Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 LastLast

Thread: AZ Immigration Law

Default Re: AZ Immigration Law

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    It's now required at all times in AZ.
    I have not seen anything that hints that you can be detained for not carrying ID in Arizona. If there were such a requirement, it has nothing to do with the immigration bill.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

I understand that immigrants are required to carry ID, I don't have a problem wth that. I have a problem with citizens being required to carry ID which is now required in AZ.

You'd get arrested for driving without a license. There was not requirement to carry ID during all other activities until this law passed.

It was a while ago, but I think just a copy of my lease and 2 utility bills or pay stubs with my name and address on them. Maryland (and I believe 3 or 4 other states) didn't require proof of legal residency to get a license until 2009. There was an issue with compliance with the Real ID Act and them losing highway funding so they changed their requirements (I think).
    so how did they know your actual birthdate if you didn't have have to produce a birth certificate or SSN card? Not trying to be a smartass it is just that i never heard of a state doing something like this...of course if it is only 4 states that might be why

Quote Originally Posted by leglace View Post
    I have not seen anything that hints that you can be detained for not carrying ID in Arizona. If there were such a requirement, it has nothing to do with the immigration bill.
    So, guy crosses a street without a walk-light.
    Cop stops him because he crossed the street illegally and he looks like an illegal immigrant, asks for ID.
    Guy doesn't have ID. Do you think the cop is going to take him to the station or send him on his merry way?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    so how did they know your actual birthdate if you didn't have have to produce a birth certificate or SSN card? Not trying to be a smartass it is just that i never heard of a state doing something like this...of course if it is only 4 states that might be why
    My birthdate was on my previous license. I don't know how it would work for someone who didn't already have a license.

Cop stops him because he crossed the street illegally and he looks like an illegal immigrant, asks for ID.
    Guy doesn't have ID. Do you think the cop is going to take him to the station or send him on his merry way?
    He will handle it the same way as he did before the bill. The bill just gives cops the right to check a database. Not having I'd does not make one illegal. Its innocent till procen guilty.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

My birthdate was on my previous license. I don't know how it would work for someone who didn't already have a license.
    I think everyone was asking what you had to have to get your first license. I pretty sure it was a birth certificate and a SS card.

If the cop is doing his job, he should detain him until he proves who he is. Again, he might have warrants.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I think everyone was asking what you had to have to get your first license. I pretty sure it was a birth certificate and a SS card.
    My first license was in a state that required proof of citizenship. I brought my birth certificate and probably my ss card. I don't know how first time licenses work in MD, but I do know that proof of legal residence was not a requirement until sometime in late 2008 or 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    If the cop is doing his job, he should detain him until he proves who he is.
    So, people can now be detained for not having ID?