Thread: Burn out

Default Burn out

Hey, everyone.
    Lately, I have really re-dedicated myself. I have been lifting really hard as well as running my ass off, everyday. I had been seriously slacking before hand, and decided not to half-ass anything. I have had good results....my body fat has decreased significantly, and on top of that, I have grown a good amount of muscle, all in very, very short time (two weeks or so). My chest has really filled out in just a short time, and my lats are getting back to size as well (before I injured my shoulder). But, I have a question. How lenient should I be with rest? I really have been hitting fourth gear every time I work out, and I was doing hardly anything before hand. It was a large leap, to say the least. I feel like I may be getting burnt out because I didn't give myself time to adjust. Should I just suck it up and push harder (what I want to do, preferably), or should I hold back a little for now? Is there anything bad that can happen from jumping in to everything too quickly? Thanks.
    "Wanting to win, that is common to all. But working to win, the drive to go the extra mile, to push yourself while no one's looking..that is the mark of a true champion."

Default Re: Burn out

Your body needs rest, period. I try and rest at least one to two full days a week. Every six or seven weeks, I take an entire week off. I stretch and do yoga during that week, but no weight training at all. I am 39, so I am learning that I don't recover nearly as fast as I used to when I was younger. Keep training hard, and really listen to your body. If you have hit it hard for 4 days in a row, take a day and do a light jog if you feel you have to do something. That said, taking a day off to recuperate is important, it is also smart.
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

I think that you are really looking at rest the wrong way. You shouldn't be lenient with rest, you should be very STRICT with rest, as in plan it into your workout routine. The amount of rest you need depends upon how much and how hard you are pushing yourself. When I was lifting competitively I would take time off religiously. My off days varied a little from doing NOTHING at all (in fact I would use my "missed" workout in the morning to sleep in an extra hour or more) to light stretches and the most I would ever do is a VERY LIGHT lift (think warm up set done twice--that's it).

If you don't allow your body to rest and rebuild then you are just tearing your body down more and more. Quality rest is just as important as quality work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Normally, I allow myself an off day or two...generally, this is the weekend. I just don't want to slack to much. I might not be getting enough sleep during the week as well. Lifting and running hard every day and then getting five or six hours a night...
    "Wanting to win, that is common to all. But working to win, the drive to go the extra mile, to push yourself while no one's looking..that is the mark of a true champion."

If you're working out hard you should be getting more like 8-10 a night. Don't worry about slacking off too much if you back off for a week. Try taking a week, sleep in a bit or go to bed earlier and instead of a long workout spend 20-30 min stretching everyday that you would normally work out. You won't lose much (if any) with 1 week off. Then come back and hit it hard again after that.
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Hey, everyone,. just to update, I took about 4 or 5 days off, and right now I am feeling great. I've also changed up my diet and I have a lot more energy and feel revamped. Thanks, everyone.

Make sure to do that every couple of months, or whenever you are feeling worn down. If you don't give yourself time to rest and recover, you're not doing yourself an favors.

Instead of going six days on hard, one day off every week now, I am taking four to five days rest every four weeks. I have really had more energy. I need to start eating to totally support my training, but that's not hard to fix. Thanks, everyone.