Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elena Kagan is SCOTUS Pick

Default Re: Elena Kagan is SCOTUS Pick

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    Interesting what history has shown us in this regard.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=126764692
    My personal belief is that the lack (or none) of judicial experience should not be a major factor. I think it has more to do with what they believe, their writtings, and so forth should be the contributing factor.

I will need to read more about her before i form my opinion on this nominee though.

I like what Pat Leahy said. Obama could have selected Moses and the repubs would probably challenge it. You may not like the guy but that was funny...and sadly not too far from the truth.

It doesn't really matter who he picked. With 4 hard right conservatives, just about every single contentious case will be 5-4 one way or the other. The Supreme Court is essentially a lifetime political pick.

Ms Kagan is clearly a brilliant woman. No matter what, she will bring a lot to the court.

I have started to hear about some of her writings about how certain types of speech should be outlawed but I believe she was in college when she wrote it. I would hope her views have changed since then, if they have not I dont see how she could serve on the bench when she is ready to deny peoples right to free speech.

Olympic Champ

I love this game..... they have to go all the way back to college to find stuff. It won't be long before they find out she punched little Johnny in first grade therefore doesn't have the temperment to be on the SCOTUS.

Funny stuff. They haven't demonized her as bad as Sotomeyor or Alito.... yet. But there is still time.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    I love this game..... they have to go all the way back to college to find stuff. It won't be long before they find out she punched little Johnny in first grade therefore doesn't have the temperment to be on the SCOTUS.

Funny stuff. They haven't demonized her as bad as Sotomayor or Alito.... yet. But there is still time.
    Scott they have nothing to go off of really, just the military recruiter incident other than that it comes down to what she has written. I thought Sotomayor was picked apart and should have been, I think we will be regretting her confirmation for years to come. But they had previous history to look at Kagan does not.

From all accounts she is a fun smart lady but that does not tell us anything about what her judicial philosophy will be.

I hope she will balance the conservative elements of the court. I would not like to see the court skewed one way or the other; it should represent differing philosophies.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I hope she will balance the conservative elements of the court. I would not like to see the court skewed one way or the other; it should represent differing philosophies.
    Its basically a split now with most votes hinging on Kennedy

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Scott they have nothing to go off of really, just the military recruiter incident other than that it comes down to what she has written. I thought Sotomayor was picked apart and should have been, I think we will be regretting her confirmation for years to come. But they had previous history to look at Kagan does not.

From all accounts she is a fun smart lady but that does not tell us anything about what her judicial philosophy will be.
    I am only counting on the 'game' aspect because that is all it really is. As was said; any President could pick Moses and the opposition would complain. And she won't 'really' answer any question, nor will any who follow her, because as Bork found out, if you are forthcoming you get scewered.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    I am only counting on the 'game' aspect because that is all it really is. As was said; any President could pick Moses and the opposition would complain. And she won't 'really' answer any question, nor will any who follow her, because as Bork found out, if you are forthcoming you get scewered.

I agree with everything you said. I think it is sad that people cant be forthcoming and be considered in the same light as they were before. No matter what she says the left and right already have an idea of who they think she is and she will be confirmed either way. Why not let her confirm who she is so we know what we are getting straight from the horses mouth.