Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ads Dwarf Posts

Default Re: Ads Dwarf Posts

You can't find the topic because you're browser is zoomed way in. On a normal browser it'd be one row of ads. The guest users don't contribute to the forum so that is their "payment" for getting the information they are searching for.

The impression it leaves on first time visitors probably varies quite a bit. You, not being a first time visitor really can't tell us what a first time visitor thinks. What I do know is that our return visitor rates, guest pageviews, and memberships have all increased since we upgraded the site.

I'll leave whether or not it's a marketing fail up to the new visitors. If our traffic ever slows down and it's because we're being too invasive to unproductive visitors we may change the site to be more accommodating.

We've got to get something new to talk about now... I think its your turn to post who you think is going to AA at each weight next year. :P

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    For the unlogged visitor to TWT, you can't find a topic behind all of the advertising splashed in your face. That's the impression the site leaves the inquisitive first timer. Here every topic punches your lights out with an ad that cramps the topic. While technologically sound, a big marketing FAIL.
    Last edited by Schlottke; 06-26-2010 at 11:46 PM.

On a normal browser it'd be one row of ads.

and 7 point type that requires a magnifying glass

Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

I don't really know what to tell you on that.. The biggest ad TWT offers is 336 pixels wide multiplied by three, for the maximum ads space accepted by Google, which is is 1008 pixels wide... well under the 1200 that we require for the new template (and acceptable by 99.85% of the people in TWT's community)

Stop fighting with me ryou.. it's got to be bad for my health :P

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    Stop fighting with me ryou.. it's got to be bad for my health :P
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    I don't really know what to tell you on that.. The biggest ad TWT offers is 336 pixels wide multiplied by three, for the maximum ads space accepted by Google, which is is 1008 pixels wide... well under the 1200 that we require for the new template (and acceptable by 99.85% of the people in TWT's community)
    The size of a pixel is device AND resolution dependent.
    Device, meaning hardware: the monitor, printer, scanner, etc.
    Resolution, meaning, how many pixels are used to represent an image.

If you use a lot of pixels (high resolution) you can have a lot of information to describe a picture, with lots of detail, but you?ll end up with a huge (lots of bytes) graphic.
    Low resolution (like in web graphics) can only use as much as 72 pixels per inch for Macs and 96 per inch for Windows.

If you are basing the graphics on 336 pixels wide, the graphic will be 3.5" wide - which just happens to be about the width of the graphics on my screen.

PS, the system doesn't like the editing of a post. It won't re-post after the edit (or it takes an eon). It's quicker to copy the edited post and reply with a new post, then go back and delete the bad post.
    Last edited by RYou; 06-28-2010 at 05:58 PM.

yeah, the quick reply editing AJAX is messed up right now.. if you click "Go Advanced" it cures that issue.

I hate to reopen this can of... snakes, but I'm using my sister's computer right now and just got on here and this is what I saw:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	2633

The adds took up the entire window, and the resolution is 1024x768.

Again, (sort of) sorry for bringing this up again.