Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: AZ Immigration Law

Default Re: AZ Immigration Law

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    Immigrants are required to carry their papers, citizens aren't. When a citizen in Arizona get's stopped and asked for his/her papers and doesn't have them (I never carry proof of legal residency) what happens?
    that doesn't answer my question. Not to go back into the same old arguement but your lisence will work just fine. Now in regards to not carrying a license in AZ i belive you can get arrested and at least a ticket.

Can you tell me Sully what you had to provide in order to get your drivers license?

Please forgive my grammer and spelling i have been traveling for over 20 hours.

Immigrants are required to carry their papers, citizens aren't. When a citizen in Arizona get's stopped and asked for his/her papers and doesn't have them (I never carry proof of legal residency) what happens?

Citizens are required to carry an ID. Immigrants that are not citizens are required to carry some form of ID as well whether it be a Visa, passport, State ID. Its no different than if we were in Europe of South America. We would need to carry our passport. If they are illegal, well thats a different story isn't it... Remember that many illegals have paid for fake SS and have fake licenses. So even that isn't their problem. Its the fact that a local police officer will now have the empowerment to look up a database and detain somebody who is not here legally. But they have guidelines to do this.

Sorry, but anybody who gets stopped while jogging and asked for ID is going to hit a small fortune once his lawyer is through with them. That is not what this law is meant for. Its just to empower local jurisdictions to do what the federal gov't mandates. Since we do not have federal police officers out and about to enforce this, it makes sense. Much like the American Disability Act adoption by state government.

People have really made a fool of themselves with ill advised comments about this bill on the television. Arizona really covered themselves with this one.

Remember that lawyers are loving this one. They will balance the recklessness of this bill. The police will have to be very well trained. But if they follow the rule of law, and do not discriminate, there should be no complaints.
    Last edited by leglace; 05-19-2010 at 02:02 PM.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Quote Originally Posted by leglace View Post
    Citizens are required to carry an ID.
    What law requires citizens to carry ID all the time?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

I don't know if it's required, but if you don't have one you can always tell the officer your name and SS number. He can run that in his car and I'm pretty sure most cruisers come equipped to do this. The picture of your license will come up and you will be cleared. If you can't provide this info, then you will probably be detained. Chances are, if you can't or refuse to identify yourself to the police then you probably have warrants or something.

Didn't a serial killer get away once because a cop was just being nice and let him go? I'm thinking Bundy, but I'm not sure.

ID is required if you drive.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal

Default AZ Immigration Law

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully

None, with the exception of a DL when driving (there may be more but you're righ generally speaking.) But you are required to be able to prove your identity when detained otherwise risk arrest until your identity is confirmed. Then depending upon the circumstance you could be releases or booked.

Before the 'what ifs' get out of hand, common sense in police work rules the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    that doesn't answer my question.
    I understand that immigrants are required to carry ID, I don't have a problem wth that. I have a problem with citizens being required to carry ID which is now required in AZ.
    Now in regards to not carrying a license in AZ i belive you can get arrested and at least a ticket.
    You'd get arrested for driving without a license. There was not requirement to carry ID during all other activities until this law passed.
    Can you tell me Sully what you had to provide in order to get your drivers license?
    It was a while ago, but I think just a copy of my lease and 2 utility bills or pay stubs with my name and address on them. Maryland (and I believe 3 or 4 other states) didn't require proof of legal residency to get a license until 2009. There was an issue with compliance with the Real ID Act and them losing highway funding so they changed their requirements (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by leglace View Post
    ID is required if you drive.
    It's now required at all times in AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by pm01 View Post
    But you are required to be able to prove your identity when detained
    I don't have a problem with this, I have a problem with being detained because you can't prove your identity.