Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 39

Thread: Cael's religion hurts him in recruiting and coaching

  1. #10

    Default Re: Cael's religion hurts him in recruiting and coaching

    I joined the Army on the buddy program with my best friend who is Black. I am not Joseph Fielding Smith who referred to them as "darkies" and "coloreds".

    The history of LDS inc is a sad one when it comes to minorities(US Term here) and, like it or not, Cael and family are Mormon. A long history of racism is difficult to overcome and being raised in a place like Heber City, Utah with its attitudes towards "Lamanites" (Indians for those not familiar with mormon terminology) and Blacks is difficult to overcome completely.

    Utah is an unfriendly place to minorities. Growing up there one assimilates the dominant culture as daily life is loaded with Mormons, from school to the stores and neighborhoods and family members. Few blacks live or have lived in Heber City and not many in the State overall.

    Maybe he and his fellow coaches are past it but from his dealings with Bobby and some others it doesn't appear so.
    Showing the history of racism by quoting those who lead the Religion is a heads up for those who are not familiar with the teachings of the Church Cael is a member of. Our current President Obama was taken to task for his membership in a congretation that was shown to be very prejudiced against Caucasion people. Doesnt' make him that way but if he had not stopped going there it certainly would have called his judgment and beliefs in question.

    With LDS, you believe what The Prophet says or you are on your way out the door. "When the Prophet speaks, the thinking is done" is a nice saying many in LDS wards and stakes use to try and get people in line rather than thinking for themselves. Nothing anyone does now changes more than a century of racist garbage. The Leaders preached what they said was The Word of God. Racist CRAP. One good reason I would never let my kids compete for a mormon coach or attend a place like BYU.

  2. #11

    Default Re: Cael's religion hurts him in recruiting and coaching

    I honestly doubt that many people know what religion Cael is. Even fewer probably don't even know what the Mormons believe (if your post is what they believe). And it wouldn't make sense for a guy to try and jump start a program and limit his self to only whites. I think Cael is way too smart for that.

    Did you know Rulon Gardner was a Mormon and his best friend and training partner, Dremiel Byers, is black? Are you sure you aren't the one with the prejudice?

  3. #12

    Default Re: Cael's religion hurts him in recruiting and coaching

    While those lines are in the Mormon writings, they are not ascribed to by the LDS church today, and it's quite a stretch to assume every Mormon believes that. They have missions all over the world, now. I asked a Mormon friend (who was pretty religious, but very open to talk about it) about these once, and he said that back in the day they were believed, but the Church no longer ascribes to them. I asked why, and he said that honestly he had never heard a good reason, and they just weren't taught/listened to/whatever you wanna call it anymore. Anyways, to blindly assume that all Mormons are out and out racists is wildly ignorant. I can quote several lines from the Bible about selling people into slavery. Should I assume all Jews/Christians believe these lines verbatim, today?

  4. #13

    Default Re: Cael's religion hurts him in recruiting and coaching

    I can't tell you how many racist "Christians" I know here in VA. It's ridiculous.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  5. #14
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: Cael's religion hurts him in recruiting and coaching

    Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    I joined the Army on the buddy program with my best friend who is Black. I am not Joseph Fielding Smith who referred to them as "darkies" and "coloreds".

    The history of LDS inc is a sad one when it comes to minorities(US Term here) and, like it or not, Cael and family are Mormon. A long history of racism is difficult to overcome and being raised in a place like Heber City, Utah with its attitudes towards "Lamanites" (Indians for those not familiar with mormon terminology) and Blacks is difficult to overcome completely.

    Utah is an unfriendly place to minorities. Growing up there one assimilates the dominant culture as daily life is loaded with Mormons, from school to the stores and neighborhoods and family members. Few blacks live or have lived in Heber City and not many in the State overall.

    Maybe he and his fellow coaches are past it but from his dealings with Bobby and some others it doesn't appear so.
    Showing the history of racism by quoting those who lead the Religion is a heads up for those who are not familiar with the teachings of the Church Cael is a member of. Our current President Obama was taken to task for his membership in a congretation that was shown to be very prejudiced against Caucasion people. Doesnt' make him that way but if he had not stopped going there it certainly would have called his judgment and beliefs in question.

