Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is responsible for bullying?

Default Re: Who is responsible for bullying?

Parents shaped their children's behavior for 5 years before they even went to school.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

The school should be held liable along with the parents if both parties were found to have known about the bullying and did nothing. If either or is the only body to know then they are separately accountable IMO.

The kids who are being bullied need to know that if they make a complaint their bully will be dealt with. The bully needs to be dealt with before it gets to a level that has severe consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieJ2 View Post
    Parents shaped their children's behavior for 5 years before they even went to school.

I am sure that we all know people when we were in school that behaved entirely different than what their parents taught them to.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    I am sure that we all know people when we were in school that behaved entirely different than what their parents taught them to.
    In my experience, the nut doesn't fall too far from the tree.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    That's true. Read any book about Columbine and you'll find that Klebold and Harris weren't bullied.

What books are there? I would seriously like to know. I heard that these two were bullied. That info came from whoever read there rants about why they were about to do what they did. I don't know if it was law officials or parents, but someone said that they wrote about being bullied.

But, in a shocking development, I agree with WUW on this. You have to try harder as a parent. It has happened forever and will continue. Self confidence can go a long way against it.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    What books are there? I would seriously like to know. I heard that these two were bullied. That info came from whoever read there rants about why they were about to do what they did. I don't know if it was law officials or parents, but someone said that they wrote about being bullied.

But, in a shocking development, I agree with WUW on this. You have to try harder as a parent. It has happened forever and will continue. Self confidence can go a long way against it.
    Here is one: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Columbine-Dave-Cullen/dp/0446546925/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270250983&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Columbine (9780446546928): Dave Cullen: Books[/ame]

I haven't read the book, but I read the NY Times book review of the book. The summary on the Amazon page addresses the bullying. There was another Columbine book reviewed at the same time and the same conclusion was reached. I don't recall the name of that book though.

Locally , Carmel High School, a rather upper middle class community, just made headlines for abusing students in the locker room by locking them in lockers and then there were a bunch of charges filed later (which were sealed as the students were under 17), however , sexual battery and harassment were filed against an 18 year old .
    I disagree that teachers should be held accountable as if a teacher hits a kid or touches one they can be fired and blackballed for life -at least in IN. I speak from experience as in 1987 I was working with EH kids and was attacked and caught the kid in a body lock and laid him down and then put in a double chicken wing until the authorities were notified . When the authorities arrived I was hand cuffed and grilled by some clown with the IQ of a fence post for several hours .
    I was ''released'' and told NOT to leave the state .The next morning I was vindicated as the young man said he ''wished he could blow up the world '' and was found to have a straight blade he'd stolen from Drafting class in his possession. I gave my 2 weeks notice that day and left to teach in Arizona a month later .
    I miss coaching but would NEVER return to teaching -most teachers live in fear 1/2 the time .

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    I disagree that teachers should be held accountable as if a teacher hits a kid or touches one they can be fired and blackballed for life -at least in IN. I speak from experience as in 1987 I was working with EH kids and was attacked and caught the kid in a body lock and laid him down and then put in a double chicken wing until the authorities were notified . When the authorities arrived I was hand cuffed and grilled by some clown with the IQ of a fence post for several hours .
    I was ''released'' and told NOT to leave the state .The next morning I was vindicated as the young man said he ''wished he could blow up the world '' and was found to have a straight blade he'd stolen from Drafting class in his possession. I gave my 2 weeks notice that day and left to teach in Arizona a month later .
    I miss coaching but would NEVER return to teaching -most teachers live in fear 1/2 the time .
    It's a fine line, but we must weigh the evil of abusive teachers on one hand and the right of anyone, including teachers to defend themselves and to do their job, which may include using physical force to stop or prevent a violent act. The "guilty until proven innocent" attitude that you encountered is an unfortunate knee jerk reaction that discourages good teachers from proper intervention.

As I said above, though, I do think teachers should be held accountable if they know that a student is in danger and fail to act. It is a responsibility that comes with the job.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Teachers who break up fights or intervene are risking their careers -I could NOT look away so I left the profession .
    Give Teachers back the RIGHT to discipline a child or to at least intervene and I am behind you 100 %. But each time a teacher is looking at losing their livelihood over breaking up a fight something has gone WAY wrong .