Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible to have a high protein vegetarian diet?

Default Re: Is it possible to have a high protein vegetarian diet?

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    92-105 grams of protein sounds pretty low for an active 215 pounder. 0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight is a pretty common recommendation for active people, but it's been shown that some people need as much as 2.6grams/kg to maintain a positive nitrogen balance.

Pesticides and herbicides are stored in the body but they have to get into the body first. Eating foods raised with pesticides doesn't mean your ingesting them, washing usually does a pretty good job.

Cholesterol in eggs shouldn't be a worry regardless of what else you take, dietary cholesterol doesn't really affect blood cholesterol to begin with.
    I'm 210. Actually Adele Davis in her books suggested 1 gram of protein for every 3 pounds of body weight. I use 1 gram per 2 pounds as a "normal" diet. If I am training then I up it to more like 1 gram to every 1.5 pounds. So for me, 100 grams of protein is good for every day. I know quite a few vegetarians who get a lot less!

Washing them does not get rid of them if there oil based & most are. Washing them in chlorinated water causes many vegetables & fruits to absorb the chlorine & retain the toxins. Also chemical fertilizers are usually acidic salts that effect the amount of minerals are in the soil to begin with hence they are weaker by default.

True on the cholesterol but most people have been so well indoctrinated as to it all being bad I had to put that in there. The lecithin handles any sort of undesirable fats in the blood plus it is great source of B vites.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Well a few things. First I am always on the go and find myself unable to avoid(or resist) fast food. My lunch is typically a frozen meal.(which I know are NOT good for me)In the off season I spend my time bulking up, and hitting the weights hard and eating everything not nailed down in an attempt to gain some size.(my natural height/weight is 5'8 128 lbs) I get up to around 150-155 in the summer eating tons of meat/protein shakes/supplements/fats, etc.

I love meat of all kinds. I was raised on southern cooking and I don't know how easily I could give it up.

It's not that I couldn't eat those things that you are eating, it's that I wouldn't want to EXCLUSIVELY eat things like that(I.E. give up junk food/meat, milk, etc)

I suppose the main reason is that I'm in extremely good health. I exercise daily and strenuously. I rarely get sick. Right now I am at about 4.5-5% body fat eating whatever I want. I realize that the foods I eat may slowly be building up and doing damage, but my body(and genes) tell me that I have little to worry about.

My wife is an extremely healthy eater and gets on me for how I eat so believe me I've heard much of this before. There are other reasons but that's a small snapshot of why I wouldnt be able to eat like that(but admire those who do)
    5% body fat? Are you sure. That is REALLY low. So low I don't know if the body could function like that. I have seen bodybuilders @ 12% & I thought that they were ridiculous. I would recheck your numbers.

Just remember when you hit 35-40 the body stops making human growth hormone & co-enzyme Q10, which starts the body's metab on a cellular level. The stuff you think you are getting away with now will catch up with you later. Most diseases are cumulative in effect & started years before you discover them.

There is one national grocery store chain I would look into & that is Whole Foods. If you don't have a good "health food" store in your area chances are you have one of them. The newer ones have a GREAT salad bar. ALL Organic & $7.99 per lb. I eat there once/twice per week.

If you are on the go, see if there is one of them where you are. You can get fried chicken that is at least free range organically fed non growth hormone. Also if there is stuff you already normally buy like milk & eggs at least try to buy it organic. That would be a start.

As I said sometimes eating poorly makes you crave the junk food. It can also be a sign of other problems like yeast infections, (Candida). And it can create situations where diabetes becomes a factor later & you don't want that. I have found that often people who are acidic initially don't like alkaline foods or healthier foods. Sometimes it is just a matter of will power. And if you read that book you might find that you are not eating the correct foods for your blood type.

I know lots of FIT people who are NOT healthy. Remember Jim Fix the running guru? Real fit. Died of a heart attack @ 55 or something. He wasn't healthy. FB players have a shorter life expectancy then the general populace. So it's really up to you in the end if you want to change what it is you are doing. You found out later in life that you wished you had!

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    5% body fat? Are you sure. That is REALLY low. So low I don't know if the body could function like that. I have seen bodybuilders @ 12% & I thought that they were ridiculous. I would recheck your numbers.
    Yeah, fat tests in H.S. and in a fitness class we did these pretty scientific tests. I'm an extremely skinny person. Not something I enjoy I would boast about because it bothers me. I get cold in 70 degree weather, it's really annoying, actually.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.