    With LDS, you believe what The Prophet says or you are on your way out the door. "When the Prophet speaks, the thinking is done" is a nice saying many in LDS wards and stakes use to try and get people in line rather than thinking for themselves. Nothing anyone does now changes more than a century of racist garbage. The Leaders preached what they said was The Word of God. Racist CRAP. One good reason I would never let my kids compete for a mormon coach or attend a place like BYU.
    We got it...... you hate Mormons and this hatred defines you. Hopefully you get over whatever happened to you and get on with life. Good luck. :-)
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  6. #15

    Default Re: Cael's religion hurts him in recruiting and coaching

    Interesting that some think I don't like blacks because I post quotes from those in the Mormon Leadership who were considered Prophets of God.
    I did not say Cael could not overcome his problems or biases if they exist. I do see his problems and relationship with Bobby Douglas as one that raises questions.

    As for what LDS members believe, do you really think they can pick and choose what statements of The Prophets are inspired and which are trash?

    Racist doctrine like this cannot be allowed to be swept under the rug with 'we don't believe it now'. It was taught and believed in the past and many I know still believe it even if they won't state it publicly. A running joke at BYU is 'black track athletes... Javelin catchers'.

    Racism is alive and well in the culture. Cael is a product of the culture. I hope he can overcome any latent or unrecognized bias, but Bubba and Bobby present problems even as he tries to recruit black athletes. I would never let my kids go to a school with LDS coaches because of the prejudice they have grown up with. It is there and it does not go way by saying 'we don't believe it... any more'.

  7. #16

    Default Re: Cael's religion hurts him in recruiting and coaching

    As for what LDS members believe, do you really think they can pick and choose what statements of The Prophets are inspired and which are trash?

    As was mentioned earlier, most religions have verses in their Holy Scriptures which they either ignore, or believe no longer apply. For example, the Old Testament allows parents to request capital punishment for insubordinate children. Christians and Jews may believe these verses to be inspired, or not, but few of us would want to apply them today. I know nothing about Mormon theology, but I don't see why it would be any different.

  8. #17

    Default Re: Cael's religion hurts him in recruiting and coaching

    Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    I would never let my kids go to a school with LDS coaches because of the prejudice they have grown up with. It is there and it does not go way by saying 'we don't believe it... any more'.
    How do you feel about scientology? Would you let you kid be coached by a scientologist?

  9. #18
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Cael's religion hurts him in recruiting and coaching

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    How do you feel about scientology? Would you let you kid be coached by a scientologist?
    I would let my kids be coached by a follower of any religion as long as he kept his religious views to himself and just preached the sport. I would not tolerate a coach of any religion incorporating religion into his coaching (surprise! surprise!)
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Tags for this Thread

bubba jenkins cael sanderson racist mormon, cael sanderson an lds member, cael sanderson and byu, cael sanderson and mormonism, cael sanderson family religion, cael sanderson lds, cael sanderson lds mission, cael sanderson married, cael sanderson mormon, cael sanderson mormon mission, cael sanderson mormon temple, cael sanderson mother, cael sanderson on religion, cael sanderson racism, cael sanderson racist, cael sanderson religion, cael sanderson talks bobby douglas, cale sanderson mormon, cyler sanderson lds missionary, did cael sanderson go on a mission, did cael sanderson go on an lds mission, does bobby douglas still talk to cael, heber city utah racism, how bobby douglas kept cael sanderson on track, how religion hurts kids, huishoudelike reels apos kerk, huishoudelike reels van die ou apostoliese kerk, is cael sanderson a mormon, is cael sanderson a mormon missionary, is cael sanderson married, is cael sanderson mormon, is cael sanderson racist, is cale sanderson mormon, lds.net cael sanderson, mission cael sanderson, mormon mission cael sanderson, mormons recuiting my child, old apostolic, powered by vbulletin black religion, powered by vbulletin of religion, powered by vbulletin religion questions, powered by vbulletin religion today, powered by vbulletin the right to grow old with dignity in all cultures, racism in heber city, religious coaching, scientology cael sanderson, what is cael sandersons religion, what religion is cael sanderson, when did cael sanderson get married, who is cael sanderson married to

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •