Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I guess the blizzards in the Northeast proves that G W is a fable

Default Re: I guess the blizzards in the Northeast proves that G W is a fable

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Did the climate ever change before the evil stain we call man came along?
    Did the economy ever contract before the evil stain we call big government came along?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    Did the economy ever contract before the evil stain we call big government came along?
    Sure. But big government makes it worse when it spends good money after bad trying to control the economy. The economy moves in natural cycles, up and down. Big government makes the mistake of believing they are smarter than the market itself. Pretty much like the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Berean View Post
    NASA study shows SUN responsible for warming...Liberals wish us to believe otherwise; Liberals want to control the dumbed down 'sheeple' and make $$ from their contrivances. http://www.dakotavoice.com/2009/06/n...lanet-warming/ Luke 21:25 "There shall be signs in the sun..."
    Congrats. You are the first spinner. Not surprising tho. I had you in the top three. I'm waiting for the other two.

NASA study shows SUN responsible for warming...Liberals wish us to believe otherwise; Liberals want to control the dumbed down 'sheeple' and make $$ from their contrivances. http://www.dakotavoice.com/2009/06/n...lanet-warming/ Luke 21:25 "There shall be signs in the sun..."
    Thanks for the objective link.

"Dakota Voice is based in Rapid City, South Dakota and features contributors from around the country. Dakota Voice examines local, state, national and world issues of interest to conservatives and Christians".

Sure. But big government makes it worse when it spends good money after bad trying to control the economy. The economy moves in natural cycles, up and down. Big government makes the mistake of believing they are smarter than the market itself. Pretty much like the environment.
    Oooooh. That nasty big government.

Government is only "big" when the dems are in control, right? I don't recall you bitching about Big Gov when the repubs were in power.

This article sites a study which concludes that one factor (the sun) has an impact on our climate and then draws the conclusion that because the sun has some impact nothing else has any.

Either the guy who wrote it didn't pass middle-school science or he's intentionally misrepresenting the information.

So something being cyclical in nature doesn't mean that people can't have an effect on it?

Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    Oooooh. That nasty big government.

Government is only "big" when the dems are in control, right? I don't recall you bitching about Big Gov when the repubs were in power.
    Not true at all. Demonstrably false. You have a bad memory.

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    So something being cyclical in nature doesn't mean that people can't have an effect on it?
    That's a good point that does deserve some further explanation. It seems like very little cost/benefit analysis is ever done when it comes to government intervention in either the economy or the environment. Most people in government believe action - any sort of action - is always preferable to non-action.

Propping up AIG, facilitating a deal for Bear Stearns, pouring money into TARP - was this all money well spent? With Bear and AIG, all we heard about was the need to protect counterparties to trade positions and how a downward spiral would begin if the government didn't step in. It turned out that many counterparties to AIG positions were Goldman Sachs and other large financial institutions. That's what happens when you have an integrated financial market - risk is shared among all parties. Did anyone learn anything from the financial crash? Not in my opinion - the government still hasn't ratcheted back Fannie, Freddie, or Sally's leverage. The Fed is still keeping the overnight rate at a minimum level.

The environment is the same deal. Bjorn Lomborg has written a number of books on environmentalism and the cost/benefit of actions. This book: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Worlds-Biggest-Problems-Benefits/dp/0521715970/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270753286&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: Solutions for the World's Biggest Problems: Costs and Benefits (9780521715973): Bjorn Lomborg: Books[/ame] is interesting because he takes a look at what he considers the biggest problems we face, and performs cost/benefit analysis on each of them. You can disagree with his conclusions, but at least he is thinking about global problems in a way that most people (governments at least) don't.