Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I guess the blizzards in the Northeast proves that G W is a fable

Default Re: I guess the blizzards in the Northeast proves that G W is a fable

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    The environment is the same deal. Bjorn Lomborg has written a number of books on environmentalism and the cost/benefit of actions. This book: Amazon.com: Solutions for the World's Biggest Problems: Costs and Benefits (9780521715973): Bjorn Lomborg: Books is interesting because he takes a look at what he considers the biggest problems we face, and performs cost/benefit analysis on each of them. You can disagree with his conclusions, but at least he is thinking about global problems in a way that most people (governments at least) don't.
    I haven't read any of Bjorn's books, but I've heard him speak. The problem with cost-benefit analysis in a lot of environmental issues is that you're dealing with things that are almost impossible to put a value on: the exist of a species, biodiversity, ecosystem services, even human life in some cases. There is also the issue of timeframe, if you're only looking out 100 years (as his models did in the talk I was at) the cost-benefit is a lot different than if your looking at many future generations.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    Thanks for the objective link.

"Dakota Voice is based in Rapid City, South Dakota and features contributors from around the country. Dakota Voice examines local, state, national and world issues of interest to conservatives and Christians".
    Ah yes...shoot the messenger. Here's a more current report taken from "The British Telegraph"; that it's published by the Dakota Voice doesn't change the science. http://www.dakotavoice.com/2009/12/s...olar-activity/ Open the thread. If you don't like this 'messenger, click on red highlight 'telegraph' for the original article. The original article is a bit longer...the last paragraph, a key.
    Last edited by Berean; 04-08-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    I haven't read any of Bjorn's books, but I've heard him speak. The problem with cost-benefit analysis in a lot of environmental issues is that you're dealing with things that are almost impossible to put a value on: the exist of a species, biodiversity, ecosystem services, even human life in some cases. There is also the issue of timeframe, if you're only looking out 100 years (as his models did in the talk I was at) the cost-benefit is a lot different than if your looking at many future generations.
    Agree, but there is as much uncertainty about the value as there is about the cost.

Here's a message not made public.

Today, 02:28 PM
    Berean
    Redshirt

NASA report...
    The link just published the NASA report. You may not like who presented the NASA Science ??? Or is it because NASA refutes your foolish ideas?

I know all about NASA. They filmed the landing on the moon in an Alabama super secret facility.

BTW, who funds NASA?

Quote Originally Posted by Berean View Post
    Ah yes...shoot the messenger. Here's a more current report taken from "The British Telegraph"; that it's published by the Dakota Voice doesn't change the science. http://www.dakotavoice.com/2009/12/s...olar-activity/ Open the thread. If you don't like this 'messenger, click on red highlight 'telegraph' for the original article. The original article is a bit longer...the last paragraph, a key.
    Hey Washed Up... Here's the link meant for you...No comment? Check out the "The British Telegraph" original...see the last paragraph. See what an actual conspiracy is. (last paragraphs) "As anybody knows who follows the opinion polls...there has been a rapid collapse in the global warming *chimera..." (*your imaginary monster)
    Last edited by Berean; 04-09-2010 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    Here's a message not made public.

Today, 02:28 PM
    Berean
    Redshirt

NASA report...
    The link just published the NASA report. You may not like who presented the NASA Science ??? Or is it because NASA refutes your foolish ideas?
    So was there a point to publishing this this message on this thread?

Or is it because he refutes your foolish ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Berean View Post
    The 'telegraph' article describes a conference attened by 'more than 50 scientists, businessmen and lobby groups' which was organized by 'Danish group Climate Sense and the lobby group Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT)'. So we've got a meeting organized by lobbyists for businessmen and lobbyists which had a few scientists in attendence (do you think the scientists were a representative sample of the scientific community?).

Did you notice that the only actual quotes in the article were from a member of the lobby group that organized the meeting? The lack of any quotes from scientists means that you're just opperating under the assumption that the author of the article has the knowledge and journalistic integrity to accuratly relay the information they presented in the proper context. The article also provides no evidence for any of it's claims other than second hand renditions of people's opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Agree, but there is as much uncertainty about the value as there is about the cost.
    Especially when you're taking about public resources, you run into a lot of 'tragedy of the commons' type situations which makes accurately valueing resources next to impossible.