Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nike's Donation to Oregon

Default Re: Nike's Donation to Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsnhips View Post
    The way I see it, it's kind of our job to let them know. When AD's won't listen, go to the people that make them listen......investors.

I'm sure Phil & Penny aren't the easiest to get in touch with, but there might be something we could do. Thoughts?
    Which schools have exclusive shoe deals with Nike? I know Illinois is one, are there others? Those schools have the leverage to get to the top.

I'm not sure there is any leverage at all here.

Nike is gifting this money. They don't have to give any at all.

I think the University is where you put the pressure, not on Nike.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Kolat probably had some high ups at Nike. I rocked the Kolat shoes for a while.
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Quote Originally Posted by Ground&Pound View Post
    I'm not sure there is any leverage at all here.

Nike is gifting this money. They don't have to give any at all.

I think the University is where you put the pressure, not on Nike.

I understand what you're saying here, but leverage on the university has already been a proven failure. If the donators were to call and say, btw.....don't cut any sports programs....i'm guessing it has more pull then me saying that to the University.

Donors have all kinds of leverage! Trust me, I work in this field. This is especially true at a place like Oregon, where a donor became the AD. People with money will listen to people with money, and giving money buys you the AD's ear. Nike has already made the donation; they now have the chance to make a real impact with said money.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

my sentiments exactly. Trust me. Cardinal rule of business. You appease the hand that feeds you.

Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    Which schools have exclusive shoe deals with Nike? I know Illinois is one, are there others? Those schools have the leverage to get to the top.
    I'm pretty sure Penn State has a deal with Nike.

Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    Most of the big time schools have Nike deals with various sports. The team will get free shoes and uniforms. The coach gets a huge stipend. Nike gets to license the team uniform for sale. For the elite schools the Nike deal is worth over $500,000 annually.

I believe Mike Krzyzewski has the most lucative deal of all coaches/teams.

Keep in mind this article was published in 1993.

SPORTS PEOPLE: COLLEGE BASKETBALL; A Lucrative Nike Deal for Krzyzewski

Published: April 14, 1993
    A change of emblems for Duke's basketball team could be worth millions to coach MIKE KRZYZEWSKI. The Blue Devils -- who for years have worn Adidas shoes, the ones with three stripes -- will switch to Nike.

Nike and Duke officials would not confirm the amount of money involved. But a person familiar with the negotiations told The News & Observer of Raleigh, N.C., that Krzyzewski will receive a $1 million signing bonus and an annual salary worth about $375,000 a year, plus stock options, for a 15-year contract.

I believe you can earmark the donation, but there is no guarantee that it goes to the program at all. It all goes into the general fund and then the school decides where the money goes.