to
    work toward the center of the mat and maintain an attack to secure a
    takedown, regardless of the time or score of the match. Contestants may
    maneuver to avoid the tie-up if such action is taken to improve position
    or acquire a takedown. Repeated movement away from the opponent
    without attempting a takedown is defined as fleeing the opponent and is
    stalling. A contestant who continuously avoids contact without initiating
    an attack, plays the edge of the mat, secures a single leg and does not
    attempt to finish the move, or uses upper-body tie-ups to control and
    move the opponent without attempting a takedown, is stalling. Repeated
    use of the head as a lever to acquire a defensive position while in the
    tie-up is stalling.

I don't disagree that for some it's a good tactic if they are blessed with the 95% of officials who won't call them for stalling. My thoughts on the tactic remain the same though. It's employed by inferior, hesitant, wrestlers with little or no offensive ability or inclination and should be called as stalling as soon as it occurs to discourage its use.

Back in the day when I wrestled, you would get 1 maybe 2 warnings to work toward the center and then get hit with a stall warning. The officials have backed way off of it since the neutral start came into effect.
    Last edited by WhippetGrappler; 10-13-2008 at 01:28 PM.
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

Quote Originally Posted by ua540ftr View Post
    On another thread "Playing the edge" was brought up. What are your thoughts on this tactic?

I have seen this tactic used more and more frequently. A kid gets up 1 or 2 points then starts playing the edge, and if the kid is a good defensive wrestler he can just basically stall for the win. It makes for some boring wrestling.

I have heard many different views on this subject and I wanted to see what our esteemed forum members thought about it.
    I've always coached my kids to take high percentage shots and keep wrestling. Let the ref do his thing but keep shooting.

Club him and jack him up with an underhook if he wants to play the edge. Move him around. His edge can now be your edge with a free shot. If the set-up doesnt work you are now out of bounds

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    If it's only about winning, a coach can teach whatever he wants. If it's about learning to compete honestly and aggressively, a coach has no business teaching kids to play the edge.

Fair enough.... but at what level is it "okay" to teach the stategy that will win?

A non wrestling example.... Mexico is passionate about futbol. They have a huge population base with many talented athletes who are skilled at the sport. But they get worked every world cup. Why? Because they play a game where playing it "pretty" or within a style that is what "futbol" is supposed to be is paramount, over of playing to "win".

I think in wrestling Americans can be the same as Mexico is in futbol. We would rather lose pretty than win. I am just not that way.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.