Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Georges St. Pierre Is Not Too Small for Anderson Silva

Default Re: Georges St. Pierre Is Not Too Small for Anderson Silva

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Oliverbush View Post
    Claudale don't sleep on andersons wrestling. You may remember him dominating marquart with wrestling before finishing him on the ground. Granted marquart's camp can't wrestle to save their lives...
    Oh sheet.
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

www.euromitsu.com

I agree with the author. Silva is still the favorite if they ever meet, but not a monstrous favorite. It would be fascinating, if nothing else.
    I heart Jazzy B. White.
    Indianamat.com

Adolf, Marquart's wrestling skills took another hit in his last fight.

I agree Silva has good takedown defense, but GSP seems to take everyone down on the first shot and he knows not to stand with AS.

I think GSP could pull out a boring decision if it were a 3 rounder, but with a 5 rounder, I could see there being a few standups and eventually, AS would hurt him.
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

That's a good point Claudale. Marquart's wrestling seems to be regressing. At one time he was actually decent. I'm wondering what changed over there that caused his take downs to look down right awful and his take down defense to be virtually non existent. Either way, Anderson at the very least hospitalizes him and possibly ends his life. We don't need to see this mismatch, not when there are more evenly matched options out there.
    Lets go Brent!

Quote Originally Posted by clmetal View Post
    Adolf, Marquart's wrestling skills took another hit in his last fight.

I agree Silva has good takedown defense, but GSP seems to take everyone down on the first shot and he knows not to stand with AS.

I think GSP could pull out a boring decision if it were a 3 rounder, but with a 5 rounder, I could see there being a few standups and eventually, AS would hurt him.
    Silva has good takedown defense? He has been taken down in most of his fights including marquardt whos wrestling is practically non existent. GSP would take him down with out much of an issue. the key would be whether he could cause damage on the ground, because as you mentioned if he kept getting stood up he would get hurt at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    Silva has good takedown defense? He has been taken down in most of his fights including marquardt whos wrestling is practically non existent. GSP would take him down with out much of an issue. the key would be whether he could cause damage on the ground, because as you mentioned if he kept getting stood up he would get hurt at some point.
    I remember Dan had a hard time getting him down (of course, Dan doesn't exactly shoot on people).

I don't remember Marquart exactly taking him down, but I haven't watched that fight in a while so you might be right.

I'm also thinking that AS would hurt GSP at least as much from his back as a GSP would on top and I don't think GSP has the best threshold for pain. I also think that would make him weaker as the fight goes on.
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

Yea henderson had to get to the clinch and to do that he had to get past silvas hands and kicks. Once you get in on silvas legs or get him in an upper body lock its not very difficult to take him down. Henderson also seemed to try to strike with silva a bit and that was not the smartest move.

Marquardt took silva down in the first round and was on top for much of the round.

It will always be dangerous on the feet against silva as his striking is so good but gsps timing is impeccable and his explosiveness and level changes have been unstoppable for the most part up to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by clmetal View Post
    I remember Dan had a hard time getting him down (of course, Dan doesn't exactly shoot on people).

I don't remember Marquart exactly taking him down, but I haven't watched that fight in a while so you might be right.

I'm also thinking that AS would hurt GSP at least as much from his back as a GSP would on top and I don't think GSP has the best threshold for pain. I also think that would make him weaker as the fight goes on.
    GSP doesn't have the best threshold? Didn't he win his last fight with a torn groin?
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

www.euromitsu.com

One thing that has been very consistent and impressive about Silva is that he elevates his performance against the best competition. It's the lesser guys that he generally has off days against.
    GSP would have to be picture-perfect in execution for a long duration to beat Silva, although we haven't really seen Silva take a bad beating on his back and I have some doubts about whether or not he could absorb a thumping like Fitch.
    I heart Jazzy B. White.
    Indianamat.com