Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Immigration issue heating up

Default Re: Immigration issue heating up

Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    I can tell you from someone that lives in Phoenix, it is getting to be a real problem down here. I personally have had multiple hit and runs on my car from illegals, known people who were robbed by illegals (yes they caught them), and that doesn't even count the illegal on illegal crime that rarely gets reported.

I think Arizona is sending a message to Washington saying hey if you won't do anything we will.
    If it doesn't get reported, how do you know about it? It's kinda like ryou relying on a "forecast" that the HCR bill will bankrupt all of us.

You guys are comic relief.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    I can tell you from someone that lives in Phoenix, it is getting to be a real problem down here. I personally have had multiple hit and runs on my car from illegals, known people who were robbed by illegals (yes they caught them), and that doesn't even count the illegal on illegal crime that rarely gets reported.

I think Arizona is sending a message to Washington saying hey if you won't do anything we will.
    Perhaps, but as somebody else who lives in Arizona, and given the Mexican-American vote is huge, and growing, in Arizona, the state could well go like California did 20 years ago, and become a solidly blue state, which would mean this law could be repealed in a few years.

An aside, I work with a lot of legal Mexican-American citizens, who are very fearful of being profiled, and a lot of the older ones think it is going to be like when they were young, and treated VERY badly. I am not kidding, they are legitimately scared.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36735281/ns/politics

It is always nice to hear from someone who sits in an ivory tower as to how you should deal with your problems or who ridicules you for making decisions to help yourself and those around you. Which is what Obama is doing when he speaks out against this bill in AZ, he has no idea what an uphill battle illegal immigration is in AZ and never will. That state like all border states need to take up the cause for themselves considering that the federal government is not going to. I dont know that I agree with the bill in full but I do believe that the politics has got to be taken out of it and the law enforcement needs to be free to do its job. Clearly AZ is being overrun with illegal immigrants and needs to make a serious stand against it.
    This is a replay of California in the early 90's. The state became solidly blue shortly thereafter. The Mexican-American voting block is huge and growing in this state. The Republicans will get the blame. That amount of votes, as a block, will change the poltical dynamic of the state...... just like it did California.

Olympic Champ

FWIW..... the legal Mexican-Americans I know are already talking about suing the various enforcement agencies when they get profiled and harrassed. These people who are talking about this are educated, know the system, and have the means to follow through with the suits. Win or lose, the press, the expense, and the mess this will cause with the legal system should be fun to watch. Worms.... meet can.

If the government comes down hard on businesses that hire illegals, then maybe they will stop coming here? I place more blame on American "businessmen" for breaking the law by hiring illegals just to make a bigger buck than I place on some poor guy trying to feed his family the best way he knows how.

Too simplistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Ground&Pound View Post
    If the government comes down hard on businesses that hire illegals, then maybe they will stop coming here? I place more blame on American "businessmen" for breaking the law by hiring illegals just to make a bigger buck than I place on some poor guy trying to feed his family the best way he knows how.

Too simplistic?
    No probably not. Our cleaning people and our gardeners are all probably illegal. Great workers, nice people, I'm happy they are here. Our pool guy is a white dude though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground&Pound View Post

Too simplistic?
    I agree completely take away the jobs for illegals and they have no need to come here without going through the proper process. It would also mean better wages.

Scott I can agree with you but I would suggest that the Mexican culture is socially conservative

Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    Perhaps, but as somebody else who lives in Arizona, and given the Mexican-American vote is huge, and growing, in Arizona, the state could well go like California did 20 years ago, and become a solidly blue state, which would mean this law could be repealed in a few years.

An aside, I work with a lot of legal Mexican-American citizens, who are very fearful of being profiled, and a lot of the older ones think it is going to be like when they were young, and treated VERY badly. I am not kidding, they are legitimately scared.
    That is the opposite of Americans who are of Hispanic decent tell me. It maybe the age difference of people we hangout with or the geography in which we live and so there is probably a split in this portion of American Citizens. In phoenix there is more crime so that might be a part of it.

I believe the last poll i saw showed 70% of Arizona citizens were in favor of this bill.