Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conference tournaments

Default Re: Conference tournaments

Because you can't just add a rule on a whim either Gold. Especially one of this magnitude.

Who is to say that it wouldn't effect the way people draft.

Thanks for calling my team bad Herkey. That was pretty relevant to the discussion at hand.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

When your done trying to be the message board know it all you'll get over it.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

I havent followed this very closely, but I think that if the rules last year allowed for this, and you made no mention of changing the rules, then you have an obligation to keep the conference rule in place. As payton said, guys have built their teams around conferences and I dont think its fair at this point to say "no that doesn't count."

These are things that REALLY need to be established at the beginning of the year.. however since you messed up on that one, I think it behooves you to be generous (even if you are a potential benefactory). People shouldn't potentially fail to qualify just because you weren't clear enough on the rules
    Gold is an idiot.

Again Lost, nobody gives a shit what YOU think WE should do in OUR league. This league this year has nothing to do with last year. The rules were set up and some of them were different. I asked about this rule the very first day the rules came out. You can look at the rules thread. It wasnt in the rules at the beginning of THIS season so we probably shouldnt change it now. Wether or not the rule was in place last year has no bearing on this years league. It's not a league where we keep the same players from year to year. We have guys in this league that have never played before.

BTW, Russ helps out with our league, or has in the past, with scoring and keeping rosters up to date. So he is welcome to share his opinions with us. But you have nothing to do with this and nobody cares for your opinion. I have never, ever, heard anyone say that we should consult LoSt to help clarify a league rule. Why you continue to think you are so important that we would care what you think about anything that has to do with our league is beyond me.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

I guess I have a slightly different perspective than LoSt. I was not part of the league last year and had no idea that winning conference week was a way into the playoffs last year. If I thought it was a possibility perhaps I would have done things differently.

But I simply went by what the rules have stated since the beginning --the teams with the 6 highest cumulative scores from week 1 through the conference tournaments make the playoffs. There was no mention of any other way to make the playoffs.

I am right on the bubble of making the playoffs right now and adding this rule could only help me but I wouldn't be for changing the rules at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by LoSt View Post
    I havent followed this very closely, but I think that if the rules last year allowed for this, and you made no mention of changing the rules, then you have an obligation to keep the conference rule in place. As payton said, guys have built their teams around conferences and I dont think its fair at this point to say "no that doesn't count."

These are things that REALLY need to be established at the beginning of the year.. however since you messed up on that one, I think it behooves you to be generous (even if you are a potential benefactory). People shouldn't potentially fail to qualify just because you weren't clear enough on the rules
    My buddy, you are wrong.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

There's a little testosterone out here tonight eh?

this is my first year in this league, and yes i had to do my drafting second hand, although i did do a ton of research, but if you were drafting for a conference week win........ why? just to get into nationals week? on that note, i like the idea of a blank slate for ncaa's. the more the merrier i say! lets find out how good your team really is! as long as you've been posting your line-up every week, and doing your part in finding your scores if you have the time, why not. i say let top ten into ncaa's, after all the ncaa lets 32 at each weight go at it.

disclaimer: i had a few drinks sorry if this does not make sense

oh yeah, and this is our league and lost should get...........lost

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    Again Lost, nobody gives a shit what YOU think WE should do in OUR league. This league this year has nothing to do with last year. The rules were set up and some of them were different. I asked about this rule the very first day the rules came out. You can look at the rules thread. It wasnt in the rules at the beginning of THIS season so we probably shouldnt change it now. Wether or not the rule was in place last year has no bearing on this years league. It's not a league where we keep the same players from year to year. We have guys in this league that have never played before.

BTW, Russ helps out with our league, or has in the past, with scoring and keeping rosters up to date. So he is welcome to share his opinions with us. But you have nothing to do with this and nobody cares for your opinion. I have never, ever, heard anyone say that we should consult LoSt to help clarify a league rule. Why you continue to think you are so important that we would care what you think about anything that has to do with our league is beyond me.
    You are a funny little man Herkey. I'm an active player and reigning champ who plays in multiple leagues and I also commish a league of my own, I think I have a bit more credibility then the village idiot when it comes to league rules. Moreover, Gold has personally told me that he does not mind me sharing my opinions on fantasy rules, so the only person who's opinion really matters does care what I think.

That being said, I think I have to change my position on this one. I was initially reacting to a PM by Payton which only told half of the story. Upon further reflection I would tend to agree that if the rules were clearly stated at the beginning of the year, thats what should be used. You hate to see people miss out on a chance to qualify because they mis-understood the rules, but its their obligation to read them and ask for clarification if something is not clear.

I do think that a conference wildcard is a great idea and should be a staple of any league, but my rule of thumb as a commish is that anything that would have affected peoples draft strategies can't be changed mid-year, no matter how much popular support it has. The rules that are established are what determine the team people try to get, and its unfair to drastically alter them after the fact. As some people have said in this thread, they would have drafted/traded for a better conference team if they'd known it could get them a wildcard berth.
    Gold is an idiot.